5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Could Build An Electrified Ram, If Customers Request It:

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
I have an Ecodiesel on order, I am hoping it will last me long enough to get into an electric truck after it used up. Ford has applied for a patent for what looks like a generator that would take the place of a toolbox in a truck bed. Rumors have it, it will be for charging the E-trucks when there is no power available, or extending the range. Time will tell. If Borla will make an exhaust for the add-on generator to satisfy the need for that vroom sound it should satisfy everyone.

Drewster

Reaction score
I have an Ecodiesel on order, I am hoping it will last me long enough to get into an electric truck after it used up. Ford has applied for a patent for what looks like a generator that would take the place of a toolbox in a truck bed. Rumors have it, it will be for charging the E-trucks when there is no power available, or extending the range. Time will tell. If Borla will make an exhaust for the add-on generator to satisfy the need for that vroom sound it should satisfy everyone.
Do you have a link to that patent? I read one Ford generator patent a while back, but that was in regard to the whole truck being a generator - which they're doing now with the Hybrid (and later electric as well) https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a35152752/powered-house-ford-f-150-hybrid/

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
Do you have a link to that patent? I read one Ford generator patent a while back, but that was in regard to the whole truck being a generator - which they're doing now with the Hybrid (and later electric as well) https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a35152752/powered-house-ford-f-150-hybrid/
This is one reference on Ford Authority.
I like the idea. I am sure there will be lots of EV industry growing pains, I will be in when they get the range out to 400 miles.

Tones1975

Reaction score
That sounds like a decent idea to extend range. Small diesel generator would be cool

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
That sounds like a decent idea to extend range. Small diesel generator would be cool
I know the new inverter-style generators can produce a lot of power in a small form factor. Like small carry-on luggage size power 20 amp AC on a travel trailer. But how will that convert to fuel economy? If you have it and fill it on the off chance you need it someday, what will the condition of the fuel be. What will the life expectancy be in hours for this little genset? An intriguing idea brings up more questions. I really want to see some stats as it runs for an hour burns 1.5 gallons of fuel and you get a 30-mile charge, service life of the genset is 4000 hours. Something like that.

Drewster

Reaction score
I know the new inverter-style generators can produce a lot of power in a small form factor. Like small carry-on luggage size power 20 amp AC on a travel trailer. But how will that convert to fuel economy? If you have it and fill it on the off chance you need it someday, what will the condition of the fuel be. What will the life expectancy be in hours for this little genset? An intriguing idea brings up more questions. I really want to see some stats as it runs for an hour burns 1.5 gallons of fuel and you get a 30-mile charge, service life of the genset is 4000 hours. Something like that.
I agree it would be cool to see real numbers. Theoretically the overall efficiency would be much higher - road going engines have to be subject to all sorts of weird operating ranges, so they end up with a 20-35% efficiency when they're operated in a car. Generators have the advantage of being optimized for *one* RPM and a rather constant load, so the efficiency can go up to 80-90%, especially if they're already heated from the car's cooling system, etc. etc. The electrical system in the car, on the other hand, can regenerate power during braking, and only supplies power when requested.. unlike the car's engine that's often operating away from peak efficiency or wasting energy to run one of its accessories

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online