5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM Payload Definition in Regards to Towing

ramblin'man

Reaction score
Best thing for you to do would be find a truck that is close and run the vin to show what the real world numbers are.

Yeah, been doing that a lot over here https://www.ramtrucks.com/new-inventory.ram_1500_dt.2021.html?modelYearCode=IUT202120&radius=250 but it max's out at 250mi.

So I've been using a list of 'prime' zip-codes (throughout the U.S.) in an effort to maximize the search base. Each of the (3) stars should give about 6,000+ 2021 1500's on a given day. It goes down from there.

*** 10511 Peekskill NY
*** 32801 Orlando FL
*** 46921 Deedsville IN
*** 26003 Wheeling WV
** 93261 Richgrove CA
** 75833 Centerville TX
** 29693 Madison SC
* 36784 Thomasville AL

REF:
To find a good zip-code; use a population density map and select a target area, then create a circle for that approx. area with chosen radius using https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php, zoom in to find a city/town in the center and grab the zip.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I searched nationwide using AutoTrader or cars.com, as both offer a “keyword” section.

I found it effective and used commas between items as such as “3.92, 33 gallon, 4 corner”

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Based on your signature of needing 1,450 lb payload....

TBD: Ram 1500, Payload sticker >=1,450lbs (NEEDS) | 5.7 Hemi eTorque | 3.92 Gearing | 4-Corner Air Susp | MFT | Technology Grp | Tow Grp | Trailer Brake | Adv Safety | 8.4 Uconnect |33g Tank | (WANTS, if payload allows) |CrewCab | DualPano | Rambox (now restricted for 2021) | 4x4 | Bed Ult Grp | Trailer Reverse |Trailer Cam Prep | Pwr runners | Your thoughts?

I can tell you a loaded Laramie/Longhorn/Limited Crew Cab 4x4 5’7” bed are all around 1,400 lbs payload without eTorque, MFT or Ram Box.

Payload hit for Torque is 80-90lbs, MFT is 65-75 lbs and Ram Box is 150 lbs.
I barely remember this thread (effects of age) but my ex Limited had 1476# yellow sticker payload, that was with 4x, a pano but no ET or MFT or Ramboxes.
So if you are looking for a Ltd with at least 1450#, they are out there.
Mine is sitting at Autonation (still, been 3 weeks now) as I type this. I only had 3.21 gears but there's no difference on payload with gears, just GCVWR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I barely remember this thread (effects of age) but my ex Limited had 1476# yellow sticker payload, that was4x, a pano and no ET or MFT or Ramboxes.
So if you are looking for a Ltd with at least 1450#, they are out there. Mine is sitting at Autonation (still, been 3 weeks now) as I type this. I only had 3.21 gears but there's no difference on payload with gears, just GCVWR.
I agree with you, my Laramie has a 1454# payload and I have the pano moonroof and eTorque.

ramblin'man

Reaction score
I barely remember this thread (effects of age) but my ex Limited had 1476# yellow sticker payload, that was4x, a pano and no ET or MFT or Ramboxes.
So if you are looking for a Ltd with at least 1450#, they are out there. Mine is sitting at Autonation (still, been 3 weeks now) as I type this. I only had 3.21 gears but there's no difference on payload with gears, just GCVWR.
I agree with you, my Laramie has a 1454# payload and I have the pano moonroof and eTorque.

Thanks for the info! I'm still hoping to get the multi function tailgate into the mix.

Dr. Cheeseburger

Reaction score
2021 Limited here with:

4x4
eTorque
Pano Roof
MFT
33 gallon fuel tank

Payload 1,190 lbs

If I had the Ram Boxes it would probably barely clear 1,000 lbs.

joe1148

Reaction score
Hi All,
New to the forum.

I just purchased a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 E-torqe. 5.7 with 3.92. panoramic roof, Level 1 equipment group, and 20" wheels.
My payload is 1527
Max towing 11,427
GCWR 17000 lbs
GVW 7100 lbs.

My trailer is a 2021 Airstream Globe Trotter 25FBT
Advertised Hitch Weight 882 lbs (with LP & Batteries) w/o Options & cargo. So assume its closer to 1000 lbs.
Base weight it 6,074. w/o Options & cargo
GVWR is 7300.
I weigh 183
my wife is 150
my two puppers weigh in total of 50lbs.
Equalizer W/D Hitch is 105 lbs.

Will my truck do this job?

Thanks in advance, Joe

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s a question I don’t see asked to often… how does ram figure out the GVWR for the trucks?
We have J2807 for GCWR and towing, but it appears there is no standard set for finding GVWR.
Biggest reason I question it it’s because the axle ratings and GVWR do not match up whatsoever.

One of the previous posts by IvoryHemi here showed their Durango with a 7100GVWR, and axles that added up to that value ( 3200 and 3900) but for my 4x4 Ram the FAWR is 3900 and the RAWR is 4100… that’s a total of 8000!!

So where is the math that knocks what would seem to be about 900 pounds off the potential payload?

The eco diesel gets a 7200 GVWR, but what changed?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s a question I don’t see asked to often… how does ram figure out the GVWR for the trucks?
We have J2807 for GCWR and towing, but it appears there is no standard set for finding GVWR.
Biggest reason I question it it’s because the axle ratings and GVWR do not match up whatsoever.

One of the previous posts by IvoryHemi here showed their Durango with a 7100GVWR, and axles that added up to that value ( 3200 and 3900) but for my 4x4 Ram the FAWR is 3900 and the RAWR is 4100… that’s a total of 8000!!

So where is the math that knocks what would seem to be about 900 pounds off the potential payload?

The eco diesel gets a 7200 GVWR, but what changed?

There is no rule really. The Durango was a bit of an oddity that it added up nicely. Many trucks GAWR add up to over its GVWR.

2500’s axles add up to over its 10,000 lb GVWR too.

The diesel was given +100 lbs to offset its additional weight. Same reason the 4x4 models get +200 lbs over the 4x2 models (6,900 lbs GVWR) to offset the transfer case & front axle weight.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no rule really. The Durango was a bit of an oddity that it added up nicely. Many trucks GAWR add up to over its GVWR.

2500’s axles add up to over its 10,000 lb GVWR too.

The diesel was given +100 lbs to offset its additional weight. Same reason the 4x4 models get +200 lbs over the 4x2 models (6,900 lbs GVWR) to offset the transfer case & front axle weight.
Yeah that’s what I thought, I wish I could find out what the weak link is that makes ram limit the GVWR, and also what percent of each axles add up to the 7100 pounds in my case. The 2500’s add up to 12,500 in axles ratings which would probably be a bit crazy to try and accomplish, the 1 ton SRW’s don’t even get that high for GVWR.

As for the eco diesel Ram added the extra 100 for weight offset with apparently no other changes but I could be wrong on that one, regardless I think the GVWR’s are pretty low.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m certainly not someone who’s willing to take a stock truck over limits, but discovering what truly knocks the 900 pounds off seems like a great talking point for all the camper lovers out there with payloads as low as 1100 pounds.

As far as I can tell the GVWR limit comes from the suspension squat and rear sway control, and understeer when loaded heavy in the back with lots ofsquat.

As for other factors tire loading on my stock all seasons on 20” rims adds up to over 4600 pounds, the 6 Lug hubs are a huge improvement over the 4th gens that Ram apparently did not take full advantage of, the RAWR is only up 200 pounds from 4th gens, unless some other limit is being reached on the axle shafts or hub it would seem more reasonable to have something like 600 pounds added not 200. From my logic if the axle was at its limits somewhere other than the 5 lug hubs why would ram go to 6 lugs?

Adding things like a stronger rear sway bar, and the airlift 1000HD air assist springs would probably allow for a comfortable bump in payload by improving sway, leveling the truck and killing the higher understeer concerns, the towing numbers are truly tested so I won’t go above any of the limits there, but from a Payload perspective, especially for the guys with rather low payloads under 1200, having an extra 500 pounds would mean a lot.

I know you can’t change the true numbers so this is purely speculative, just my 2 cents on some ways to maybe add a bit of comfort if you’re someone willing to go over manufacturing limits.

