5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REAR WINDOW LEAK

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just received the letter from Stellantis about extending the warranty coverage an additional three years for the well known rear window leak issue. About a year ago mine started to leak a bit on each side of the window. My truck was out of the warranty period so I repaired it myself by using a few tubes of Permatex windshield silicone. It's been working fine so far with no issues even during torrential rain.

I am hesitant to have the repair done under the extended warranty as I have heard many people had the same issues pop up with the replacement window. I also hate the thought of the dealership removing my headliner...and causing damage to my vehicle. I can't decide if it's best to just leave well enough alone at this point.

Any thoughts or input on having the repair done are greatly appreciated.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I don't trust the dealership to NOT damage my truck.

My Westin step bars have a satin finish on the areas that don't have the step, and they've gotten scratched up by the dealer by sliding a sand covered boot over the finished area. That same sand covered boot scratched the top of the rear bumper pad when they climbed in the bed to supposedly fix my leak by replacing the 3rd brake light. Lastly, they scratched up the driver's side sill plate by dragging that sandy boot across that rather than cleaning their feet before climbing in!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, most likely the dealer won't be the one doing the repair. Most sub out any glass work to actually glass shops. Usually Safelite from my experience.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did the permatex on my replacement window, also received the extended warranty letters.
I am good, not interested in having to seal a second replacement when it lets go.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it’s not leaking now I would worry about it, you have time now that they extended the warranty. Now when the time comes and it starts leaking I would go ahead and let them replace it and be happy they finally decided to start taking accountability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it’s not leaking now I would worry about it, you have time now that they extended the warranty. Now when the time comes and it starts leaking I would go ahead and let them replace it and be happy they finally decided to start taking accountability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I tend to agree with leaving well enough alone. I have three more years to monitor.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the permatex on my replacement window, also received the extended warranty letters.
I am good, not interested in having to seal a second replacement when it lets go.
I've seen posts where people had it replaced and it started leaking again so that's why I'm thinking I'll leave well enough alone.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, most likely the dealer won't be the one doing the repair. Most sub out any glass work to actually glass shops. Usually Safelite from my experience.
Maybe I'm wrong but i think the dealer would do the replacement from what I've seen in some posts. I believe the headliner needs to be removed as well which is why I am hesitant to get anything done. I foresee lots of potential for damage.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I don't trust the dealership to NOT damage my truck.

My Westin step bars have a satin finish on the areas that don't have the step, and they've gotten scratched up by the dealer by sliding a sand covered boot over the finished area. That same sand covered boot scratched the top of the rear bumper pad when they climbed in the bed to supposedly fix my leak by replacing the 3rd brake light. Lastly, they scratched up the driver's side sill plate by dragging that sandy boot across that rather than cleaning their feet before climbing in!
I hear ya. Almost every time I've had something done at the dealer there is some type of damage when I get it back.

WorthFlorida

Reaction score
The past two weeks my Laramie was at the dealer. One night we. Had a hard rain. The next morning the. Key fob would not work and the truck would not start. The rear widow was leaking and water travels down right on the digital access sensor. Under warranty the sensor as replaced and replaced the battery as a test showed it was bad?

However, the glass has only a 12 month/12,000 miles? I was told that. Stellantis stop paying. No where I could not find glass coverage. I alsl have a AWS warrant. No luck there. It's a mechanical failure not a glass issue. The service advisor agreed but his hands are tied.

It's about a $2400 replace. The service advisor is trying to reach the RAM rep for an OK. The service advisor called back and this what was offered, A goodwill gesture, $430 to replace the rear widow with four free oil changes. My problem is it a 2021 lease that expire next Sept. I'm seriously considering buying it. I'm retired and only do 6,000 a year. The truck has 15k on it, but I'm under chemo therapy.
Would a nice bead of silicone work? It's not the stop light.
the four oil changes is a good deal since full synthetic runs about $100. It also extends the warranty rear glass for 2 years.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The past two weeks my Laramie was at the dealer. One night we. Had a hard rain. The next morning the. Key fob would not work and the truck would not start. The rear widow was leaking and water travels down right on the digital access sensor. Under warranty the sensor as replaced and replaced the battery as a test showed it was bad?

However, the glass has only a 12 month/12,000 miles? I was told that. Stellantis stop paying. No where I could not find glass coverage. I alsl have a AWS warrant. No luck there. It's a mechanical failure not a glass issue. The service advisor agreed but his hands are tied.

