5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really considering trade in for 2022

deanno33

Reaction score
A little torn right now. Wasn't planning to get a new truck but a dealer started talking with me when I was getting an oil change. They want trucks obviously and offered me 52,000 for my 2020 Laramie which has 16,000 miles on it. Sticker on mine was 59,300 when I purchased it. I paid 48,700. The Big Horn I built on paper with them had MSRP of 48,145. He discounted it to 46k even and then with 1750 in Ram rebate brings it to 44,250.

I would be giving up some Laramie features but really not much. Ugh ...love my truck but seems hard to pass up. I'd welcome any thoughts as I'm in decision mode!

Nels

Reaction score
A little torn right now. Wasn't planning to get a new truck but a dealer started talking with me when I was getting an oil change. They want trucks obviously and offered me 52,000 for my 2020 Laramie which has 16,000 miles on it. Sticker on mine was 59,300 when I purchased it. I paid 48,700. The Big Horn I built on paper with them had MSRP of 48,145. He discounted it to 46k even and then with 1750 in Ram rebate brings it to 44,250.

I would be giving up some Laramie features but really not much. Ugh ...love my truck but seems hard to pass up. I'd welcome any thoughts as I'm in decision mode!
Ventilated seats. The choice between big horn and laramie comes down to that for me. I may not think that's so important in January, but in July i certainly do.

Nels

Reaction score

Also, it seems to me that dealers should be willing to go with more "usual" discounts off msrp when you're ordering your truck rather than buying off the lot. At that point it's got nothing to do qith their ability to get inventory so want to maximize each sale. Unless - i may be ignorant of some kind of limit that each dealer can order?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are subtle creature comforts that Big Horn is missing,

You get 8-way power driver seat / manual passenger seat on BH while it’s 12-way power on both driver/passenger in Laramie.

Also the BH’s manual passenger seat doesn’t have 4-way lumbar support that the 12-way power seat does.

The arm rest is rock hard plastic on BH and cushioned on Laramie and rear reclining seats aren’t on BH

cochise111

Reaction score
You'd better see how much you will pay for a 2022. Dealers are charging far over sticker price these days because of inventory shortages.

jimothy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn’t do it. As others have mentioned, you’d be downgrading in terms of creature comforts.

It might be a good deal on your trade, but if you’re not getting a good deal on the new truck—or if it’s not the truck you want—then it’s no deal at all.

Last edited:

deanno33

Reaction score
It seems the new truck deals are no longer...at least for a while until inventory is back. I probably should have them price out a Laramie and then just be patient for them to keep taking more off the new order. I told them they can have my truck right away even though the order takes 8-10 weeks.

It does seem the 2022 are going up. I know the ram website build isn't exact pricing but building a 2021 there vs the dealer building a 2022, the was almost 2k difference. That did not include the delivery charge which was another 1600 approx.

deanno33

Reaction score

By the way, I'm an idiot. I meant the new Big Horn MSRP was 58,145, discounted to 56,000...so 54, 250 after the 1750 rebate. (3,895 off MSRP). if there are better incentives when it's delivered, you get the better ones. Also I guess there's a 1000 if you finance through Ram. If so, brings it down to 4,895 off MSRP. Still not the discounts of old, but considering the trade of 52,000, its not terrible. I'd be going from a 2020 Laramie to a 2022 Big Horn for $1250 . Just need to decide if I want to take the step back...although the Big Horn can be done up pretty well with blind spot, LEDs, Alpine, etc.

I really didn't know some of the things mentioned above though. I thought the armrest were padded in the Big Horn. I've only been in a Built to Serve Big Horn and it was padded...but it also had stitched dash, fender flairs, etc....it's a Laramie 'like' Big Horn. I knew Big Horn passenger seat was manual but also figure the drivers seat was as adjustable as Laramie....guess not. Cooled seats I don' t care about in WI. Had them in my last three truck and doubt they were ever turned on.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Since you seem very happy with your current ride, I get the sense the motivation to trade is based solely on economics.

To me the deal sounds good IF there was a truck on the dealer's lot that completely satisfied your requirements and they stuck to the deal.

Ordering a truck could insert some problems. Will the price be at delivery what was quoted at the time you ordered the truck? Could there be any delivery delays? (A friend of the family has been waiting for his truck for 14 weeks.) Lastly, could there be some regret on your part after you've driven a vehicle that had less features than the one you traded in?

Good luck whatever your decision.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053088 miles.

