5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re-fueling issues on 2021 RAM 1500 limited

Wsmith

Reaction score
I have absolutely no helpful information, but loved the part when you told the dealer what was going on he actually said don't use premium. Translation - your problem is that you are bothering me with your issue, and I will tell you anything to get you off of the phone, we already have your money.

Reactions: Buz

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have absolutely no helpful information, but loved the part when you told the dealer what was going on he actually said don't use premium. Translation - your problem is that you are bothering me with your issue, and I will tell you anything to get you off of the phone, we already have your money.
Ha. I thought the same thing.
To the OP, whoever at the dealership said to you " don't fill premium." please don't ever let that person handle your stuff ever again. If they ever stick you with that person again ask the manager to deal with you directly.

dschweers

Reaction score
Update:
After a long brutal cold spell, the dealership was willing to take the car for inspection since last week when i tried to fill the tank it won't take more than 1 gallon. Twice I tried to fuel it back and the pump would click. Third time i forced filled it as I had to fill enough to reach home.

Today they inspected the truck and voila, the gas tank is bad. So now they special order the gas tank (33-gallon) which takes 5 days and then call me back. So I asked the woman on phone as to what the technician said and all she had to say was that there in something inside the gas tank which cannot be changed and hence it has to be replaced.

Thanks to mikeru82 and others. Hopefully i get the new truck back

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Major Update:

So the dealership kept my truck for 2 weeks and said that a part was shipped by FCA from Rhode Island and that UPS because of weather conditions couldn't deliver it to them. I was upset and finally gave up and asked my truck back as I didn't buy it to make it stand in dealer's parking lot.

They received the part last Friday and picked my truck again on Monday Mar 15th and the kicker comes from them.

FCA is AWARE OF GAS TANK ISSUES and has issued a RECALL and told the dealers NOT to INSTALL THESE GAS TANKS now. There is a new redesign for the 33-gallon tank and it is in production. I have now been told by dealer they have access to that part from some place in Milwaukee. Don't KNOW WHO TO TRUST NOW. But i am just hoping this should be an END TO THE ISSUE.

ITs has been everything but pleasant now. I don't have words to describe how Detroit motors work.

Can you send us your VIN and dealer info so we can look into this for you?

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

dschweers

Reaction score
So if you have this problem this is a fix but does it fall under warranty?

brewdad

Reaction score
If this is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB), then it is covered under basic 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. Recalls are warranty for the life of a vehicle. If a identical problem keeps showing up for similar vehicles, the auto makers publish these TSB's to save diagnostic time for the technicians---the tech types customer complaint into computer and if it is a common problem, it is likely there is a TSB in the data base and it shows how to fix the problem.

prabhuram

Reaction score
Can you send us your VIN and dealer info so we can look into this for you?

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
How can i reach you. i was just talking to the dealership this morning and they told me of a phone number. Let me know. I don't know how private DM works here.

prabhuram

Reaction score
UPDATE:
AS if changing fuel tank wasn't enough after a load of BS was thrown at me that FCA issued a change of part and said there is "identified" vapor lock on the fuel tanks. They changed the tank (after 3 weeks of wait) and again the SAME issue. What a disgusting QUALITY CONTROL CHECK BY RAM on new LIMITED vehicles.

I drove 100 miles to show this dealer what they couldn't understand is that the truck has STARTUP ISSUES after fueling. After the first one, it is all FINE. But you never know what that STARTUP issues leads to and then THE DREADED ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON one fine day which it did again today.

Now i have been told by the dealership where they got a CHRYSLER engineer to inspect where it was told that they will replace the FUEL PUMP, PURGE VALVE and the VAPOR CANISTER just as the TSB pointed out by "ramchaser".

RAM CARES has to clearly compensate for this as i have spent more than 600 miles driving back and forth to the dealership and the truck has been off my hands for more than a month. What S#*T on earth made me buy this TRUCK now.

To be fair to the dealership they did provide loaners and heard me out but the ordeal is painful and NO ONE WANTS TO PULL A NEW TRUCK OUT AND SEE THESE KIND OF ISSUES.

No one takes a TEST DRIVE of a NEW vehicle and fills gas in it to check whether it is going to START OR NOT.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
How can i reach you. i was just talking to the dealership this morning and they told me of a phone number. Let me know. I don't know how private DM works here.
Hover your mouse cursor over the user name and click on "Start conversation" to send a DM directly to a user. Works for @RamCares too.

RamCares

Reaction score
By hovering over our profile name, you are able to select "start a conversation." We will get back to your message as soon as possible in order to assist throughout the remainder of your dealer service. Thank you!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

prabhuram

Reaction score
By hovering over our profile name, you are able to select "start a conversation." We will get back to your message as soon as possible in order to assist throughout the remainder of your dealer service. Thank you!