It's about a $2400 replace. The service advisor is trying to reach the RAM rep for an OK. The service advisor called back and this what was offered, A goodwill gesture, $430 to replace the rear widow with four free oil changes. My problem is it a 2021 lease that expire next Sept. I'm seriously considering buying it. I'm retired and only do 6,000 a year. The truck has 15k on it, but I'm under chemo therapy.
Would a nice bead of silicone work? It's not the stop light.
the four oil changes is a good deal since full synthetic runs about $100. It also extends the warranty rear glass for 2 years.
Sounds like someone at the dealer isnt coding the repair properly. If the rear window leak caused the electrical issues that were covered under warranty, then part of the warranty repair should have been to correct the issue that caused the water intrusion

robert2446

Reaction score
Sounds like someone at the dealer isnt coding the repair properly. If the rear window leak caused the electrical issues that were covered under warranty, then part of the warranty repair should have been to correct the issue that caused the water intrusion
My 2021 Ram Laramie wouldn't start. RF was corroded due to "leaking in rear window". Dealership said it is a known problem. It only has 12k miles. All covered, new back window, RF, etc. Would have cost $3k if no warranty. I noticed the headliner near top of rear of cab has water staining. Now wondering if it was the third brake light. The water mark seems too high for the damage to have come from the rear window. Now I'm trying to figure out ways to seal the third brake light from leaks. Very frustrating as I don't think this is over...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2021 Ram Laramie wouldn't start. RF was corroded due to "leaking in rear window". Dealership said it is a known problem. It only has 12k miles. All covered, new back window, RF, etc. Would have cost $3k if no warranty. I noticed the headliner near top of rear of cab has water staining. Now wondering if it was the third brake light. The water mark seems too high for the damage to have come from the rear window. Now I'm trying to figure out ways to seal the third brake light from leaks. Very frustrating as I don't think this is over...
There is an "updated" third brake light with a better seal. Or, many have removed the factory third brake light and replaced the seal themselves with a marine grade rubber seal

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong but i think the dealer would do the replacement from what I've seen in some posts. I believe the headliner needs to be removed as well which is why I am hesitant to get anything done. I foresee lots of potential for damage.
Ours was sourced out to the local glass shop. Dealership didn't have the means to replace it themselves. My local dealership sources lots of things out to local shops...tire and wheel related stuff goes to a local tire store. Anything requiring body work or paint goes to the local body shop. Glass related items go to the local automotive glass shop. Just depends on how much of that your local dealership is willing and capable of doing.

Reactions: MJP

bcso0416

Reaction score
we also had a really bad storm and hard rain. The back seats were wet on each side with the middle being dry. After checking the top outside light, it was found to be dry. The driver's side rear seat was far more wet than the passenger and the driver's side is where the e-torque battery is along with whatever else. Last night I placed towels on each side against the rear glass and this morning after an overnight shower both rolls were wet. So, the seal in the back window is leaking on each side not over the part that opens. My question is would this be a warranty issue, or should I just find a shop some where to seal it? It's a 2020 with 24,000 miles and is out of the 3-year 36,000-mile warranty.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
we also had a really bad storm and hard rain. The back seats were wet on each side with the middle being dry. After checking the top outside light, it was found to be dry. The driver's side rear seat was far more wet than the passenger and the driver's side is where the e-torque battery is along with whatever else. Last night I placed towels on each side against the rear glass and this morning after an overnight shower both rolls were wet. So, the seal in the back window is leaking on each side not over the part that opens. My question is would this be a warranty issue, or should I just find a shop some where to seal it? It's a 2020 with 24,000 miles and is out of the 3-year 36,000-mile warranty.
It's covered under the extended warranty for back glass

bcso0416

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that extended warranty coverage. I know about the light leaking and coverage, just did not think the back glass window was included. I will give the dealership a try in the morning and hope for the best.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that extended warranty coverage. I know about the light leaking and coverage, just did not think the back glass window was included. I will give the dealership a try in the morning and hope for the best.
It is included. There are two separate TSBs that extend the warranty. One for the third brake light and one for the window

bcso0416

Reaction score
I got the third brake light letter but not one about the window. If possible could you tell me where I might find a copy of that so if there is a problem at the dealership, I can show them. Thank you very much for your advise and time.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread