5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Under-Seat Storage - Aftermarket Options

Bram2019

Reaction score
Well, I got a little industrious this afternoon and resolved my under-seat storage issue for $9....yes, nine dollars!

If you have an accessible Home Depot, a utility knife (or preferably a Dremel tool), tape measure, a few screws and 45 minutes, you can build your storage as the pictures indicate below...they are removable in 3 minutes with only 2 small screws...

Before (no under-seat storage): :(
View attachment 12435
$9 plastic storage bin from Home Depot (this one is the right width):
View attachment 12433
Mark a line 7" down from the top lip and cut all the way around with a dremmel bit or utility knife, then cut the short ends of the bin in half as shown:
View attachment 12436 View attachment 12439
Fit the two pieces in the floorboard and cut the angles to fit the under-seat bump in the middle (this allows the frame to sit flat):
View attachment 12444 View attachment 12445
Flip over and screw the 2 pieces together in the middle for stability, then place in the truck, screw a flat head screw into the plastic cover on each end of the bench seat (they are silver in the photo), then tie the center back to the D ring that is under the rear seat to keep the frame in place (I used tie straps, but plan to use a small bungie once acquired).
View attachment 12440 View attachment 12441
Finished Product: :p
View attachment 12442 View attachment 12443

This was too easy and more than serves my purposes as they will work with my WeatherTech floor mats that I'm ordering soon. :)

I hope this helps someone out there who didn't want to drop $180+ for storage.
I have to tell you this is very clever. Husky forgot about the carpet mats that almost everyone uses. No thanks. Your setup size wise is what this should be. Well done

Bram2019

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the answers for under rear seat storage was answered, but Husky Liners makes a great looking after-market, under seat storage (check out their website). I spoke to their head engineer (after getting the runaround from sales on availability dates) and he said the rear under seat storage for the 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi is not due out until the end of February or very close to that date. I love what I see and will be waiting for it's availability. PLEASE NOTE: the end of February date is for the Quad Cab (which is what I was asking about) but the underseat for the Crew Cab is due out earlier than that according to this engineer. Hope this helps.
I am looking for under seat storage for a quad cab. But the Husky covers the rug mats. Not well thought out at all. No thanks unless they re engineer it properly.

Mikemike

Reaction score
Well, I got a little industrious this afternoon and resolved my under-seat storage issue for $9....yes, nine dollars!

If you have an accessible Home Depot, a utility knife (or preferably a Dremel tool), tape measure, a few screws and 45 minutes, you can build your storage as the pictures indicate below...they are removable in 3 minutes with only 2 small screws...

View attachment 12435
View attachment 12433
Mark a line 7" down from the top lip and cut all the way around with a dremmel bit or utility knife, then cut the short ends of the bin in half as shown:
Fit the two pieces in the floorboard and cut the angles to fit the under-seat bump in the middle (this allows the frame to sit flat):
Flip over and screw the 2 pieces together in the middle for stability, then place in the truck, screw a flat head screw into the plastic cover on each end of the bench seat (they are silver in the photo), then tie the center back to the D ring that is under the rear seat to keep the frame in place (I used tie straps, but plan to use a small bungie once acquired).

This was too easy and more than serves my purposes as they will work with my WeatherTech floor mats that I'm ordering soon. :)

View attachment 12435
View attachment 12433

THANK YOU!! I copied your idea today and it worked out perfect.

Ram1984

Reaction score
Stopped by Home Depot on the way home today and will be cutting it up tomorrow,,thanks for the great idea

Bram2019

Reaction score
I’m glad that worked out for you Mike! We are doing the same for my son’s 2019 ram tomorrow. He saw mine and loved it. :)
I do have a question. You mentioned cutting down 7 inches from top lip. Is that from the top of the box so the whole box is 7 inches tall.

RodRow

Reaction score
I do have a question. You mentioned cutting down 7 inches from top lip. Is that from the top of the box so the whole box is 7 inches tall.
I measured from inside the top lip (under the finger-hold) this likely makes the full height at 7 1/8” or so. Either way would fit just fine as I left a little space between the top of the box and bottom of the seat.

Bram2019

Reaction score
I measured from inside the top lip (under the finger-hold) this likely makes the full height at 7 1/8” or so. Either way would fit just fine as I left a little space between the top of the box and bottom of the seat.
Thanks

TurdFerguson

Reaction score

View attachment 12435
View attachment 12433

Did you attach them in any way?

RodRow

Reaction score
Did you attach them in any way?
Yes, I used one short, flat-head screw to anchor each end to the plastic seat support cover on each end. I also used a large zip tie to anchor the center back to the D-Ring that exists under the center of the rear seat. Works like a charm. :)

TurdFerguson

Reaction score
Yes, I used one short, flat-head screw to anchor each end to the plastic seat support cover on each end. I also used a large zip tie to anchor the center back to the D-Ring that exists under the center of the rear seat. Works like a charm. :)
You sir. Are brilliant.

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
So I just got a call about the husky storage unit I ordered. I was told there was a delay in shipment because the original ones were to tall and the seat would not sit flat and that they just finished a run of the new shorter ones. Has anyone experienced that problem?

jamie.howlett

Reaction score
So I just got a call about the husky storage unit I ordered. I was told there was a delay in shipment because the original ones were to tall and the seat would not sit flat and that they just finished a run of the new shorter ones. Has anyone experienced that problem?

No sir. my seats sit flat as they should

NM Cajun

Reaction score

View attachment 12435
View attachment 12433
Flip over and screw the 2 pieces together in the middle for stability, then place in the truck, screw a flat head screw into the plastic cover on each end of the bench seat (the screws are silver in the photo), then tie the center back to the D ring that is under the rear seat to keep the frame in place (I used tie straps, but plan to use a small bungie once acquired).

Nice idea, RodRow! I'll have to look into it as my 2019 Hemi is A Quad Cab and I'd like the "tubs" to come out to almost flush with the seats all the way around. Great idea - and with a little sweat and tears, $170 stays in my pocket.

RodRow

Reaction score
Nice idea, RodRow! I'll have to look into it as my 2019 Hemi is A Quad Cab and I'd like the "tubs" to come out to almost flush with the seats all the way around. Great idea - and with a little sweat and tears, $170 stays in my pocket.
Thanks Cajun I ise mine constantly and they’ve been a good option for me. Very few tears (no sweat as it’s cold outside) and you’ll be in business. :)

Oh, and the cost savings is a HUGE bonus. (y)

bbandu

Reaction score

View attachment 12435
View attachment 12433
Flip over and screw the 2 pieces together in the middle for stability, then place in the truck, screw a flat head screw into the plastic cover on each end of the bench seat (the screws are silver in the photo), then tie the center back to the D ring that is under the rear seat to keep the frame in place (I used tie straps, but plan to use a small bungie once acquired).

Could you please show some close ups of how you connected it to the seat frame assembly
Thanks

Ram1984

Reaction score
Found time to get mine fine tuned. I ended up using heavy duty Velcro to secure to plastic end covers and a mini bungee instead of the zip ties

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online