5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox opened while driving

flyingpoint

Reaction score
My 21 Limited's rambox popped open during our vacation trip a month ago. Brought it in today along with 80k miles service. Was told that the rambox TSB offer was expired already, but lucky that I bought extended warranty which can cover this issue. I do feel sorry to the truck owners who have to pay out of pocket to get this WELL KNOWN issues fixed.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 21 Limited's rambox popped open during our vacation trip a month ago. Brought it in today along with 80k miles service. Was told that the rambox TSB offer was expired already, but lucky that I bought extended warranty which can cover this issue. I do feel sorry to the truck owners who have to pay out of pocket to get this WELL KNOWN issues fixed.
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this issuel. We are glad to hear that you were able to bring this to the dealers attention for repair. If you need any additional support while they work to repair your vehicle, please feel free to send us a private message.

Lex
Ram Cares

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 22's Rambox opened by itself once on the highway.
I turned to the right and told her to properly shut it (slam it) an haven't had any problems since :)

djmichaelwenz

Reaction score
My 2020 Rebel is doing this on the driver side. Have had the harness replaced 3 days ago and after 8 hours and no rain it popped open and the lock stopped working. It seems like if you push the button there is a delayed reaction. Its happening now constantly. Have a 2nd appointment tomorrow and I hope to hell they do not diagnose it again and tell me to come back. Will be the 6th trip for this issue if that is the case and its about 45 mins away and I have to take off work. I brought the TSB from this form to the dealer and they fixed it apparently (still happens) just got the truck

FutureRebel

Reaction score
My Ram Box started having the same issue this week. Of course it happen 1 week after my 3 year warranty was up. Anybody get the wire harness replaced at a dealership after warranty and want to say how much it cost?

Last edited:

RamRod2020

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am happy to inform that there has been a TSB released which appears to address the symptoms you've described here. We recommend visiting your dealer to go over the specifics of the bulletin and how it may correspond to your vehicle. See attached:
View attachment 91853

As always, please send our team a PM should you have any questions.

Kathryn
Ram Cares
My 2020 Ram 1500 Built to Serve edition has been doing this since December 2020, the dealership replaced the latch, thought it solved the problem for a while fast forward to 2023 it started over again after a hard rain.

RamRod2020

Reaction score
My 2020 Ram 1500 Built to Serve edition has been doing this since December 2020, the dealership replaced the latch, thought it solved the problem for a while fast forward to 2023 it started over again after a hard rain.
So is the new harness going to cost anything to replace since mine is out of warrenty

FutureRebel

Reaction score
Replaced my cable harness with the one listed. Took about an hour. It fixed the problem of my box opening randomly. Bought the cable on eBay for roughly $50. I applied some dielectric grease around the connectors to help prevent water from getting into the connector.

WhiteReb

Reaction score
I had a similar issue and thought I would post the symptoms and fix here for future searches.
  • The issue was the driver's side RamBox would open after approximately 30 seconds of getting out and closing door. Once I physically closed it, would not open with the button or even the key. Not the same as opening randomly driving down the road like others have mentioned here.
  • I took the latch cover off and saw the cable that the key is attached to was off the mounts that hold it so it will open the latch. I fixed it and added a zip tie to hold in bracket so it would not fall out again.
  • The key would work now but it still had the other issue of opening after getting out and not opening once closed again.
  • Unplugged the wire connector and it would not open with the button or after getting out but could NOW open with the key.
  • Ordered new latch assembly since the circuit board that controls this function is in the latch unit. This fixed the issue completely.
The reason I think this was happening is that since the RamBoxes are tied to the locking functions of the car the latch had a short or electrical problem that made the truck think that the latch was malfunctioning, and the truck was kicking in the safety feature that would unlock the door (not locking someone in the vehicle). When driving the key was in the truck and would not open any other time, just when closing the doors and walking away.

I bought a new button ($15.00) just in case and new latch assembly ($45.00) off eBay to complete the fix.
Will hold on to the button since the front doors and RamBoxes use the same one.

RamRod2020

Reaction score
I had the TSB fixed on the Ram box, dealership found by replacing the electrical pig tail a short further underneath another connection. Near the rear axle. Water moisture was entering the plug causing corrosion.in the pin area. so another section of electrical wiring had to be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread