5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REAR WINDOW LEAK

ThatAirRideThough

Reaction score
I’ve heard that replacing the sliding glass with a solid window fixed the leak on a few occasions but then others have said the solid glass leaks too. Anyone have any insight into the solid glass being leak-free?

SShadow1974

Reaction score
So, in my first two trucks I had the leaking 3rd brake light. Never an issue with the back glass. The way I fixed both of those lights was a package of Dollarstore weather stripping that I added to the light. Never leaked again.
With that being said, I now have a new 2023... Should I just go ahead, pull the light and do my DIY fix? Or should I just leave well enough alone and hope I don't experience it (has anyone NOT had a leaking 3rd brake light?) or if I do, let the dealership handle it?
I only purchased an extended warranty on the powertrain, so would this leaking window be covered under the normal warranty?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve heard that replacing the sliding glass with a solid window fixed the leak on a few occasions but then others have said the solid glass leaks too. Anyone have any insight into the solid glass being leak-free?
The biggest issue with the sliding rear window is that the frame cracks. Some have reported leaks in the sealant but the majority have been caused by cracked frames. The solid rear window has no frame, so that issue will be eliminated. But you could still have an issue with the sealant if it's not installed correctly, even with the solid window.

So, in my first two trucks I had the leaking 3rd brake light. Never an issue with the back glass. The way I fixed both of those lights was a package of Dollarstore weather stripping that I added to the light. Never leaked again.
With that being said, I now have a new 2023... Should I just go ahead, pull the light and do my DIY fix? Or should I just leave well enough alone and hope I don't experience it (has anyone NOT had a leaking 3rd brake light?) or if I do, let the dealership handle it?
I only purchased an extended warranty on the powertrain, so would this leaking window be covered under the normal warranty?
Factory warranty will cover this but not the extended power train warranty.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They changed the gasket used on the 3rd brake lights, so your 2023 shouldnt have an issue. But it will only be covered under the factory 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I sort of disagree with mikeru82 on the issue being the cracked frame. That was definitely an issue on the earlier models, but the newer models have a newer style frame that doesn't appear to be cracking. But, the windows still leak. Many have had the windows replaced due to the crack and got the new style, just to have the water leaking a year later. The issue appears to be with the adhesive being used. My back glass was leaking, but never had a frame crack. I fixed it by using flowable caulk to seal the window from the outside. The flowable caulk flows into the upper window channel and disappears between the glass and the body sealing up any and all pinholes in the factory adhesive. I've been leak free for awhile now and I didn't have to deal with the dealership.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I sort of disagree with mikeru82 on the issue being the cracked frame. That was definitely an issue on the earlier models, but the newer models have a newer style frame that doesn't appear to be cracking. But, the windows still leak. Many have had the windows replaced due to the crack and got the new style, just to have the water leaking a year later. The issue appears to be with the adhesive being used. My back glass was leaking, but never had a frame crack. I fixed it by using flowable caulk to seal the window from the outside. The flowable caulk flows into the upper window channel and disappears between the glass and the body sealing up any and all pinholes in the factory adhesive. I've been leak free for awhile now and I didn't have to deal with the dealership.
No worries, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I also mentioned that there were some who had leaking windows that weren't caused by cracks. But if you take a look all the threads about the rear window leaking, the majority of them were caused by cracked frames. Your window leaked without any cracks, so there was an issue with how the adhesive was applied. I can't agree with you about the cause being the adhesive they're using. Are you claiming it is breaking down? It's more of an installation issue than the type of adhesive used. In pictures I've seen of the leaks not caused by cracks, you can see areas where there was insufficient adhesive in some areas when it was applied, causing gaps where water can get in. Flow able adhesive should fix this issue, as it seems to have for you. But if the window is installed correctly the adhesive will seal the window. If anyone has pictures that show the adhesive itself has failed and wasn't caused by improper application, I'd be interested in seeing them. TSB: 23-098-23/warranty extension is primarily for the cracked frames, but also cover issues like yours where the window leaks but the frame isn't cracked.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just delete the window and have some sheet metal welded in its place. No more problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 2021 on up models have the new window frame design and they are still experiencing the leaks, like I did. Many people have had their windows replaced with the new design and they experience the window leaking again after a year or so. Why? I don't know. Most window replacements aren't handled by the dealer, but by a certified glass installer, so I don't know why the big 3 are having window leak problems, but they are. Did the adhesive change from years ago? I don't know. Is it something with the flex of the body causing the adhesive to separate? I don't know. I just know that the new windows are still leaking, so the flowable caulk works. Is it permanent? Again, I don't know, but it's still working fine for me.

bcso0416

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone who had input, especially HSKR R/T. As it turned out the 3rd brake light was not leaking according to the dealership, but the rear window was. I asked if the seal could be replaced, or a sealant be used to reseal it and was told that the seal and window were one piece and the entire window with seal had to be replaced. The dealership had the window in stock, and it was sent along with the truck to a Safelite shop nearby for the removal and installation of the new window. No damage occurred like other posts had mentioned and all went smooth and orderly at the dealership with all being covered under warranty, which was really appreciated. Only time will tell how long this one will last. Again thanks!

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had great results with Captain Tolleys, extremely flowable and nothing like the nightmare known as silicone. It's water based so clean up is a breeze.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had great results with Captain Tolleys, extremely flowable and nothing like the nightmare known as silicone. It's water based so clean up is a breeze.

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure...I'd buy it just for the name :ROFLMAO:

irishwake63

Reaction score
from Ram Cares for 22 and newer Rams:

19 minutes agoNew
Yes, we understand your vehicle is a 2022 Ram 1500. With that being said, since this extended warranty only covers Ram 1500's within 2019-2021, any repairs of this component for your vehicle would not be covered. Furthermore, we continue our recommendation regarding receiving a diagnosis for your concerns from your local dealership.

Dakota
Ram Cares

nice huh I guess this is my last Ram

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
from Ram Cares for 22 and newer Rams:

19 minutes agoNew
Yes, we understand your vehicle is a 2022 Ram 1500. With that being said, since this extended warranty only covers Ram 1500's within 2019-2021, any repairs of this component for your vehicle would not be covered. Furthermore, we continue our recommendation regarding receiving a diagnosis for your concerns from your local dealership.

Dakota
Ram Cares

nice huh I guess this is my last Ram
If it is going to leak it should let go within the 3 year 36k mile warranty.

Mike7311

Reaction score
I got mine replaced under the new warranty extension and it looks good. The back window looks different than the old one. They did use an outside before vendor to install it. We did have to wait about a month for the third brake light to arrive.

irishwake63

Reaction score
If it is going to leak it should let go within the 3 year 36k mile warranty.
thats not correct which is why they extended the warranty up to 21 and didnt fix the issue many people on this forum are beyond the 3/36 and just started leaking after

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the third brake light letter but not one about the window. If possible could you tell me where I might find a copy of that so if there is a problem at the dealership, I can show them. Thank you very much for your advise and time.
I got a letter about an extra 3 years on the window warranty but never got one about the brake light. If you call Mopar or Ram Cares I'm sure they will confirm the extended warranty for you or the dealer.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thats not correct which is why they extended the warranty up to 21 and didnt fix the issue many people on this forum are beyond the 3/36 and just started leaking after
Mine started leaking at about the 4 years into ownership.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went ahead with preventative measures myself to avoid dealing with a leak. I used the marine weatherstripping mentioned on this forum. Sealed perfectly.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too never had cracks but experienced leaking on both sides. I used Permatex windshield flowable and it worked great.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My comment was from personal experience. YMMW.
The original frame failed at 15 months/21 000 miles, replacement failed at 60 months/61 822 miles, at which time I rtv`d it.

Users who are viewing this thread