5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still not bad for a piece of mind that it will no longer be an issue.

Definitely. A good plan B. I think I’d rather try just putting a dab of rtv on the cracks if it happens again. Would be nice to maintain the original options. But you’re right, there’s something to be said for piece of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely. A good plan B. I think I’d rather try just putting a dab of rtv on the cracks if it happens again. Would be nice to maintain the original options. But you’re right, there’s something to be said for piece of mind.

Very true. If/when mine cracks, I plan the RTV route first. If it doesn’t work or still leaks, etc, then I’ll go the solid window route.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has not cracked, maybe due to never having opened it? If it were to crack in the future, I would use "flowable" silicone along the top and be done with it.

Opening the window doesn’t seem to matter. I’ve never opened mine and have had it crack twice. I finally opened it on the day it was going to the dealer for the new glass. Just to see what it looked like when open. Would be an option I would have never really wanted or needed anyway.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Opening the window doesn’t seem to matter. I’ve never opened mine and have had it crack twice. I finally opened it on the day it was going to the dealer for the new glass. Just to see what it looked like when open. Would be an option I would have never really wanted or needed anyway.

My father-in-law opens his daily an he’s had his about a year and zero cracks.

drect

Reaction score
My cracks (both sides of the window opening) were there when I noticed this thread many, many pages ago. Didnt detect any active water leaks. Yesterday is the first known visible water leaks on both sides. I stuffed paper towels today while in the office and both were wet at end of a rainy day. I was hoping the cracks were superficial but as many others, not the case. Will plan to head to the dealer when I can. Seems like a lost cause with the replacement window performing the same?

Nodnarb

Reaction score
Updates.. mine has been in dealer for a week. Dropped off 9/21. They have yet to hear back for approval of new window. Luckily I got a loaner. Still would rather have my 6 month old truck! This sucks and I'm amazed it isn't a recall by now.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Updates.. mine has been in dealer for a week. Dropped off 9/21. They have yet to hear back for approval of new window. Luckily I got a loaner. Still would rather have my 6 month old truck! This sucks and I'm amazed it isn't a recall by now.

I took mine in on 9-11-20. They inspected the window (replacement approved by fca) and did a couple recalls and oil change. Called me a couple days later to pick up my truck until the rear window comes in. Haven’t heard anything since then so after calling a couple times I finally was told last Friday that I should know by this Tuesday when the window would be in. I’m guessing some time this week that I’ll drop the truck off. They did mention someone else is having their windshield replaced and I think they’re trying to schedule the window company to do both on the same day.

Nodnarb

Reaction score
I took mine in on 9-11-20. They inspected the window (replacement approved by fca) and did a couple recalls and oil change. Called me a couple days later to pick up my truck until the rear window comes in. Haven’t heard anything since then so after calling a couple times I finally was told last Friday that I should know by this Tuesday when the window would be in. I’m guessing some time this week that I’ll drop the truck off. They did mention someone else is having their windshield replaced and I think they’re trying to schedule the window company to do both on the same day.
Are they sealing the leak temporarily for you? My truck won't fit in my garage so completely open to elements. Guess at that point I'd rather them keep it and be responsible.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Are they sealing the leak temporarily for you? My truck won't fit in my garage so completely open to elements. Guess at that point I'd rather them keep it and be responsible.

No they aren’t. I replaced the 3rd brake light seal with a fresh piece of the auto marine stuff I put on in May. And when it rains, I slightly wedge a microfiber towel between the plastic trim piece and headliner.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Why are they holding your truck? That’s nuts

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
Thanks to Mark (RamCares) and my case manager Joelle, mine got approved for replacement and rear window assembly just came in. Just need to schedule an appointment now to get it replaced.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks to Mark (RamCares) and my case manager Joelle, mine got approved for replacement and rear window assembly just came in. Just need to schedule an appointment now to get it replaced.

Thank you for the shout out, @Ken Robbins! I am glad to hear this update! And of course, always a PM away should you need further support.

Mark
RamCares

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Just an update in case anyone wanted to know lol. I’m dropping my truck off Monday afternoon so they can install the new rear window on Tuesday.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I got my truck back today from the dealership for the window replacement and I’m furious!! I didn’t notice this until I got home but someone destroyed the door jamb paint. They gouged the sh!t out of it, dented it and scratched / gouged the plastic trim too. I’m calling them tomorrow about this but not sure I even want them to try and fix it. The only thing I can think of is getting a signed letter from the dealership owner stating that I won’t be responsible for this damage if I get charged at my least end.

How does this even happen? This is a crew cab truck with a ton of space. They couldn’t get a seat out without fcking something up? And then to less then half a$$ “repair” it with sloppy a$$ touch up paint and then not even say anything to me as if I’m not gonna notice it!! SMH...

What do u guys think I should do? I know one thing for sure if this or any other vehicle I’m leasing starts leaking, it will stay that way. I will not take it in to avoid bullish!t like this.

0F389542-C3F9-48E7-BD46-8A10E3554AB8.jpeg 8D479116-282A-4725-8D31-672156844A9D.jpeg FEC9563C-CC6A-4305-A268-DF36E18AE17D.jpeg 2FA18457-64D8-4A4C-AF23-FAAAF0C59D7F.jpeg BC9DFB61-9C51-4AF2-9C06-7068F80C5A96.jpeg B96CDA5F-D6A1-43C0-8D8B-23C84235BDB1.jpeg 40700186-88FF-4EBC-A0C5-231C85D80A53.jpeg

Last edited:

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like they dropped the rear seat or something when they removed it. Definitely call dealer and also reach out to ram cares so they can back you

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, looks like the glass guy dragged the seat out. That sucks big time!
As far as what to do, maybe they can replace the plastic parts and do some legit body work on the metal and paint.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, the dealership did the removal of everything and the glass guy came in and did that part. I’ll get some clarification tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread