5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ramcares repair scam\fraud

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Im not sure I understand this whole issue, you have chips in the bumper and expect RAM to pay for it? Is it because of the paint being soft and inferior? Not judging just want to understand the issue better. If thats the issue how is it Rams responsibility to cover road hazards? Once again not judging
There's a difference between a few rock chips from daily driving, and the excessive amount he had from paint that obviously wasn't adhering to the bumoer properly, or just poor quality paint in general. The fact that he had taken it to two different dealers, and also had RAM Customer Support agreeing to pay for it to be repaired, knowing it was from rock chips, and then balking on the agreement after the fact is the issue. It's not like they didn't know the chips were from road debris before the body shop did that work.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a difference between a few rock chips from daily driving, and the excessive amount he had from paint that obviously wasn't adhering to the bumoer properly, or just poor quality paint in general. The fact that he had taken it to two different dealers, and also had RAM Customer Support agreeing to pay for it to be repaired, knowing it was from rock chips, and then balking on the agreement after the fact is the issue. It's not like they didn't know the chips were from road debris before the body shop did that work.
The dealers said no because it wasn't purchased there or because it wasn't a defect? Any dealer in good warranty standing can goodwill anything within the parameters set by Stellantis. It comes from the dealer level, not Ramcares. Ramcares can only make recommendations. I get that they said get it done, they don't pay the bills unfortunately.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The dealers said no because it wasn't purchased there or because it wasn't a defect? Any dealer in good warranty standing can goodwill anything within the parameters set by Stellantis. It comes from the dealer level, not Ramcares. Ramcares can only make recommendations. I get that they said get it done, they don't pay the bills unfortunately.
First dealer said they wouldn't look at it because i did not purchase it from them, not even step outside and I was told it would be a "3 year wait".
This same dealership had no problem preforming HCP updates and the sort for me before.

The second dealership didn't know what to do and just took pictures and told me to call Ramcares or whoever back because they didn't know what to do with the pictures and they didn't have a body shop which Ramcares thought they did (I don't think they worked with very many customer service cases before). They did eventually get called by Ramcares and said it "looked like rock chips". This was before I was told it would be covered, but I was told to go to a third dealership that had a body shop just to get an estimate (for a goodwill repair).
The third dealership did not have a body shop and said they couldn't give me a quote\estimate for it.

As I have told you before, dealerships around here suck so I wasn't surprised (the 3 year part did surprise me, I even asked "can't you walk outside and look" and I was told "no" and given the ram customer service number on a sticky note).
1690903374061.png

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry Darksteel, I understand and feel your frustration. Manufacturers should be held accountable for these paint issues. I went to the used car lot just for this because I got a few rock chips (they say) when I had only less than 2,500 miles on it; three on the front bumper and one on the door handle. You can't tell me rock chips can do this alone! Cheap quality/ cutting corners in the paint department!! Ford, Chevy, GMC, ect have the same issues, unacceptable for what people are paying for their investment. So people can't use a truck as a truck? I shouldn't have to spend $$ on PPF; I'm old school, I like waxing my vehicles. One member here even has his fender flares on here peeling like an onion. I didn't want the chrome package for my factory order, but after visiting the used car lots, I couldn't believe my eyes. Why should a customer have to pay out of pocket to have their bumper repainted; what if it happens again? $$$. I thought about getting a chrome bumper after seeing this but this would make the vehicle look out of place so I opted for this....

View attachment 164249

Why didn't you just have your upper and lower bumpers sprayed with Line X?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I
First dealer said they wouldn't look at it because i did not purchase it from them, not even step outside and I was told it would be a "3 year wait".
This same dealership had no problem preforming HCP updates and the sort for me before.

The second dealership didn't know what to do and just took pictures and told me to call Ramcares or whoever back because they didn't know what to do with the pictures and they didn't have a body shop which Ramcares thought they did (I don't think they worked with very many customer service cases before). They did eventually get called by Ramcares and said it "looked like rock chips". This was before I was told it would be covered, but I was told to go to a third dealership that had a body shop just to get an estimate (for a goodwill repair).
The third dealership did not have a body shop and said they couldn't give me a quote\estimate for it.

As I have told you before, dealerships around here suck so I wasn't surprised (the 3 year part did surprise me, I even asked "can't you walk outside and look" and I was told "no" and given the ram customer service number on a sticky note).
View attachment 164283
I know you say the dealers suck. Crazy for me to think they don't have warranty corrosion claims to make.... Wrangler hinges, doors and Pacifica hoods are some of the most common corrosion warranty claims. I'm guessing they don't want to deal with it. My front bumper paid $996.80 to paint under warranty. I didn't use the dealership body shop either.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm adding any updates I get on the first post.
Looks like I was able to engage someone in Corporate because of YOU GUYS HERE :) which is part of the reason I made this thread (besides giving everyone else a fair warning this could happen to them for something else).