My big horn has a decent 1546 payload, and for a crew cab long bed 4x4 reasonably loaded on the inside I’m content with the number, but it’s still cloth seats and the front passenger seat isn’t even powered!🤣 I wish it was more in the 1800-200 pound area but I’m probably just another guy who should’ve bought a 2500…

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I notice that the two options that increase the GVWR (4x4 and the EcoDiesel) also add weight primarily to the front of the truck. I wonder if adding weight to the front somehow positively affects overall stability near the limits, thereby allowing the higher gross weight?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My guess is it’s frame related.

We know it’s not the brakes. Ram has the biggest 1/2 ton brakes yet F-150 gets upto 7850 GVWR with a smaller setup.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I notice that the two options that increase the GVWR (4x4 and the EcoDiesel) also add weight primarily to the front of the truck. I wonder if adding weight to the front somehow positively affects overall stability near the limits, thereby allowing the higher gross weight?
That makes the most sense to me, since steering control, specificity understeer, is a major factor for J2807. It probably has just as big of an effect on payload.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My guess is it’s frame related.

We know it’s not the brakes. Ram has the biggest 1/2 ton brakes yet F-150 gets upto 7850 GVWR with a smaller setup.

If it is frame related then why does the gvwr go unchanged from cc 5’ 7 to 6’ 4? Unless I’m oblivious and the frame is the same length for both but even still one is literally over half a foot longer in the one spot where the weight will probably be going. Oh and Isn’t the Ford frame aluminum which unless I’m wrong is easier to bend than steel? Definitely a possibility though.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it is frame related then why does the gvwr go unchanged from cc 5’ 7 to 6’ 4? Unless I’m oblivious and the frame is the same length for both but even still one is literally over half a foot longer in the one spot where the weight will probably be going. Oh and Isn’t the Ford frame aluminum which unless I’m wrong is easier to bend than steel? Definitely a possibility though.

The bed is aluminum, not frame.
Ford uses a thicker (3mm ?) frame on the HDPP.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The bed is aluminum, not frame.
Ford uses a thicker (3mm ?) frame on the HDPP.
Ah I see, I guess that certainly makes the frame a factor in the GVWR being so much lower.
I’m not sure if I should be impressed by the Durango’s gvwr or disappointed in the Ram, I’m quite surprised they are the same.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah I see, I guess that certainly makes the frame a factor in the GVWR being so much lower.
I’m not sure if I should be impressed by the Durango’s gvwr or disappointed in the Ram, I’m quite surprised they are the same.

I would say impressed by Durango given it’s a unibody

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi All,
New to the forum.

I just purchased a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 E-torqe. 5.7 with 3.92. panoramic roof, Level 1 equipment group, and 20" wheels.
My payload is 1527
Max towing 11,427
GCWR 17000 lbs
GVW 7100 lbs.

My trailer is a 2021 Airstream Globe Trotter 25FBT
Advertised Hitch Weight 882 lbs (with LP & Batteries) w/o Options & cargo. So assume its closer to 1000 lbs.
Base weight it 6,074. w/o Options & cargo
GVWR is 7300.
I weigh 183
my wife is 150
my two puppers weigh in total of 50lbs.
Equalizer W/D Hitch is 105 lbs.

Will my truck do this job?

Thanks in advance, Joe
The truck will handle that weight no problem, just make sure the weights are all where they need to be, tongue weight and WD properly set. I think most people towing a camper around the same size get their trucks weighed at a CAT scale to make sure the weights are in a safe zone. Airstreams are much less prone to dangerous sway from crosswinds but I’d take your time towing it for sure 👍🏻

Also that’s a pretty sweet payload for a Laramie, my bighorn payload is barely 25 pounds higher!

Redfour5

Reaction score
I searched nationwide using AutoTrader or cars.com, as both offer a “keyword” section.

I found it effective and used commas between items as such as “3.92, 33 gallon, 4 corner”
Decent search engine. I'd always used Cargurus but one they don't distinguish by key word search and don't distinguish quad for crew cab for example and they don't get at all available ones as I have seen some dealerships left out. Their "features" list is wanting as anything having to do with towing is not accurate. On Auto Trader, I just put in "Built to Serve" and it came up with a bunch. I got one about six weeks ago AT MSRP. One thing I noticed, is that I do not think a single built to serve was going for under MSRP. You could get Laramies for under per the price listings but not a built to serve. Oh, and it looks like for the Built to Serve Editions left, they are almost all in white (Coast Guard) the last one out. Interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread