5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Could Build An Electrified Ram, If Customers Request It:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it but no one seems to talk about advancements in battery. Tesla has managed to significantly change the range of the Model S since its release, without changing the weight of the car. They continually find ways to improve range using the same physical size battery pack. Curious to what they will announce today.
That’s exactly what we’ve been talking about for the past twenty posts! Tesla has some great advances currently in production, but several other leaps forward are just around the corner. Once you can charge a battery as quickly as you can pump gas...

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What law is broken with my thinking? Always happy to learn. Seriously, don't see it. A shaft is rotating anyway, put it to use in power generation to recharge the onboard battery, then use a small auxiliary gasoline-powered generator if the rotating shaft generators aren't able to sufficiently recharge the battery to kick on at X voltage. What am I missing?
Wouldn't that be called a hybrid.???

ajkeence99

Reaction score
And why is that? Personally, I wasn't sold on electric vehicles until I rode in one. They're more smooth and quiet than a gas vehicle can ever be - the only noise is coming from the tires. Maintenance? Forget oil changes, belts, and buying new components - all you really need to worry about while you own it are brakes and wiper blades. Cost-wise, if you're filling up for $50 once a week, that's $200 a month - probably more than anything you're paying monthly for aside from your house and financing on the truck itself. When my uncle got a Tesla, it was difficult to tell exactly how much it cost them, but they estimated a $40 bump to their electric bill. Even if saving money and having the best driving experience doesn't appeal - who doesn't want 1,000 ft*lb of torque? Once the charging gets down to 15-20 minutes, I'd be all in

I like the sound and the ride in a traditional vehicle. I'd pay more to drive a gas vehicles that I can feel/hear over an EV where you lose everything that makes driving enjoyable to me. Driving for me is a fun thing to do for many reasons but EVs take those things away.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I like the sound and the ride in a traditional vehicle. I'd pay more to drive a gas vehicles that I can feel/hear over an EV where you lose everything that makes driving enjoyable to me. Driving for me is a fun thing to do for many reasons but EVs take those things away.

Drive a Performance Tesla - you won't miss too much.

ajkeence99

Reaction score
Drive a Performance Tesla - you won't miss too much.

Except I will. I don't care about the time on a slip. I don't go to the track. I care about the feel and sound. I would get a manual in every vehicle if it were possible. I don't want self-driving features or, what I consider, soulless vehicles. I'd prefer to drive a 6 cylinder 1996 Mustang over a Tesla.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Except I will. I don't care about the time on a slip. I don't go to the track. I care about the feel and sound. I would get a manual in every vehicle if it were possible. I don't want self-driving features or, what I consider, soulless vehicles. I'd prefer to drive a 6 cylinder 1996 Mustang over a Tesla.
People like you are why MANY cars now play fake engine noise through the speakers. Modern cars with all the complicated emissions stuff are really quiet.
Engine noise is a lie now.

Drewster

Reaction score
I hear you, I have a 6 speed NA BMW M3 that I haul to the track.
That being said, I love it ripping through gears on a fun road, not really sitting in traffic.
It's nice to have a project car that rumbles and has "character" while the daily is quiet, drama free, and reliable ;)

ajkeence99

Reaction score
People like you are why MANY cars now play fake engine noise through the speakers. Modern cars with all the complicated emissions stuff are really quiet.

Not if you want it to be a thing.

Americantruck04

Reaction score
What do you mean engine noise is a lie now, yes they restrict the exhaust on the trucks making them quite replace the exhaust where it’s less restricted and bam let that engine be free.
now if you are talking about the eco boost yes that ****s fake but there’s nothing fake about that v8 noise especially that hemi

Adrianp89

Reaction score
What do you mean engine noise is a lie now, yes they restrict the exhaust on the trucks making them quite replace the exhaust where it’s less restricted and bam let that engine be free.
now if you are talking about the eco boost yes that ****s fake but there’s nothing fake about that v8 noise especially that hemi

Everyone seems to be doing the fake noise now. Even Lamborghini has messed around with the technology.

Americantruck04

Reaction score
Everyone seems to be doing the fake noise now. Even Lamborghini has messed around with the technology.
Yes some people are but that’s because they’re forced to go to smaller engines and forcing manufacturers to add fake noise to make customers happy and when everyone goes electric I personally want them to have a option to have the the fake v8 noise and shut it off if I want it to be quiet

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Guess this will
Be settled soon... commiefornia’s governor just signed an executive action mandating no new gas powered vehicles in a couple years... he wants everyone driving electric cars

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Simply put, everyone will pretty much be full electric by the next decade, it's where everything is going, and as someone who has been an avid RC person for decades, going through gas, nitro and now brushless electric, I'm fine with it. Its vastly faster, cleaner, easier to maintain, and better cost/value proposition.

However, there is a reason why I still have one 1/5th scale gas car, even though it's a lot slower than my electric ones, I like the sound it makes around the track. One of the reasons why I choose a Rebel instead of another Ecoboost was for the sound it made. It gives a sense of occasion when driving that something quiet doesn't.

Luckily we will have plenty of gas powered used stock to go through well after everything is electric, probably a couple hundred years worth of gas vehicles so the "fun" doesn't go away for a long while.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Guess this will
Be settled soon... commiefornia’s governor just signed an executive action mandating no new gas powered vehicles in a couple years... he wants everyone driving electric cars

No one will even live there soon to oblige to the law lol

myles

Reaction score
super excited for electric trucks, once battery tech gets better and it can go 500+miles on a tank/charge and fast charging stations are more available I would get one in a heart beat, being able to charge up at home on solar panels would be awesome. Self driving would be a plus too, just did a 2400 mile round trip to texas and back to socal in 40 hours and it was a rough ride, ACC and the lane assist did make it a bit easier though....

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Guess this will

He is an idiot for many reasons, but his order is for 2035, so 15 years from now, which is about when everyone is expected to be full electric anyways. He didn't choose 2035 on whim, it's a year choosen by other countries as their all electric mandate. The are quite a few manufacturers that stated they will be full electric well before that date, so it's really a mute point, more of a way for him to grandstand.

No one will even live there soon to oblige to the law lol

The exodus is real, being going on for 7 years, I'll be joining it when I retire. But in reality, at this rate will take over a decade for California to drop down to 2nd place behind Texas in population. So it isn't "emptying" out fast enough. Real Estate here is still crazy for a place going through negative population influx, medium home prices just hit $700,000 for the state!

The reason why CARB is so powerful is that it's followed by 12 other states besides California that represent 50% of new vehicle sales. So it's less what California does on it's own and more what CARB does as a group that effects the US vehicle market. They do have too much power and say for the rest of the country, but that's how the economy works right now.

Last edited:

Wpg_BigHorn

Reaction score
I drive northern Canada areas more than I’d like, places where i stop at the last gas station and top up + fill a few jerry cans for the return trip. With the 8 speed I get amazing mileage but I can’t imagine within the next 20 years those places having the infrastructure I’d need to get an electric truck. It would be a major pain lugging extra batteries to get 1,500 km in a 4x4. One can dream though

Users who are viewing this thread