5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Third water leak in three years. The back glass has been replaced twice and brake light replaced once. Haven’t figured where new leak is coming from maybe the fin?!? Or glass failed again.

Freaking ridiculous waste of time and materials because Ram went cheap in the supplier, materials, engineering or maybe all three.

Also AC is worst in any car I’ve ever owned.

I love the truck overall but damn with these unresolved issues and price increases it’s hard to recommend Ram to others. View attachment 165124
The supplier is the same supplier GM uses. The price increases are actually less than inflation. My 2020 the A/C worked great.

Rando

Reaction score
The supplier is the same supplier GM uses. The price increases are actually less than inflation. My 2020 the A/C worked great.
Guess you got lucky on AC cuz mine is absolutely trash. So much so that passengers in my car mention it. At which point I pretend to turn the knob because it’s already set to max ac.

GM ain’t exactly known for high quality suppliers.

And the price increase is more than inflation which is already stupid high.
My truck adjusted for inflation would be $60,200 today. Just built the closest truck on ram build and price and it’s $61,800. Not to mention higher interest rates and fewer incentives.

irishwake63

Reaction score
Guess you got lucky on AC cuz mine is absolutely trash. So much so that passengers in my car mention it. At which point I pretend to turn the knob because it’s already set to max ac.

My truck adjusted for inflation would be $60,200 today. Just built the closest truck on ram build and price and it’s $61,800. Not to mention higher interest rates and fewer incentives.
Actual inflation and what the Admin says it is is two different things

6of36

Reaction score

Actual inflation since 2020 is 25%. Building my exact 2020 truck, the increase is 19%. And there are more government mandated safety systems now. Yes the interest rates have skyrocketed too, but that's a separate issue.

Rando

Reaction score
Actual inflation since 2020 is 25%. Building my exact 2020 truck, the increase is 19%. And there are more government mandated safety systems now. Yes the interest rates have skyrocketed too, but that's a separate issue.
Hahaha bro. Not sure why you’re hell bent on defending ram.

My “exact” truck is more. Glad yours is cheaper. My build isn’t. Does your truck cool beyond 58 degrees? Has your backseat been soaked multiple times? Did the dealer strip a seat belt bolt when replacing your window for the second time and try to hide it? Did your cab paint get scratched by the window installer?

Did you have to have your rack and pinion replaced?

Did they have to add support brackets to your rear brakes to prevent the brakes from squealing like a banshee?

Did your infotainment screen crap out and require a dealer software update?

Not sure what government mandates are reflected in 2023 trucks versus 2020. But hopefully one of them is related to water intrusion.

And interest rates aren’t separate as they are directly related to car affordability and payments. So IMO it’s hard to recommend a ram to a friend knowing they will likely pay significantly more than I did and in MY experience Ram quality leaves a lot to be desired.

6of36

Reaction score

My “exact” truck is more. Glad yours is cheaper. My build isn’t. Does your truck cool beyond 58 degrees? Has your backseat been soaked multiple times? Did the dealer strip a seat belt bolt when replacing your window for the second time and try to hide it? Did your cab paint get scratched by the window installer?

Did they have to add support brackets to your rear brakes to prevent the brakes from squealing like a banshee?

Not sure what government mandates are reflected in 2023 trucks versus 2020. But hopefully one of them is related to water intrusion.

And interest rates aren’t separate as they are directly related to car affordability and payments. So IMO it’s hard to recommend a ram to a friend knowing they will likely pay significantly more than I did and in MY experience Ram quality leaves a lot to be desired.
They are going to pay the same interest no matter what they buy, unless there is special financing. Yours is more than 25% higher? I'm just saying everything is more money than 3 years ago, but Ram's price has gone up less than inflation. I'm not happy trucks are more, but I'm not happy food is more. Nothing we can do about inflation. I'm still buying a truck.

GMetal

Reaction score

Ford and GM have their issues as well. I dont think anything cools beyond 58 degrees with R134a. My BMW only drops to 60. My truck is a dark color and has premium tint and Im in Texas and the AC works well enough for me yet some here cant get theirs to work right. As far as dealerships, they are all terrible. Few people want to work on cars anymore. Its tough finding anyone in anything that cares about craftsmanship. Its frustrating to spend $65k-$100K on a truck with these dumb issues for sure. I think its across the board. Every make is scrimping on quality.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Few people want to work on cars anymore. Its tough finding anyone in anything that cares about craftsmanship.
I don't believe that.
Problem is dealerships want to pay minimum wage for educated people to work.
Plumbers make way more money then working at a car dealership.

6of36

Reaction score

6of36

Reaction score
True story. And inflation isn’t at 5% it’s like 25%. I don’t know how they sleep at night
The latest inflation number is under 5%. They just don't want you to remember it's on top of the other 20% that they caused. Now this is the last comment I will make on that, because this is the wrong thread. Let's get back to rear windows.

ajc7755

Reaction score
In regards to the main topic, took my used (new to me) 2020 Ram through the car wash and low and behold the rear window leaks. Looking at it up close, there are 2 cracks on both sides of the sliding window plastic frame.

Add this to the broken exhaust manifold gasket, truck not being aligned I'm not sure how this truck even passed the typical state inspection. Upon requesting the inspection form from the selling dealer they showed me a clean form and they caught nothing. Which is crazy because when we first looked at it, there were bald tires we also made them replace. Feel like I'm totally got screwed over here and it makes me feel sick.

At least I purchased an extended warranty, but I shouldn't have to be paying for issues 14 days after I took it. The dealer is trying to hide behind an "As Is" document. My state, doesn't require a full inspection, but I'm tempting to take it to a neighboring state to have it inspected and see if it fails. My fear is what happens if it fails, will they keep the vehicle?

6of36

Reaction score
In regards to the main topic, took my used (new to me) 2020 Ram through the car wash and low and behold the rear window leaks. Looking at it up close, there are 2 cracks on both sides of the sliding window plastic frame.

Add this to the broken exhaust manifold gasket, truck not being aligned I'm not sure how this truck even passed the typical state inspection. Upon requesting the inspection form from the selling dealer they showed me a clean form and they caught nothing. Which is crazy because when we first looked at it, there were bald tires we also made them replace. Feel like I'm totally got screwed over here and it makes me feel sick.

At least I purchased an extended warranty, but I shouldn't have to be paying for issues 14 days after I took it. The dealer is trying to hide behind an "As Is" document. My state, doesn't require a full inspection, but I'm tempting to take it to a neighboring state to have it inspected and see if it fails. My fear is what happens if it fails, will they keep the vehicle?
We don't have state inspections, but 2 of my daughters lived in Pennsylvania for a few years. I know the dealers there ran scams on their inspections. They bought vehicles from used dealers there that wouldn't pass honest inspections. They said bring it back there every year.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Each sate is differnet, but a leaking window would pass inspection in MA, and they are a pain here.
Broken exhaust manifold would likely just sound louder, and not tip off the inspection shop unless they could clearly see a problem, i'm sure my Borla is lounder than your exhaust and it's not broken.

Lots of states don't allow vehicles to be sold as-in and those contracts are void, but even so if it's used and it passes inspection there isn't much you can do about it even if you got an attorney, these are not major problems (for us they are)

We don't have state inspections, but 2 of my daughters lived in Pennsylvania for a few years. I know the dealers there ran scams on their inspections. They bought vehicles from used dealers there that wouldn't pass honest inspections. They said bring it back there every year.
The goverment came down in my state a few years ago. Now they are required to record the inspection.
I had to mount cameras connected to a router provided by the state at my local bus maintenance facility (they do their own state inspections).
They do check the recordings and really came down on places letting people pass.

Users who are viewing this thread