5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Could Build An Electrified Ram, If Customers Request It:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram Could Build An Electrified Ram, If Customers Request It:
Manley States An Electrified Ram Isn't Out Of The Question...

Ram-EV.jpg

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think they're signalling: They're not sure if it's worth it,
With the electric technology AS IT CURRENTLY IS, what it costs to develop the platforms and build them vs the customer base infrastructure etc.

I wish I could remember where I saw it, I think it was "Autoline after hours", they were saying that there's supposed to be a big showing of electric cars in showrooms around ~2022, and there really hasn't been shown to be a big enough market footprint to support that amount of vehicles, and at the costs they're at. Everyone's kind of guessing what the demand might be, and at the same time trying to attract investors to their stock with the announcements.

Interesting to see a brand stand up and say what amounts to, "We'll believe it when we see it."

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Not everyone's but the technology isn't new so why are the batteries dying, for the cost of it, it doesn't really get the mileage they were hoping. I would love to get a electric one but until they can get the mileage up and get the infrastructure put in place. Things maybe faster in the US but they sure aren't here in Canada.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not everyone's but the technology isn't new so why are the batteries dying, for the cost of it, it doesn't really get the mileage they were hoping. I would love to get a electric one but until they can get the mileage up and get the infrastructure put in place. Things maybe faster in the US but they sure aren't here in Canada.
There’ve been a few buyers with eTorque issues—just a few, really—but the system has been flawless for most. I agree with you that it would be good to see more than a P0 hybrid, especially with an array of fully-electric trucks and SUVs just around the corner.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Until they find a way for the vehicles to travel more than a few hundred miles before recharging, I don’t see them having a large footprint in the market. They need to figure out how to charge/recharge while driving highway speeds to allow long haul/travel days. Having to stop every few hours and waiting hours for a full recharge just to repeat a few hundred more miles will never fly with the frequent travelers. Just MHO

As for the eTorque I’m don’t have one so don’t know much about it. Does it actually run off the battery while at low speeds or, as I understand it, it is just for the start/stop function while stopped at a light or intersection? In heavy traffic/big cities that would help some with mpg but to me not enough to incur the added maintenance/vehicle cost.

Last edited:

1Zach1

Reaction score
If they could get a ~400 mile range for roughly the price breakdown of the current structure, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
If they could get a ~400 mile range for roughly the price breakdown of the current structure, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Are you willing to wait hours for it to fully recharge if you’re traveling all day for that ~400 miles?

1Zach1

Reaction score
Are you willing to wait hours for it to fully recharge if you’re traveling all day for that ~400 miles?
It doesn't take hours to recharge at a fast DC charger, so I'm not worried about it. I also very rarely travel 400+ miles a day. Just like most people, my typical day is 40-50 miles, with a few big trips a year. Stopping for 30 or so minutes to get some food and bathroom break while the truck recharges is no big deal for me.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's the thing. An EV truck with a 400 mile range would be a commuter and weekend project vehicle basically. If you take the typical loss of MPG's when towing (basically half) then you're looking at a 200 mile or less range when towing. Granted, it would fit a lot customers (possibly myself included), but for the ones that use their trucks as tow vehicles it wouldn't. Most of the reason I need a truck is payload as opposed to towing the occasional trailer/boat.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why can't they come up with a generator to charge the battery while in motion at all times. Lots of rotating shafts that could be used for that purpose and you would never need to recharge and have infinite energy, just 1 initial full charge and produce more than you consume with the onboard generator. If you can't produce enough that way, have a small auxiliary gas-powered generator that would kick in to help when needed. Something with a 2-gallon tank of fuel could run for about 8-10 hours or more.
I think the technology is there, it's just a matter of the egg heads and bean counters to apply it.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why can't they come up with a generator to charge the battery while in motion at all times. Lots of rotating shafts that could be used for that purpose and you would never need to recharge and have infinite energy, just 1 initial full charge and produce more than you consume with the onboard generator. If you can't produce enough that way, have a small auxiliary gas-powered generator that would kick in to help when needed. Something with a 2-gallon tank of fuel could run for about 8-10 hours or more.
I think the technology is there, it's just a matter of the egg heads and bean counters to apply it.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's the thing. An EV truck with a 400 mile range would be a commuter and weekend project vehicle basically. If you take the typical loss of MPG's when towing (basically half) then you're looking at a 200 mile or less range when towing. Granted, it would fit a lot customers (possibly myself included), but for the ones that use their trucks as tow vehicles it wouldn't. Most of the reason I need a truck is payload as opposed to towing the occasional trailer/boat.
Even most non-commercial towing use would be accommodated with a 100-200 mile range (e.g. hauling things around town, pulling the boat to the river/lake). Commercial EV rigs with longer ranges than traditional tractor-trailers (and WAY more power) are just around the corner. That tech will likely trickle down to replace 3/4-ton and 1-ton pickups a little later. Battery tech continues to advance rapidly, too...both in size and charge time. We’re already at a point where a 15-minute charge gets you 50-80% of your range. It won’t be long before it’s as convenient as gasoline for all uses (and you can fill up without leaving the house).