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I

I know you say the dealers suck. Crazy for me to think they don't have warranty corrosion claims to make.... Wrangler hinges, doors and Pacifica hoods are some of the most common corrosion warranty claims. I'm guessing they don't want to deal with it. My front bumper paid $996.80 to paint under warranty. I didn't use the dealership body shop either.
The first dealership said something about corrosion repairs, backed up, and if not sold from this dealer turn them away (I think that's where the 3 year wait comes from)
I don't remember exactly how they said it but that was the jist.
I think they are the only dealership within 100 miles that has their own body shop and they are trying to take care of "their customers" first which I understand but it sucks for everyone else. Dealerships are just privately owned companies at the end of the day with very little oversight from the manufacturer. If they don't have the staffing\building power to handle more people there's only so much they can do I suppose

I did ask if they could just engage with Ram customer service even if it was just reporting whatever needed to be done and sending me away to somewhere else to get it painted. I guess that would give them no profit since they wouldn't be doing the repair and likely not paid to look at my truck and talk to Ram?

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
Hey that looks nice, where do you get that fender condom at ? Or did that come with the car ?

I painted it because the paint texture wasn't that great to me; see link below.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just got a message from Ramcares, they really knocked it out of the park with this one.
They just called me Marc, who is the second agent from Ram customer service who last told me I was all set, and i was re-sending the emails directly to them yesterday.
What a bunch of idiots they are at Ramcares on this forum. Even if they are "trying" to help they could at least read the first line of a message before trying to copy and paste a crap response to "someone"
Really painting a nice picture here...

1690921476265.png

All I can think of at this point is this picture.
1690921646328-png.164299

Attachments

• 1690921646328.png
    1690921646328.png
    260.7 KB · Views: 178

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just got a message from Ramcares, they really knocked it out of the park with this one.
They just called me Marc, who is the second agent from Ram customer service who last told me I was all set, and i was re-sending the emails directly to them yesterday.
What a bunch of idiots they are at Ramcares on this forum. Even if they are "trying" to help they could at least read the first line of a message before trying to copy and paste a crap response to "someone"
Really painting a nice picture here...

View attachment 164298

All I can think of at this point is this picture.
1690921646328-png.164299
Wow. Hannah obviously doesn’t know how to read.

BowDown

Reaction score

Not true, I painted cars for 10 years. It depends on the conditions where you're driving. I can see in the pics that those are from rock strikes and not paint chipping which looks entirely different. There is no paint in the world that when applied to a steel bumper and struck by rocks while driving that will not chip; but don't take my word for it, revisit this in 60 days and see if there are not new rock chips.

Funny thing about paint, the thicker you spray the more prone it is to chip when struck; this repaint will not last any longer than the previous one did.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not true, I painted cars for 10 years. It depends on the conditions where you're driving. I can see in the pics that those are from rock strikes and not paint chipping which looks entirely different. There is no paint in the world that when applied to a steel bumper and struck by rocks while driving that will not chip; but don't take my word for it, revisit this in 60 days and see if there are not new rock chips.

Funny thing about paint, the thicker you spray the more prone it is to chip when struck; this repaint will not last any longer than the previous one did.
My 2020 with 30k miles, many of those in gravel roads, didn't have hardly any rock chips when I took it off for the off-road bumper.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sucks but it seems ram found a way out but the report from the collision shop.
Probably once it was submitt
My 2020 with 30k miles, many of those in gravel roads, didn't have hardly any rock chips when I took it off for the off-road bumper.
based on comparing my 4gen painted bumper vs our bts - the BTS has been shown to be more resistant to rock chips and maybe even for bad factory paint jobs to be less noticeable

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You drove down a gravel road.... how would you get paint damage on the front of your truck? Gravel doesn't travel forward does it?

Unless you were driving too close to the car in front of you.

Dewey

Reaction score
You drove down a gravel road.... how would you get paint damage on the front of your truck? Gravel doesn't travel forward does it?

Unless you were driving too close to the car in front of you.
A majority of the chips on my BackCountry came this past winter from rock salt on the freeway getting kicked up from vehicles or bouncing down the road behind a salt truck. At 70-80 mph it’s unavoidable.

I touched them all up with a Dr Colorchip kit a few months ago and been good since. I’ll touch them up as needed. I would never expect a painted bumper to remain chip free forever. Only permanent solution is wrap them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread