5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice. How long has that worked out for you? I'll probably do something similar to this if it becomes necessary.
Truck only has 1321 miles. So about 1300 miles so far haha. I did the same on my 2 4th gens that leaked and never had an issue.

jeffauclair

Reaction score
So got my truck back. I do not have the invoice because I need to bring back the truck next week for the brake light that was not stock. What they did on the sunroof was actually a star case, not a TSB. They replace the whole foam seal that touch the sunroof and pano. No wind noise anymore.
While they worked on the seal, they must have touch/move the pano sunshade. Now when I open it or close it, the fabric looks loose and got some wave on the passenger side. Like if it was stretch or sloopy. Does anyone knows how to tighten or play with this?

TH3JUICEMAN

Reaction score
Got my truck back yesterday after having it replaced. I will say the slider is a lot smoother, but haven’t water tested it yet. Mine only leaked when going through a touchless car wash, and even then it was only a few drops.

I guess I’m lucky in that I trust my dealer, and helps my brother works there
Have run the truck through the touchless car wash 3x this week (yeah, I’m bored lol) and no leaks. Hopefully it holds up and doesn’t crack. FWIW my brother has had his 18 Laramie for a year and his hasn’t cracked.

omamatt

Reaction score
Have run the truck through the touchless car wash 3x this week (yeah, I’m bored lol) and no leaks. Hopefully it holds up and doesn’t crack. FWIW my brother has had his 18 Laramie for a year and his hasn’t cracked.

What cracks? I thought this was an issue with the seal, not the lens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TH3JUICEMAN

Reaction score
What cracks? I thought this was an issue with the seal, not the lens?

My rear window was cracked, and only leaked through the crack. As far as I can tell my 3rd brake light isn’t leaking. I’ve never had water spots in the headliner either.

omamatt

Reaction score
My rear window was cracked, and only leaked through the crack. As far as I can tell my 3rd brake light isn’t leaking. I’ve never had water spots in the headliner either.

Ok. Sorry for my confusion. I thought the seal shown was being used on the third brake light. Yes, the window ordeal is a complete joke and Ram needs to fix it and stop patching it.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also want to make sure you clean the body where the seal goes against the truck, I noticed a build up under the gasket so I made sure the clean with achohol before reinstalling.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok. Sorry for my confusion. I thought the seal shown was being used on the third brake light. Yes, the window ordeal is a complete joke and Ram needs to fix it and stop patching it.

What “patches” has Ram being used? I wasn’t aware of any “ patches” that have been use for the cracked window problem or the third brake light leaking problem. Can you be more specific?

TH3JUICEMAN

Reaction score
What “patches” has Ram being used? I wasn’t aware of any “ patches” that have been use for the cracked window problem or the third brake light leaking problem. Can you be more specific?
I could be wrong, but I think what he means is “patching” it by installing the same flawed rear window which will more than likely crack again.

mrauenzahn

Reaction score
February 2020 build date. Crack faint but there. This is a hot spot in there molding process. Obviously 2 years later they still don't care. No leak yet.
b27a5ec17213959795f46cda8be4ddf1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

omamatt

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think what he means is “patching” it by installing the same flawed rear window which will more than likely crack again.

That’s what I meant.

omamatt

Reaction score
I thought they were replacing the whole back window ?
Multiple leaks going on. Seems the two most common "rear" leaks are the Third Brake Light OR the Rear Sliding Window. If the cracks appear on the rear window, they replace with what looks to be the same window, however, the part numbers are different.

Maconi

Reaction score
400 miles, my Ram already has the crack. No water ingress (yet) at least.

I've seen water spots on the window for a while now, but finally visibly confirmed that the cracks are now leaking. Going to have to schedule a replacement soon.

20200426_082317.jpg

AlJ

Reaction score
I agree. I had the crack, had the rear window replaced and it is still leaking. The third brake light is next to be replaced, which is a whole lot simpler than replacing the rear window.

Users who are viewing this thread