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even most non-commercial towing use would be accommodated with a 100-200 mile range (e.g. hauling things around town, pulling the boat to the river/lake). Commercial EV rigs with longer ranges than traditional tractor-trailers (and WAY more power) are just around the corner. That tech will likely trickle down to replace 3/4-ton and 1-ton pickups a little later. Battery tech continues to advance rapidly, too...both in size and charge time. We’re already at a point where a 15-minute charge gets you 50-80% of your range. It won’t be long before it’s as convenient as gasoline for all uses (and you can fill up without leaving the house).
Agreed. I think within 5 years we'll see the EV truck market take off. If I could get one with a 400-600 mile range that can charge 100% in 30 minutes to an hour for the price point I bought my truck at I would seriously consider it. I rarely tow more than 7k, and if I'm towing that much it's short (less than 100 miles) distances. Like I said, I use my truck bed for payload/hauling far more than tow heavy for distance.

I think the Rivian RT looks great, and if Atlis can actually make their XT look like their renderings I'll be impressed.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.
Not. I see what technology is available now in industrial use, with expansions to plants and the application of new technology there. If you have a rotating shaft for a purpose that can be utilized for power generation, use it. Some mills are self-generating and sell energy back to the electric company and use by-product of production to power production. You have a minimum of 4 shafts rotating rolling down the road, use 2 for power and 2 for power generation.
I guess infinite was a bad choice of words...Longevity is better.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Almost all EV's use some form of regenerative braking to get back some power, but if you're actively using them to turn generators that's additional weight in an already heavy vehicle (EV's are typically heavier than gas vehicles) that's just more strain on the batteries. It's like asking your phone to charge itself while watching a video. True, you can make them more efficient, (less power used or more power returned) but there has to be input somewhere until they make a nuclear reactor small enough to fit in an engine bay.

The best bet for additional power return is solar panels on the roof. Solar technology has come a long way, even in the last few years, and they're starting to see better returns now that panels are becoming cheaper and cheaper.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not. I see what technology is available now in industrial use, with expansions to plants and the application of new technology there. If you have a rotating shaft for a purpose that can be utilized for power generation, use it. Some mills are self-generating and sell energy back to the electric company and use by-product of production to power production. You have a minimum of 4 shafts rotating rolling down the road, use 2 for power and 2 for power generation.
I guess infinite was a bad choice of words...Longevity is better.
I am guessing the comment from @LaxDfns15 was based on the laws of physics...and the inability to break them.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What law is broken with my thinking? Always happy to learn. Seriously, don't see it. A shaft is rotating anyway, put it to use in power generation to recharge the onboard battery, then use a small auxiliary gasoline-powered generator if the rotating shaft generators aren't able to sufficiently recharge the battery to kick on at X voltage. What am I missing?

highgear2005

Reaction score
Are electric system is already stretched! Where does everyone think the power comes from to power these electric vehicles? So are we to build more power plants, just to run our vehicles. I’ll believe it, when we eliminate nascar, traveling sports teams and everything that we use for recreational use. Electric vehicles may be in on future but probably not in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread