5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

ALT_F13

Reaction score
M-D Building Products 1033 M-D 0 All Profile Weather-Strip Tape, 10 Ft L X 19/32 in W 5/16 in T, Epdm Rubber, Black https://a.co/d/9UchzrY

Scrape and clean off the old seal. Should be a perfect flat spot that this seal fits well on. Just put the cut where the new seal meets at the bottom of the light. I put some silicone on the line where the two ends meet.
Thank you so much! I've replaced the stock gasket with this one (got it in local Home Depot) and leak is gone! Just to be safe I've also used two tubes of permatex on the glass.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I've replaced the stock gasket with this one (got it in local Home Depot) and leak is gone! Just to be safe I've also used two tubes of permatex on the glass.
Glad to hear it! Now I’ve got the front windshield to deal with. Happened this morning. Rock came flying at me from an oncoming semi in a curve smh. Can’t make it up if I tried. Wish I was lol

Attachments

• CAC6A172-301E-4AF9-B50C-4994A8FD34EF.jpeg
    CAC6A172-301E-4AF9-B50C-4994A8FD34EF.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 60

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to hear it! Now I’ve got the front windshield to deal with. Happened this morning. Rock came flying at me from an oncoming semi in a curve smh. Can’t make it up if I tried. Wish I was lol
Only one.
I have been nailed seven times by rocks.
First hit looked like the one in your picture, drilled and sealed, still holding to date.
Second and third, dings.
Fourth, cracked bottom to top, drivers side. Cops have not pinged me on that one yet.
Fifth, small crater, rest are dings.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Only one.
First hit looked like the one in your picture, drilled and sealed, still holding to date.
Second and third, dings.
Fourth, cracked bottom to top, drivers side. Cops have not pinged me on that one yet.
Does the windshield create a problem with your state inspection?

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Only one.
Second and third, dings.
I’ve had good luck with windshields on every other truck I’ve owned. This one that I go above and beyond to try and take care of gets all the weird juju. The stretch of highway where it happened has some road work going on too so I’m sure that contributed. And they won’t be done for awhile. It put a good hole in it in the center but fortunately didn’t penetrate inside. I think the angle of these windshields has a lot to do with it. Rock seemed to almost bounce straight up. Although this instance would have impacted any windshield I’m sure.

I have a $250 deductible on glass replacement so I’m debating just replacing it. 43K miles and this is the only major rock hit to the windshield. Had one hit the bumper once also.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
Add me to the list of leaky trucks. 2020 Bighorn Ecodiesel. Noticed some extra fogginess to the windows earlier this winter and discovered a few droplets running down the inside of the rear window. I could see the plastic had cracks on either side of the rear slider. The leak was slow, only a few drops at a time.

I did the permatex seal today, using two tubes to seal up across the top of the rear window. It was a pain to pull off my canopy in order to gain access, but otherwise a pretty easy project. I could see the cracks along the top of the window frame once I pulled the third brake light to get easier access. Here's hoping the fix seals it.

Here are some pictures after I did the two tubes of permatex.
how did this hold up? still no leaks?

Jako

Reaction score
No annual inspection in Maryland. Only when vehicle changes ownership.
Thanks for the info.
Who is responsible for the inspection, buyer/seller? Who performs the inspection?
NY is annual and procedures vary based on year of vehicle.

GrizEagle

Reaction score
how did this hold up? still no leaks?

It was 5 degrees at my house this morning so no chance of leaks. hahaha

But I noticed earlier this week with rain and wet snow that I didn't have any water coming in, no leaks. My leak was very small and slow, so I am still going to be watching for it the next few months and especially when I wash the truck. I'll post back in a few months with an update.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ugh! Kiddo noticed leak yesterday getting wet in the rain.. 2 cracks in rear window frame in 2019 Ram Rebel. @RamCares .. sent a PM.. fingers and toes crossed
Hey!

We appreciate you tagging us in this. We've received your DM and look forward to assisting you there!

Callie
Ram Cares

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
Who is responsible for the inspection, buyer/seller? Who performs the inspection?
NY is annual and procedures vary based on year of vehicle.
The inspection is done by any of the Maryland authorized inspection stations, every other service station is one...
The buyer is responsible but the seller can have it done, having a valid inspection certificate is a good selling point.
The vehicle needs to be registered with in 90 days or it will need to be re-inspected.

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
The inspection is done by any of the Maryland authorized inspection stations, every other service station is one...
The buyer is responsible but the seller can have it done, having a valid inspection certificate is a good selling point.
The vehicle needs to be registered with in 90 days or it will need to be re-inspected.
Thanks
Inspections in NY are done also by service stations, safety and emissions/codes. My 1990 is only safety and newer vehicles (1st 2 years I believe) also.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My rear was replaced over 6 weeks ago. I do the daily wash during the winter and Zero leaks at all - installed by an auto glass company on behalf of the dealer. So maybe they did it right….so far it seems they did.

armyrec1

Reaction score
Finally heard back from FCA. They will cover the cost minus a $300 deductible. The new window will come with a 2 year warranty. I also made sure to get a loaner car approved.

Wreckm

Reaction score
Window and frame were replaced last winter. Heavy rain last couple days to find a leak right above sliding window more towards passenger side the ceiling is wet. Just messaged @RamCares as i am just out of warranty 😞.
2020 Rebel

Attachments

• 432FE21A-359C-4D48-A361-1431F1F617B1.jpeg
    432FE21A-359C-4D48-A361-1431F1F617B1.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 54

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Window and frame were replaced last winter. Heavy rain last couple days to find a leak right above sliding window more towards passenger side the ceiling is wet. Just messaged @RamCares as i am just out of warranty 😞.
2020 Rebel
Try replacing the 3rd brake light seal, as I did based on SeaHog's advice. That's $10 half-hour job, won't harm.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
The only thing I kind of regret doing was putting rtv black silicone around the shark fin antenna. It does give me a little peace of mind in case it would’ve leaked in the future, but doesn’t look as clean afterwards as I thought I had it during the process. It’s not real bad, but i did want to be preventative anyway. At least there’s no water getting in.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
I went out and cleaned the shark fin back up and it didn’t take a lot to get the silicone off lol. I felt dumb removing the work I did, but it looks a lot nicer again, and if I have trouble with it I’ll deal with it another time. Sure seems like the antenna is the most rare problem.

Anyway I’ve got the window permatex all up and the brake light with the new seal that really does a lot better than the factory seal. Now for a new front windshield. Have an appointment March 7th. Called Feb 22nd. Figured I’d give an fyi on that if anyone else has to deal with it.

I hope all those with rear window leaks do a diy because I do think it’s the best route.

Croaker

Reaction score
Well, I have not had any problems with my truck (except the tailgate recall.) up until now, I have been a very happy Ram owner. Unfortunately, I just now discovered the rear floor under the back seats soaked.
I have not yet been able to tell where it is coming from?

I inspected the light gasket and it looks OK. No visible cracks in the window frame. No stains on the headliner.

Users who are viewing this thread