5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox sloppiness and crappy paint

Kramersp

Reaction score
I love this truck. Best truck I've ever owned. But let's talk about these ramboxes. SLOPPY! Just unsat sloppy. The gaps are way off, they warp and rub when it's hot outside, and they are nowhere near flush with the rest of the body. Oh, and you have to slam them. Just sloppy. And there are swirls in the paint on the rambox lids. Any suggestions? Spoke with my dealer and the process to get new kids is insane and I will be transferred to California by the time they could get anything moving with replacement parts.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love this truck. Best truck I've ever owned. But let's talk about these ramboxes. SLOPPY! Just unsat sloppy. The gaps are way off, they warp and rub when it's hot outside, and they are nowhere near flush with the rest of the body. Oh, and you have to slam them. Just sloppy. And there are swirls in the paint on the rambox lids. Any suggestions? Spoke with my dealer and the process to get new kids is insane and I will be transferred to California by the time they could get anything moving with replacement parts.
Photos please

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't even know if that's acceptable or not...seems...not so great. Are the 2018's with RamBoxes pretty well ironed out fit and finish wise?

mikemcfarland

Reaction score

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
i know on my (6' 4") 2013 rambox they had issues. after 5 years mine look similar to yours now. there were a few u-tube videos on how to re-align them. not sure if it will work on the new 2019's though. fwiw. mine did not come like that. took 5 years to get to that stage.
Just to clarify... Do you mean they started out perfect then got worse in 5 years? Or they are worse and then 5 years worth of improvements they started to look close to Kramersp?

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
Just to clarify... Do you mean they started out perfect then got worse in 5 years? Or they are worse and then 5 years worth of improvements they started to look close to Kramersp?

they were excellent when originally ordered and are now are off -like @Kramersp. after 5years of living up here in canada and STEADY use. (almost daily) they could use some adjusting. im not worried about it- having 174,000 kilometres on it and new truck on the way.(y)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Agree. Totally unsat.
The QC sometimes boggles the mind. Unfriggin’ real. Hopefully the’ll get it corrected soon.

Cheers,

Douglas31

Reaction score
Mine are not 100% aligned either as the top rails are slightly curved on both sides. After my first wash I did notice some swirl marks in them. I attributed it to the same ordeal I had in a black 4 door wrangler with a painted hard top with swirl marks all over it. I just assume they are both painted separately from the vehicle and the quality is not the same. I was able to fix it with some polish and wax C4B2857F-9CC3-4401-B2F3-1BA26B6F66F1.jpeg

Kramersp

Reaction score
Mine are not 100% aligned either as the top rails are slightly curved on both sides. After my first wash I did notice some swirl marks in them. I attributed it to the same ordeal I had in a black 4 door wrangler with a painted hard top with swirl marks all over it. I just assume they are both painted separately from the vehicle and the quality is not the same. I was able to fix it with some polish and wax View attachment 3935
Do you have to slam yours to close?

Douglas31

Reaction score
Do you have to slam yours to close?
I do. I am hoping that part works itself out over time just like the Tailgate open indicator I was getting if I didn’t close the tailgate hard enough. I also noticed the driver side rambox lights come on automatically when I open it and the passenger side does not. I can turn on the lights on the passenger side with the yellow push button and to be honest I couldn’t tell you if I turn them on that way and close it if they turn off and it is just operator error on my part.

Kramersp

Reaction score
I was told the process to replace the kids was to take a bunch of precise measurements, go to a body shop, get quotes, send them to the factory, wait for approval, then order the lids. Recieve lids, get them painted and install. Will take months.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like some great places for water and debris to sit for future rust to start

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was told the process to replace the kids was to take a bunch of precise measurements, go to a body shop, get quotes, send them to the factory, wait for approval, then order the lids. Recieve lids, get them painted and install. Will take months.
Horrible process

Users who are viewing this thread