Kathryn
Ram Cares
i Sent a message to you yesterday. Did you receive it. Would like to talk to you if possible.

prabhuram

Reaction score
Update:

Just spoke to some one at RAM CARES and that in itself was a frustrating experience of explaining why the truck won't take fuel sometimes with the pump nozzle clicking and then START-UP issues and later "ENGINE-LIGHT" ON. I was told that a CASE MANAGER shall be assigned finally.

I really think I have come a long way here from DON'T FILL PREMIUM GAS to all fuel related things been replaced in a BRAND NEW TRUCK.

RamCares

Reaction score
i Sent a message to you yesterday. Did you receive it. Would like to talk to you if possible.
I do not see a message from you-- however, it seems like you've been successful in getting a case escalated for your concern! At this point, your case manager will be in the best position to assist you directly alongside your dealer service. Feel free to reach out with any questions if needed throughout that process.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s weird that you would only have starting issues right after fuelling up and not at any other time.

If something on the vent circuit is clogged you might be having a buildup of pressure in your tank from all of the fuel and added vapours from the movement of fuel. You could test this by removing the nozzle and pressing the flap in the filler neck to see if any excess pressure is present, there should be none.

The pressure has to go somewhere so if the vent is clogged maybe it’s going up the purge circuit into the intake manifold.

All of these circuits are independent of the fuel tank, but maybe a new tank is being produced with the vent a purge hookups in a slightly different area to prevent fuel from entering them.

Topping up a fuel tank after the pump clicks off is bad as it can send fuel right into your vent canister which is full of activated carbon to capture fuel vapours and it doesn’t like being wet.

I have the 33 gallon tank, but my truck is diesel which I’ve had no issues fueling up with.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
UPDATE:
AS if changing fuel tank wasn't enough after a load of BS was thrown at me that FCA issued a change of part and said there is "identified" vapor lock on the fuel tanks. They changed the tank (after 3 weeks of wait) and again the SAME issue. What a disgusting QUALITY CONTROL CHECK BY RAM on new LIMITED vehicles.

I drove 100 miles to show this dealer what they couldn't understand is that the truck has STARTUP ISSUES after fueling. After the first one, it is all FINE. But you never know what that STARTUP issues leads to and then THE DREADED ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON one fine day which it did again today.

Now i have been told by the dealership where they got a CHRYSLER engineer to inspect where it was told that they will replace the FUEL PUMP, PURGE VALVE and the VAPOR CANISTER just as the TSB pointed out by "ramchaser".

RAM CARES has to clearly compensate for this as i have spent more than 600 miles driving back and forth to the dealership and the truck has been off my hands for more than a month. What S#*T on earth made me buy this TRUCK now.

To be fair to the dealership they did provide loaners and heard me out but the ordeal is painful and NO ONE WANTS TO PULL A NEW TRUCK OUT AND SEE THESE KIND OF ISSUES.

No one takes a TEST DRIVE of a NEW vehicle and fills gas in it to check whether it is going to START OR NOT.
Man, sorry to hear about this. I'd be livid as well.

prabhuram

Reaction score
UPDATE:
So finally after lot of diagnosis, they found that the fuel pump has some sugar like substance in it which was preventing the smooth startup. They changed the whole fuel pump, vapor canister, purge valve, tube fuel filler and tube recirculation . It seems someone would have added that intentionally. Since i always fuel up at Costco or BP. Just twice at KWIK Trip to check whether it made any difference. My truck stands in private parking lot always and the startup issues were from the very first fueling of the truck so it concludes that if something was done then it was at the dealer's lot or at the plant even before purchase was made. I got when the miles read 18. So the mystery continues. I am going to fill the tank up when it is near empty, so TEST in progress.

Dealership did work with me in the process and RAMCARES did reach out promptly. I hope it is a good ending and I don't want to see both Dealership or RAMCARES now. Only interested in OIL CHANGES.

Attachments

• Fuel Pump.jpg
    Fuel Pump.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Fuel Pump Full.jpg
    Fuel Pump Full.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 26

Florida Ranger

Reaction score
When you know your are rite ,”NEVER” give up. Then if you have to “BOW-UP”. In Florida if that don’t fix problem at your Dealer then we get the vehicle “LEMON LAWED” usually before it gets to Lemon Law the Dealer see’s you are serious and fixes problem. Also you can tell Dealer you are going to take your story to the local TV station , no dealer wants Bad Publicity. ( ask me how I know )

Florida Ranger

Reaction score
Never threaten a Dealer , but PROMISE him you will do what you say you will do....Then do it.....

Users who are viewing this thread