5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Window Leak Class Action Lawsuit Status Update

Lawman1Bravo

Reaction score
Is this actually real and going anywhere? Going on my second water leak as we speak. Last year replaced it as well as a new headliner due to the water damage.
Talked to a lawyer that’s on this case told me the judge tossed it out . That as of right now it’s dead in the water and may be thinking to refill the law suit.

Lawman1Bravo

Reaction score
Can anyone give facts to IF and WHEN the replacements or what model year this has been corrected?
Isn t there a @RAMCARE person here who can help clear up all the information ?
I am not wanting to wait till everything gets wet to decide what to do.
Maybe preventative measures soon.
They don’t give a sh?t . They want us to get a new diagnosis on our back window here in Pittsburgh that was installed in Michigan at a dealership up there . Said they will see what they can do and they don’t pay for diagnostics that are done even though we already paid to have the window replaced up north we wouldn’t have to pay for it if we took it back to them they are over 7 hours away from us . Since we have to start over we have to pay for the diagnosis with a new dealership about our back window . The back window we just paid for a few weeks ago they have to see what they can do . WTF never again am I buying a Ram said it already saying it again top of the line my azz . Nothing but issues and they don’t have your 6 .

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The class action lawsuit is still underway. It is "Effie Johnson Norman v. FCA US, LLC" (Case #2:22-cv-11393) and was originally filed on June 22, 2022 in Detroit. I posted in the Rear Window Leak thread that they had a zoom hearing today for a motion to dismiss filed by the FCA attorney. I listened to both sides and the FCA attorney is arguing that the class only has 38 people while there's hundreds of thousands of 5th Gen trucks sold, therefore, it's not a widespread problem. He argued that 'windows' are not covered because they're prone to breaking by numerous factors, and like wipers, they could be considered a frequently replaceable item. All in all, it was a frustrating but enlightening experience watching the so very slow wheels of justice turn.

I grabbed the plaintiffs attorney's name and looked him. He had an email online so I crafted an email to him telling him about the Forum and that we have many members who have experienced the leaks from the window frame, shark fin, and CHMSL. I told him that FCA also made the enlightened decison to place the etorque equipment behind the driver's seat and it was prone to shorting out due to the water leak if the leak was in the right location. I even provided some links to some of the rear window leak threads and told him that members have been getting assistance from RamCares to try and get this covered under warranty. He responded and told me he'd pass along the information to his staff. I'm not sure if anyone form his office will reach out to folks, but hopefully, they'll read through some of the hundreds of pages of window leak threads. Anyway, just thought I'd share that the lawsuit is still going on and there's a remote possibility that someone could reach out to members who have had the leaking rear window.

The attorney's contact is: Daniel R. Ferri <[email protected]>

View attachment 160835
I emailed him. Sent my contact info....everyone with this issue should do the same.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I emailed him. Sent my contact info....everyone with this issue should do the same.

Not sure what they will do with your email since a judge dismissed their case last October. Judge said the plaintiff didn't pinpoint the exact nature of the defect and did not adequately demonstrate a uniform defect across the class.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Yes there trucks are junk- my first and last Ram also. Want to get rid of this POS before I need my fourth window. Plus burning oil now 1600 miles a quart and dealer said that's OK !??

I don't care if it's covered under the ext. warranty - the DOWN TIME IS NOT !
Looking around now but can't decide what to get.

cerbo

Reaction score
Yes there trucks are junk- my first and last Ram also. Want to get rid of this POS before I need my fourth window. Plus burning oil now 1600 miles a quart and dealer said that's OK !??

I don't care if it's covered under the ext. warranty - the DOWN TIME IS NOT !
Looking around now but can't decide what to get.
Good luck, I read the same stories on every brand. I m just hoping I got a good one cause I know people with 90K miles and no issues on their Rams. ???

irishwake63

Reaction score
Good luck, I read the same stories on every brand. I m just hoping I got a good one cause I know people with 90K miles and no issues on their Rams. ???
I heard Toyota is the best bet with less issues IDK

cerbo

Reaction score
I heard Toyota is the best bet with less issues IDK
Toyota is a solid brand but they had turbo troubles on their new Tundra s for a while. I drove a new one when I was shopping but liked the Ram better, esp after their price was higher compared to Ram. We also bought a New Mazda cx90 SUV for my wife and for a solid brand the new cx90 had a lot of new model issues. Got 9K on that one and nothing big except a few TSB s so far. I had a new Mach 1 last year and the same thing on that site. Coyotte tick etc etc. If you went on that website you d think they are all falling apart but after decades on these sites I see a pattern of the complaints being far more vocal than the happy customers. It s sad that after Covid I don t think dealers are up to par to correct what should be simple. No pride in a job well done anymore. " Lazy" pays just the same I guess.

Reaction score
i got this

Owner Name 1234 Anywhere St Anytown, St XXXXX
VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Dear (Name):
This letter is to inform you that the warranty period on your vehicle’s Backlite has been extended to 8 years/ 150,000 miles. This warranty extension on the Backlite applies to select 2019 - 2021 RAM 1500 Pickup vehicles. Our records show that you either own or lease one of the vehicles affected by this warranty extension. We are extending the Backlite warranty period because some of the affected vehicles within the above referenced population may experience a water leak from the top of the backlite or a cracked backlite frame resulting in an interior water leak. If you are experiencing any of these conditions now, or if you experience them in the future, simply contact your dealer to have the appropriate repair performed. Conversely, if you do not experience this condition, then your Backlite is operating correctly, and no repair is necessary. If you have already experienced this condition and previously paid for a repair, you may be eligible to receive a reimbursement. Visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit an online reimbursement request. You may also complete the enclosed Customer Reimbursement Claim Form and send your original receipts, invoices and/or repair order to the following address for reimbursement. Your claim will be acted upon within 60 days of receipt: FCA US LLC Customer Center P.O. Box 21-8004 Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004 Attn: Reimbursement If you have questions or need any assistance, please contact your dealer or the FCA US LLC Customer Care. FCA US LLC Customer Care is available 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. They can be reached at: 1-866-726-4636 or 1-866-RAM-INFO. Please keep this letter in your glove box along with your vehicle’s other warranty information for future reference if necessary. This warranty extension applies only to the Backlite condition described above; the other terms and the “What’s Not Covered” items of your warranty remain the same as stated in your Warranty Information book. FCA US LLC is taking this action to demonstrate its commitment to your continued satisfaction. FCA US LLC

cerbo

Reaction score
without my coffee yet I m reading this only covers the backline nd does not cover damage done by water?
What was the date of this letter?

Reaction score
without my coffee yet I m reading this only covers the backline nd does not cover damage done by water?
What was the date of this letter?
September 2023
secondary damage is normally covered. gm + Nissan replace anything that got damaged from water intrusion our mileage may vairy, let's see how we get treated,

Users who are viewing this thread