U

User_3336

I wonder which package they come with. BH I sat in was pure plastic
Both Big Horn Equipment Packages 1 and 2 have padded door armrests, and center
console padded arm rests.
Not sure about the Tradesman or any other trim, and certainly not the Classics.

deese

Reaction score
I contemplated the same question and went back and forth with myself about it. Do I spend an extra 7-8K to get into a Laramie or can I survive with a few less features (some which I never even use) and stick with a BH? Ventilated seats although very nice to have I just didn't utilize very often as I am also in WI. Didn't need rear heated seats either. One feature I do wish my BH came with albeit I've never had on a vehicle anyway is keyless entry. So it was one of those you don't know what your missing things. Of course my wife has to remind me how cool hers is on her Jeep. The dash is hard plastic as compared to the softer dash of a Laramie, however that doesn't bother me. I still have the heated seats up front and love the interior seating of my BTS. As far as power adjustable seating I have that on the drivers side and the other side, well that's the wife's problem. I love features more than anyone and am usually first to shell out $$ for them whether I think I will use them or not. Just this time I sat back and asked myself am I going to miss having something I never really use or take advantage of. I opted to stay with the BH and am very happy with it. Decisions, decisions.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ehhh depends if your happy with your current truck I would keep it. Going from a Laramie to a Big horn and still sticking with a 1500 I wouldn’t want to lose the few creature comforts like leather, proxy sensors, ventilated seats, etc. I may be mistaken but I remember that being one of the difference between a loaded big horn and Laramie level 1 when I was shopping around and looking to order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are other nuances in the Laramie but things I specifically gave up for my Bighorn:

- Ventilated seats
- Leather seats
- Power passenger seat
- Driver seat/mirror memory (1/2 button on the driver's door)
- Adaptive cruise control

The other stuff (360 degree camera, etc.) were not high on my priority list.

The leather/ventilated/power seats was the biggest loss for me.

That being said my options were a Laramie with a few options or an almost loaded Bighorn (Level 2) for $9K less. As much as I wanted leather interior (my last truck was a Ford F-250 Lariat) I couldn't justify the extra $9K when I could get everything else I wanted with cloth seats. 45K miles later and I am still happy with my decision.

On the other hand, if I had a Laramie and had the option to step down to a newer Bighorn with minimal loss...no thanks. Outside of uConnect 5 (that I'm sure will have plenty of issues the first year out in the RAM) and the Off-Road Pages I'd stick with what I've got and wait until the year after the powertrain refresh before I'd start looking.

Just my .02

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You will probably miss the "extras" if you drop down to a Big Horn. My advice is to stick with the Laramie. If you were going in the opposite direction (Big Horn to Laramie) my advice might be different.

U

User_3336

There was a 21 Laramie on the lot where I got my truck. It was $5500 more than the one I got, and get this . . .

It was a non-etorque 4x2 ! !

Mine was a 21 Hemi Etorque Big Horn Level 2 4x4 with the off road pkg. @ 53,000.
Laramie was a 4x4 Regular Hemi. Leather seats wtih Nav and LED headlights, and oh, it was a night edition Wasn't seeing the $5,500 difference (Was 58,500), especially it being a 4x2. Dealer probably going to be stuck with it. lar.jpg

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There was a 21 Laramie on the lot where I got my truck. It was $5500 more than the one I got, and get this . . .

It was a non-etorque 4x2 ! !

Mine was a 21 Hemi Etorque Big Horn Level 2 4x4 with the off road pkg. @ 53,000.
Laramie was a 4x4 Regular Hemi. Leather seats wtih Nav and LED headlights, and oh, it was a night edition Wasn't seeing the $5,500 difference (Was 58,500), especially it being a 4x2. Dealer probably going to be stuck with it.
Not necessarily. I see plenty of bare-bones Laramies running around (8.4", non-nav, 18" wheels, 4x2, no running boards, no pano roof, etc.). Sure their interior is plusher than mine but I'm pretty sure I paid more for my Bighorn since I checked almost all of the option boxes.

U

User_3336

Not necessarily. I see plenty of bare-bones Laramies running around (8.4", non-nav, 18" wheels, 4x2, no running boards, no pano roof, etc.). Sure their interior is plusher than mine but I'm pretty sure I paid more for my Bighorn since I checked almost all of the option boxes.
Not necessarily what? No one is going to give $58,500 for that truck!

Reverse

Reaction score
Serious question: why do you want to trade for a new Big Horn? Is there something wrong with the Laramie? Because you'd get more than you paid for it?

Whatever you get over what you paid for the Laramie will be lost by buying the Big Horn with new prices being so high (i.e no big incentives )right now.

Users who are viewing this thread