5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

JRD

Reaction score
Quick update. I got my truck back today, and the rear glass has been fully replaced (again). Funny enough, there was someone else there with a 2020 RAM that also had the rear glass leaking. He said as soon as he saw the TSB in snail mail, he brought his truck in.

I'm really hoping this is the last time this issue pops up. 3rd brake light, and rear glass replaced per the two TSB's.
I'm sorry if you've mentioned this already on an earlier post, but i just read 10 pages of this thread and theres so much info its nauseating. Was this covered by the TSB? I saw a number of posts stating even though one was issued, people were still paying upwards of $2k.

I have a 2019 with 16k miles and recently started parking my truck outside while doing some home renovations and noticed two cracks, one on each side of the sliding window. I saw some people DIY theirs for the 3rd brake light but if the frame is cracked does that mean it requires a full replacement as mentioned in the TSB? Kind of sucks i just paid the truck off just to get stuck with a $2k repair bill.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if you've mentioned this already on an earlier post, but i just read 10 pages of this thread and theres so much info its nauseating. Was this covered by the TSB? I saw a number of posts stating even though one was issued, people were still paying upwards of $2k.

I have a 2019 with 16k miles and recently started parking my truck outside while doing some home renovations and noticed two cracks, one on each side of the sliding window. I saw some people DIY theirs for the 3rd brake light but if the frame is cracked does that mean it requires a full replacement as mentioned in the TSB? Kind of sucks i just paid the truck off just to get stuck with a $2k repair bill.
Being a 2019 and having window surround cracks, yours should be covered by the backlite warranty extension. But you'll need to contact a dealership and have them make the claim and arrange the repair.

JRD

Reaction score
Being a 2019 and having window surround cracks, yours should be covered by the backlite warranty extension. But you'll need to contact a dealership and have them make the claim and arrange the repair.
Thanks Mike, I’m going to call them in the morning. Hopefully they won’t give me a hard time.

PressTheButton

Reaction score
So i did the permatex flowable thing Sunday, for some reason it wasn't as "flowable" as i'd seen in videos. Perhaps I got a bad batch? Did the best I could. Rain/snow started today and the leak has slowed but isn't gone, and i noticed another spot. I discovered that my truck is subject to the extended warranty for backlite and 3rd brake light so I'm thinking of getting it replaced (even though its probably been done before), at least to get a fresh starting point. Haven't had many good dealer experiences in my life, anyone happen to work with a good one in my area? brockton, whitman MA area

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So i did the permatex flowable thing Sunday, for some reason it wasn't as "flowable" as i'd seen in videos. Perhaps I got a bad batch? Did the best I could. Rain/snow started today and the leak has slowed but isn't gone, and i noticed another spot. I discovered that my truck is subject to the extended warranty for backlite and 3rd brake light so I'm thinking of getting it replaced (even though its probably been done before), at least to get a fresh starting point. Haven't had many good dealer experiences in my life, anyone happen to work with a good one in my area? brockton, whitman MA area
It probably will stop it if it dried properly.

It’s possible that the frame crack may come from water in the channel freezing, then expanding, in cold climates.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you find a good Ram dealership in MA let me know.
I tried Harr, Herb Chambers, Colonial, and Planet.
The parts department at Colonial was nice but service at all of them sucked for various reasons.

PressTheButton

Reaction score
I'm giving Ram 24 in Brockton a shot, i'll try to post back and let you know. Tomorrow their gonna look at it and I'm guessing there'll be a wait for parts. Truck is out there in a snow storm right now and its killing me thinking about the leak continuing...I did stuff a few cloths by the leak so hopefully I can scrape by until its resolved. Still shocking for a truck that was 72k new, or any modern vehicle for that matter. I expect water issues in the house, but not in my vehicle. @RamCares I hope you have my back on this one, haven't heard from you yet on my DM.

raygun9

Reaction score
Hopefully its not part of the Central group out of Norwood. That place is terrible... I got my 2020 last year, one week after purchase I noticed the leak. It took 6 visits to get them to figure out where it was leaking and each time the vehicle was there for multiple days at a time. The last time it was there for a full week, and they gave me a courtesy rental covered by them, however they never ended up paying the bill so I got a collections call about a ~$500 enterprise charge that was never paid.

shawnk_8

Reaction score
Earlier this month confirmed that there is a leak in my cab, water puddled under front rubber floor mat, drivers side. Finally traced it to back of cab, water was flowing under sill on side of interior and pooling under that front mat. No cracks found in window frame. Replaced seal on third brake light hoping it was that easy, however in taking it apart found nothing to indicate there was a leak there. And there are no stains on headliner. After rain found another puddle. Ran hose over top of cab so that water ran down back of cab. Found water seeping in at back window, bottom corner of driver's side. Called dealer, scheduled service for when their window guy would be on site. Brought it in, gave them all of this information and put sticker on back window with arrow pointing to where window leak was located. When picked up truck they told me they replaced the third brake light and I'm good to go. WTF??? They didn't pay any attention to what I had told them, just took the easiest way out. That night it rained, and of course the towel I put up against that spot at base of window was soaked. I called manager and ripped them a new one. They're now kissing my *** and scheduled another visit. After reading other posts I was half expecting them to be ****wads but had hoped to be wrong. Now shopping for a different vehicle, I don't want to go thru this continuously trying to get it fixed permanently.

Kaldir1934

Reaction score

My 2019 was fully covered and I paid zero out of pocket for the replacement 3rd brake light and the replacement rear window.

And a few days after I left the dealership, I checked my bed to put some items in and my entire old back glass was in there. I guess I caught it early enough that the glass didn't crack at all yet, and it was just the seal that was bad. So now I have 2nd full back glass with zero cracks just sitting in my bed.

Kaldir1934

Reaction score
Earlier this month confirmed that there is a leak in my cab, water puddled under front rubber floor mat, drivers side. Finally traced it to back of cab, water was flowing under sill on side of interior and pooling under that front mat. No cracks found in window frame. Replaced seal on third brake light hoping it was that easy, however in taking it apart found nothing to indicate there was a leak there. And there are no stains on headliner. After rain found another puddle. Ran hose over top of cab so that water ran down back of cab. Found water seeping in at back window, bottom corner of driver's side. Called dealer, scheduled service for when their window guy would be on site. Brought it in, gave them all of this information and put sticker on back window with arrow pointing to where window leak was located. When picked up truck they told me they replaced the third brake light and I'm good to go. WTF??? They didn't pay any attention to what I had told them, just took the easiest way out. That night it rained, and of course the towel I put up against that spot at base of window was soaked. I called manager and ripped them a new one. They're now kissing my *** and scheduled another visit. After reading other posts I was half expecting them to be ****wads but had hoped to be wrong. Now shopping for a different vehicle, I don't want to go thru this continuously trying to get it fixed permanently.

Yeah the same thing happened to me. I knew for a fact that it was the back glass, but they went ahead and replaced the 3rd brake light first, and called it "Good".

raygun9

Reaction score
Might be worth running through a car wash after you pick up the "fixed" truck thats close to the dealer so you can go back the same day. Thats what I did on the 6th visit for my rear window leak.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

JRD

Reaction score
My 2019 was fully covered and I paid zero out of pocket for the replacement 3rd brake light and the replacement rear window.

And a few days after I left the dealership, I checked my bed to put some items in and my entire old back glass was in there. I guess I caught it early enough that the glass didn't crack at all yet, and it was just the seal that was bad. So now I have 2nd full back glass with zero cracks just sitting in my bed.
I brought it to the dealership yesterday, after I was told by my local dealer I needed to have it inspected. Once I arrived I have to schedule the inspection (6 weeks out, I called another dealership and got one 2 weeks out)

Once it’s inspected, they will tell me if it’s covered or not. The fact that the crack was in the exact spot as the TSB & there was water coming from said crack along with a wet headliner did not matter.

Will update once the inspection has been completed.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Just to be clear, it's not the glass that cracks. It's the black plastic that surrounds the glass which cracks.

Kaldir1934

Reaction score
Just to be clear, it's not the glass that cracks. It's the black plastic that surrounds the glass which cracks.

Yeah I have personally seen the cracked plastic, but I've also seen pictures of members that have had the glass also cracked in the same spot above the plastic crack. You just couldn't see it until the entire window was removed. I'm not sure if my first window was like that, but it def had the cracked plastic. The 2nd window that I had replaced last month, had zero cracks in the glass or the plastic, which is now sitting in the bed of my truck.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah I have personally seen the cracked plastic, but I've also seen pictures of members that have had the glass also cracked in the same spot above the plastic crack. You just couldn't see it until the entire window was removed. I'm not sure if my first window was like that, but it def had the cracked plastic. The 2nd window that I had replaced last month, had zero cracks in the glass or the plastic, which is now sitting in the bed of my truck.
It's funny but in the more than four years I've been on this forum I don't remember seeing anyone with cracked rear window glass. Not disputing your claim about having seen pictures of that but it's definitely not a common occurrence. Given the most common location for the cracks to occur, I'm not sure how the glass would even be affected by that enough to crack. Regardless, it's always nice to have spare parts laying around. (y)

Attachments

• Rear window crack 3.jpg
    Rear window crack 3.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Rear window crack 1.jpg
    Rear window crack 1.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 40

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
How can that kind of glass crack?????

Kaldir1934

Reaction score
It's funny but in the more than four years I've been on this forum I don't remember seeing anyone with cracked rear window glass. Not disputing your claim about having seen pictures of that but it's definitely not a common occurrence. Given the most common location for the cracks to occur, I'm not sure how the glass would even be affected by that enough to crack. Regardless, it's always nice to have spare parts laying around. (y)

Honestly it's also entirely possible that's the picture I saw and thought it was the plastic and the glass cracking haha

BlackRebelUT

Reaction score
Add me to the list dealing with a leaking back window. 21 Ram Rebel, 9K miles; I have been dealing with this problem for almost 6 weeks now. The first dealership told me they fixed it by swapping the 3rd brake light; it leaked again from the window a few days later. Thanks to everyone's comments and the litany of ideas to correct the issue, I got in contact with RAM Cares and have my truck at a different dealership. They've swapped the rear window, and they are replacing the headliner at my insistence since I had water make it all the way to the front of the cab and come out of the mics and A-pillars. Once I get my truck back, I plan to reinforce the fix by sealing the 3rd brake light and window myself.

JRD

Reaction score
@RamCares I just had my inspection, to which the dealership ordered the parts and said I had the exact same issue as everyone else. Upon checkout he verified my vin and said the warranty was not allocated to my vin. I responded with I spoke to RamCare two weeks ago and they said it would be covered once I got an inspection and said I’d call RamCare back.

Immediately after (about 20 min ago) I called RamCare back and got a rude customer service representative. She informed me that there was nothing she could do, there was no supervisor, and she could not transfer me to the Extended Warranty Dept to discuss adding my vin to the list. This has left me really dissatisfied with the level of care Ram shows to their loyal customers who spend this kind of money on their vehicles and are repeat customers. Kind of crazy that VINs are arbitrarily being chosen to decide which vehicles are lucky enough to be fixed free of charge and those of us are being stuck with a $1400 bill like I was quoted this morning. For reference, the vehicle has 16,700 miles.

As of right now, I am supposed to get a call from a supervisor, even though they have no idea when their supervisor is in because it’s not their job and there is no posted schedule. Now I understand why everyone wants to trade in their truck after dealing with Ram.

Users who are viewing this thread