5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading the owners manual, it says 89 gasoline is recommended as it using Top Tier gasoline. The only Top Tier gasoline available locally does not hav

mccfamily

Reaction score
Reading the owners manual, it is recommended to use 89 octane and to use Top Tier gasoline. The gas stations locally that offer Top Tier gasoline doesn’t have 89 gasoline. It only has 87 and 91 non-ethanol. Not sure which to use. I tow a cargo trailer full of video broadcast equipment a lot.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You will be fine with 89 and it doesn't need to be top tier. Some people use 87 when not towing.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Reading the owners manual, it is recommended to use 89 octane and to use Top Tier gasoline. The gas stations locally that offer Top Tier gasoline doesn’t have 89 gasoline. It only has 87 and 91 non-ethanol. Not sure which to use. I tow a cargo trailer full of video broadcast equipment a lot.
you are going to get many different opinions about this

read this thread one of many here

costco has the same octane as you mentioned above
around town I run 87
when on a couple of hundred mile trip I do half and half

IMO bottom line run what you want and if it pings (knocks) run a tank of higher octane

and remember take what you read here with a grain of salt.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If that's your only option for top tier, if you fill up at half tank, you can alternate 87 and 91 fill ups to equal out to around 89 octane.

jimchi

Reaction score
Official Top Tier brands list here:

HAL9001

Reaction score
Top Tier gas is important, it's guaranteed to contain vital additives any newer engine requires. 89 octane is not usually vital, it's simply recommended. 87 octane works fine and will not void your warranty. You may not get the best overall performance and fuel economy with 87, but it also costs considerably less.

If you tow, then you should use 89 or 91, but for light driving 87 will do. You can also mix 87 and 91 to approximately achieve 89 but that requires that you fill up at around the half-empty mark which is a pain or that you fill half an empty tank with 91, then the other half with 87 which is also more work. But, at least you have options.

Jako

Reaction score
Where the heck do you live? Even Arco is top tier these days. Just about any national brand is going to be top tier.
The one I find missing from the Top Tier list is Safeway which replaced Hess.

Before completing the spin-off, Marathon Petroleum subsidiary Speedway LLC announced on May 22, 2014, that it would acquire the retail unit of Hess Corp for $2.87 billion. Following the closure of the acquisition in late 2014, all Hess gas stations were rebranded as Speedway gas stations by the end of 2017.[26][27] The transaction completed the transformation of Hess into an energy company focused solely on exploration and production, effectively reversing the Amerada merger of almost 50 years prior.

Omiester2

Reaction score
you are going to get many different opinions about this

read this thread one of many here

costco has the same octane as you mentioned above
around town I run 87
when on a couple of hundred mile trip I do half and half

IMO bottom line run what you want and if it pings (knocks) run a tank of higher octane

and remember take what you read here with a grain of salt.
Normally I fill her up with Shell Mid Grade, but these days with prices spiking at the pump some of us need to cut back. So I'll mix half 89 and 87. Feel for the working folks that need to decide between more go juice and feeding the kiddies. Around here in SW IL, the nearest Shell station is almost cheapest gas in town, the Moto Mart across the street beats em by a penney, but the farther into town and holy moly it gets higher n higher. Happy Memorial Day everyone!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sounds like Costco to me, they are only 87 or 91 for Top Tier.

I use their 91, because it meets the 89 recommendation while still being cheaper than other stations 87.

As mentioned, you could mix 91 + 87 to get 89. Though if at a Costco station, you are likely to get purged by the drivers behind you for trying that at one go. What could work is filling with 91 first, then fill up with 87 at half a tank. Then run that to empty and do it again. I try that sometimes, but sometimes forget what I put in last or have to keep driving beyond half a tank and screw up the ratio. Honestly not worth it to me at Costco prices.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
What is the difference that heavy towing makes?

The manual states for the best fuel efficiency and performance, to use 89. If you use 87, it probably adjust the timing to prevent knock which lowers power slightly. So makes sense to use 89 to give you the full performance of your engine in situations like towing.

Some owners have mentioned a slight bit of pining/detonation when running on 87, which is fine once in a while, but towing is likely to increase that.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I use 87 because the manual says 87 -89 only mentioning 89 for optimum performance. Since I am not running for pink slips against anyone or betting money at the track. I can settle for just good performance at what is in my area $0.40/ gallon less. It gets my truck down the road just fine. And it's top tier which means it has detergents in it.

I was using Sheetz e88 (15% ethanol) but that got expensive now too.

tigercat74

Reaction score
Sounds like Costco to me, they are only 87 or 91 for Top Tier.

I use their 91, because it meets the 89 recommendation while still being cheaper than other stations 87.

As mentioned, you could mix 91 + 87 to get 89. Though if at a Costco station, you are likely to get purged by the drivers behind you for trying that at one go. What could work is filling with 91 first, then fill up with 87 at half a tank. Then run that to empty and do it again. I try that sometimes, but sometimes forget what I put in last or have to keep driving beyond half a tank and screw up the ratio. Honestly not worth it to me at Costco prices.

People at Costco can be crazy. I like going when they first open.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
As others have stated. Got this from my manual.
View attachment 130886
Yep. That's it. You posted the whole thing, thanks. That's where it says the engine was designed for 87 to 89 and 15% ethanol too. Unfortunately many people can only match pictures so they think 89 is the only way. Words are important.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use 87 because the manual says 87 -89 only mentioning 89 for optimum performance. Since I am not running for pink slips against anyone or betting money at the track. I can settle for just good performance at what is in my area $0.40/ gallon less. It gets my truck down the road just fine. And it's top tier which means it has detergents in it.

I was using Sheetz e88 (15% ethanol) but that got expensive now too.
Might as well go with 3.21s in the next one. :LOL:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. That's it. You posted the whole thing, thanks. That's where it says the engine was designed for 87 to 89 and 15% ethanol too. Unfortunately many people can only match pictures so they think 89 is the only way. Words are important.
Then there are those who just want all of what we paid for so we run 89 octane. It's $2-$5 a tank difference depending on your local prices and how low you let your tank run. If that is what's going to make or break you paying your bills you probably shouldn't be driving a new $40+k truck.

Users who are viewing this thread