5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ramcares repair scam\fraud

GMetal

Reaction score
It interesting to me how the body and bumpers are painted seperately. Id like to see more detail how everything is prepped and painted.

GMetal

Reaction score
A half pint of DCX 61 hardener for PPG DCU2021 clear coat is $100. Thats mixed at a 4:1:1 ratio. The clear coat is $120 for a quart. The reducer is about $55. Paint isnt cheap.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my 22 looks like crap too not that bad but I checked on the ppf and 2800? wow cheaper to put after market bumper
For just the bumper, or the whole truck? I paid $400 for the bumper and the side view mirrors.

Honestly, if it’s already full of paint chips, it’s too late. Of course, it will prevent a lot of new chips, but it will not hide the ones that are already there.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
For just the bumper, or the whole truck? I paid $400 for the bumper and the side view mirrors.

Honestly, if it’s already full of paint chips, it’s too late. Of course, it will prevent a lot of new chips, but it will not hide the ones that are already there.
I had a quote for $600 for just the bumper, but nothing else on the front, like below the headlights.
Sounded like a hackjob as I found out the guy that does it doesn't even have his own shop and works out of his house without a garrage. Not saying everyone that works out if their house is bad, but if it's your main gig, should get a place to do it.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a quote for $600 for just the bumper, but nothing else on the front, like below the headlights.
Sounded like a hackjob as I found out the guy that does it doesn't even have his own shop and works out of his house without a garrage. Not saying everyone that works out if their house is bad, but if it's your main gig, should get a place to do it.
Yeah, that’s a little bit high. The guy I went to is legit. One man show, so very little overhead, but he does have a shop! He uses 3M film too. I just had the bumper and mirrors done because my experience with my previous RAM was that they took the biggest beating. I also had him tint the front windows to match the rest.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
my 22 looks like crap too not that bad but I checked on the ppf and 2800? wow cheaper to put after market bumper

I paid $1600 for the entire front included the hood, front fenders and above the windshield. $2800 is high

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That $2800 should have covered more than just the bumper with PPF. That should have been entire front end, hood, fenders, bumper for that price

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3m on the front bumper only. Paid $400. I proceeded to hit a branch on the family cabin driveway, tore the PPF. Slightly mad about it.

GMetal

Reaction score
Theres also different grades of PPF. Not all has the same life span. Yes it needs replacing after 5 or more years depending on the quality. Ive seen cheap PPF fail after a few summers here in Texas. Turns yellow and cracks.
Just for price difference Avery Dennison Supreme Defense gloss clear is $81.15/yd for 60" width it has up 10 years outdoor lifespan and its 8mil thick
Then there is Orafol Oraguard 270G gloss clear $17.59/yd for 50" width it has a 5 year outdoor lifespan and its 6 mil thick.
The labor can be the most expensive part. Anyone that has applied vinyl could do it themselves with an insect sprayer, baby shampoo, Isopropyl alcohol, distilled water and a few spray bottles and heat gun or torch. Plenty of videos on you tube. Having two people makes it way easier since stretching it a bit over the panel is key.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
3m on the front bumper only. Paid $400. I proceeded to hit a branch on the family cabin driveway, tore the PPF. Slightly mad about it.

Thats why you bought it though.
I had a car in front of me run over a piece of card board and fling it into the air. It must have grown wings because it stayed airborne till I got there then came down and hit the panel under the headlights on passenger side. Tore the ppf but that's it. I was "slightly mad" too but S happens

BowDown

Reaction score
Theres also different grades of PPF. Not all has the same life span. Yes it needs replacing after 5 or more years depending on the quality. Ive seen cheap PPF fail after a few summers here in Texas. Turns yellow and cracks.
Just for price difference Avery Dennison Supreme Defense gloss clear is $81.15/yd for 60" width it has up 10 years outdoor lifespan and its 8mil thick
Then there is Orafol Oraguard 270G gloss clear $17.59/yd for 50" width it has a 5 year outdoor lifespan and its 6 mil thick.
The labor can be the most expensive part. Anyone that has applied vinyl could do it themselves with an insect sprayer, baby shampoo, Isopropyl alcohol, distilled water and a few spray bottles and heat gun or torch. Plenty of videos on you tube. Having two people makes it way easier since stretching it a bit over the panel is key.

I know that's what Lexus uses because it all turns yellow and cracks within a few years. I've been curious if that's what Ram is using, I guess well know in about 3 more years.
NTX clear bra did my truck, he used Llumar Platinum Gloss which has a 10 year warranty. We'll see
At this point, I wish I had done the entire truck in PPF, the front never scratches and beads water no matter what. I've had to do paint correction and re-ceramic coat from the drivers doors back 3 times because of the worthlessness of consumer grade ceramic coating. Picking some professional grade Maxx and some Diamond SS from a friend, hopefully this lasts a few years

Last edited:

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know that's what Lexus uses because it all turns yellow and cracks within a few years. I've been curious if that's what Ram is using, I guess well know in about 3 more years.
NTX clear bra did my truck, he used Llumar Platinum Gloss which has a 10 year warranty. We'll see
At this point, I wish I had done the entire truck in PPF, the front never scratches and beads water no matter what. I've had to do paint correction and re-ceramic coat from the drivers doors back 3 times because of the worthlessness of consumer grade ceramic coating. Picking some professional grade Maxx and some Diamond SS from a friend, hopefully this lasts a few years
I just got a quote from Ceramic Pro for their ultimate armor package, which includes full frontal PPF and full ceramic coating with lifetime warranty, for $3600. Was going to take my truck ot get it done when we get my wife's vehicle back from the shop.

Users who are viewing this thread