5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

TH3JUICEMAN

Reaction score
Got my truck back yesterday after having it replaced. I will say the slider is a lot smoother, but haven’t water tested it yet. Mine only leaked when going through a touchless car wash, and even then it was only a few drops.

I guess I’m lucky in that I trust my dealer, and helps my brother works there

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you please cite your reference that clearly states that if you can see the frame cracks that if you remove the third brake light you can see the cracks. I am skeptical about this. If true, then you should be able to remove the third brake light and see the frame any time. Does that make sense? If anything, if you remove the third brake light, what you should see is a bead of sealant between the cab and glass?
Go remove your 3rd brake light and look for yourself. You can see the window frame. Also several people here and on the Facebook groups with cracked frames have posted pictures of the crack visible on the exterior. That’s why it leaks once it’s cracked... fill the crack with silicone, no more leak.

Beatle9999

Reaction score
No leaks and it rained almost all last week. I’ve been checking every time it rains the past few months for leaks but nothing yet.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Go remove your 3rd brake light and look for yourself. You can see the window frame. Also several people here and on the Facebook groups with cracked frames have posted pictures of the crack visible on the exterior. That’s why it leaks once it’s cracked... fill the crack with silicone, no more leak.
Nope, the 3rd brake light had nothing to do with visibility to the cracks that are to the sides of the slider. Yes to blk rtv if you dont want the dealer touching your truck...

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey everyone, 2020 Crew Cab Rebel owner here - build date Oct 2019. From the day I bought my truck, the rear window frame had a mark on it that looked like it had a microscope crack or was on the verge of cracking. Well, temps hit the 30s last night and we have had days of rain (not typical in SoCal), and this morning when I went out to the truck to grab something I noticed the interior of the truck was very humid. Felt around and noticed the rear driver side corner of my headliner was damp, then noticed that the stress mark was in fact now a crack. I called the dealer and was told to wait until Monday to bring the truck in, so in an effort to not have my $60k Rebel smell like mold, I took the heat gun out and dried the headliner. In doing that, the light heat (less than 100 degrees F at the site of the crack) seemed to cause the plastic window frame to expand and make the crack visibly disappear. So, I took some compressed air and got the frame cold again, and the crack was back. So, what I've gathered from this experiment was that the plastic used to make the window frames has considerable expansion/contraction properties in typical environmental temps. Far too much for something that should be glued in place and stationary on a vehicle. The manufacturer needs to utilize a different polymer that is more robust to environmental temperature changes.

Now, what I'd like to know, is why do all of our window frames crack in the same location?
I have a 2020 Laramie, picked it up last October. Noticed the crack couple of weeks ago. I have 5500 miles. I should still be covered right?? I’m gonna call the dealer this coming week.

Hi @75Jimmy & @Beatle9999 - If you are in need of any additional support addressing this with your dealer, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via PM!

Got my truck back yesterday after having it replaced. I will say the slider is a lot smoother, but haven’t water tested it yet. Mine only leaked when going through a touchless car wash, and even then it was only a few drops.

I guess I’m lucky in that I trust my dealer, and helps my brother works there

Hi @TH3JUICEMAN - Please be sure to keep us updated as you monitor this! We are just a PM away if any additional support is needed on this.

Mark
RamCares

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, so got the 'Tesl;a' windshield noise seal: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1DXSH5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits very well, you need to stretch it a bit to get it through the gap between glass and cab, but it slips in very nicely and you don't see it at all. Maybe this $9.00 fix will eliminate the risks of having it replaced. Also, if you don't want to mess with RTV, this might be a cleaner solution. I have 2 more seal/trims coming this week but this tesla one will be hard to beat. Since we're dealing with tiny cracks, I hope this is enough to block the water.

It's too damn windy and cold for me to put all of it in and take photos today, but i tried a 3 inch area and it worked well.

Cjccj4

Reaction score
I'm not convinced that the replacement ones are any better, but I don't think anyone who has had it replaced has had trouble with the new ones but it might be too soon to tell. I don't think anyone who had the cracks had water coming in elsewhere because of the cracks. The photos that you see in this thread all show water coming out of the cracks, if the crack went all the way to the outside.
I just had mine replaced about 2 weeks ago and the first rain with the new window, it leaked. Less but still leaked. It’s back at the shop now.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had mine replaced about 2 weeks ago and the first rain with the new window, it leaked. Less but still leaked. It’s back at the shop now.
oh that just sucks. The unit itself is pretty idiot proof, literally just peel and stick. Did you eliminate sources like the 3rd brake light or shark fin antenna?

jeffauclair

Reaction score
I re torqued my third brake light screws and so far my head liner has been dry since doing so, moderate rain today and no leak. I'm guessing I did not torque the screws enough when I initially changed out my third brake light bulbs for LED's. Will wait for a torrential rain and retest before I assume the problem is fixed.
Where was the stain on your headliner before you re-torque the brake light? Mine just leaked last night, and dealer are close because of COVID so I want to do the more I can myself. Water stain are on the headliner only. Window is not crack( or seem not cracked). So i assume the light is the issue.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where was the stain on your headliner before you re-torque the brake light? Mine just leaked last night, and dealer are close because of COVID so I want to do the more I can myself. Water stain are on the headliner only. Window is not crack( or seem not cracked). So i assume the light is the issue.

The water stain was by the drivers side speaker, that said it did end up leaking again and I ended up replacing the brake light and it has been dry since so I'm confident it was the brake light and not the window at least to this point.

75Jimmy

Reaction score
OK, so got the 'Tesl;a' windshield noise seal: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1DXSH5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits very well, you need to stretch it a bit to get it through the gap between glass and cab, but it slips in very nicely and you don't see it at all. Maybe this $9.00 fix will eliminate the risks of having it replaced. Also, if you don't want to mess with RTV, this might be a cleaner solution. I have 2 more seal/trims coming this week but this tesla one will be hard to beat. Since we're dealing with tiny cracks, I hope this is enough to block the water.

It's too damn windy and cold for me to put all of it in and take photos today, but i tried a 3 inch area and it worked well.

Looking forward to a picture. I might follow your lead on this idea.

AlJ

Reaction score
The water stain was by the drivers side speaker, that said it did end up leaking again and I ended up replacing the brake light and it has been dry since so I'm confident it was the brake light and not the window at least to this point.
I had the crack in the rear window frame. Had the rear window replaced and it still leaks, but not as bad. I removed the third brake light assembly last week and the bottom of the gasket was saturated. I could squeeze water out of it. Did you find a similar condition when you removed your third brake light assembly?

jeffauclair

Reaction score
Truck is at the dealer right now. They said it was the brake light causing the leak. Mine part number was ending by AD and I think the new leak proof (loll) version is AE. They also said they have ordered a roof or sunroof stripe that was attached to a TSB. Guess it's because of the wind noise? Haven't found any TSB regarding pano roof stripe or seal....

tonyplants

Reaction score
Truck is at the dealer right now. They said it was the brake light causing the leak. Mine part number was ending by AD and I think the new leak proof (loll) version is AE. They also said they have ordered a roof or sunroof stripe that was attached to a TSB. Guess it's because of the wind noise? Haven't found any TSB regarding pano roof stripe or seal....
Can you ask the dealer for the TSB number and post it please. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cjccj4

Reaction score
oh that just sucks. The unit itself is pretty idiot proof, literally just peel and stick. Did you eliminate sources like the 3rd brake light or shark fin antenna?
I am not doing any of the work. The dealership is working on it.

tonyplants

Reaction score
I will post the invoice of the service done once I pick the truck for sure
I had my rear window replaced, then the 3rd brake light. So far so good, but I'm curious about the "strip" they may have referenced. Like you, I know there's TSBs for the 3rd brake light and rear window frame.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the crack in the rear window frame. Had the rear window replaced and it still leaks, but not as bad. I removed the third brake light assembly last week and the bottom of the gasket was saturated. I could squeeze water out of it. Did you find a similar condition when you removed your third brake light assembly?
If your brake light gasket is that wet, 9 times out of 10 that’s your leak.

omamatt

Reaction score
If your brake light gasket is that wet, 9 times out of 10 that’s your leak.

Has anyone seen an actual fix besides tighten the two inside screws and then the outside screws?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone seen an actual fix besides tighten the two inside screws and then the outside screws?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are posts/pics showing the gasket/seal being replaced by something from amazon

I added that seal to my last amazon order - will slap it on if that ever becomes a leak

2020 1500 Canadian Sport 4x4 Delmonico Red

Users who are viewing this thread