5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 Will Get A New G/T Package For The 2022 Model Year!

mophead

Reaction score
I wonder what will be in the place whete the rotary shifter was?🤔
Upfitter switches.... don't hold your breath cuz NOT

While I'm commenting, I'd prefer a column shifter with a true sport mode button (intuitive shift map like my Mazda 6 that always reads my mind to the milisecond. With a 9 speed that would be awesome) . The Tow Haul can stay where it is cuz I would never use it anyways. I really like the space of the current console and wouldn't want to lose it for the shifter. Do not like the dial shifter at all. Don't like the wheel mounted paddles either. It's not a sports car, it's a truck, at least for me.

ANYHEMI

Reaction score
The 2022 Limited 10th anniversary edition has a suede headliner as part of the package. I wish Ram would offer a carbon & suede package similar to Dodge with the TRX real carbon fiber trim and the suede headliner. 🤞🏾

JbVt

Reaction score
I'd buy this trim JUST for the console shifter. The rotary dial is the most unintuitive and dangerous thing they've ever put into a pickup truck. You have to train yourself to physically look at the knob every time you turn it, whereas a real shifter that has detents and positions can be learned by your brain.
I do like the looks of that console shifter but I don't think the rotary shifter is bad. I know I don't have to look at the shifter each time I move it. It only has 4 positions and you can feel the position change when shifting it. It really is no different to train your brain to know what gear is what just like a console shifter. Rotary shifter P, R, N, D. Console shifter P, R, N, D. One is just left and right vs. up and down. That console shifter looks like it is a straight line down and up, no detents from what I can see.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do like the looks of that console shifter but I don't think the rotary shifter is bad. I know I don't have to look at the shifter each time I move it. It only has 4 positions and you can feel the position change when shifting it. It really is no different to train your brain to know what gear is what just like a console shifter. Rotary shifter P, R, N, D. Console shifter P, R, N, D. One is just left and right vs. up and down. That console shifter looks like it is a straight line down and up, no detents from what I can see.

Completely agree! I’m actually a fan of the rotary shifter. I never have to look at the shifter. Park all the way to the left, reverse one click right, drive all the way to the right. Pretty simple.

And not once have I mistaken the shifter for the radio volume knob, or vice versa (people always seem to bring that up when talking about the dial shifter).

bravo1

Reaction score
I have this shifter system in my 2020 JGC 5.7L mated to the 8HP70 runs smooth as silk upshift and down shift, slide left for manual shifting...With the paddle shifter option, why have the side shift option that is shown with this shifter.So 3 ways to shift this transmission.Auto select, manual side select, paddle shift..

bravo1

Reaction score
Ram also needs to address the lack of power in the 2022 RAM Truck 1/2 lineup, they need to take the trailer tow package and offer the 1) a 392 with the option of 2 rear axle ratio's the 3:55 and the 3:92......GM's 6.2L now can be had in the lower trim level's of the GM trucks, and in the 2022 Ford will now have 2 motors in there line up the 5.0L and the 3.5L TT that will out perform the Ram 5.7L even with a 3:92 axle.....They are depending on an interior to sell the truck versus the performance the truck needs in the market place to compete better, if they what to grow there share.Putting the shifter on the center console was a start.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram also needs to address the lack of power in the 2022 RAM Truck 1/2 lineup, they need to take the trailer tow package and offer the 1) a 392 with the option of 2 rear axle ratio's the 3:55 and the 3:92......GM's 6.2L now can be had in the lower trim level's of the GM trucks, and in the 2022 Ford will now have 2 motors in there line up the 5.0L and the 3.5L TT that will out perform the Ram 5.7L even with a 3:92 axle.....They are depending on an interior to sell the truck versus the performance the truck needs in the market place to compete better, if they what to grow there share.Putting the shifter on the center console was a start.

The problem trickles down to 1500 because the 2500’s 6.4L has fallen behind the GM 6.6L and Ford 7.3

Ram needs the long rumored 7.0L for HD so the 6.4L can slide down to the 1500

GM sticks it’s 3.42 axle ratio with the 6.2L and has a small 24-gal tank. So it’s not ideal.

Ford and it’s twin turbocharged V6 just doesn’t appeal to everybody

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
1st off, this was an extremely hard paragraph to read. Proof reading is must with phones these days.

2nd, Putting the shifter on the console does not improve its marketability. It will just appeal to a small % of drivers. As for the engine sizes and this is just my understanding for the 1500, won’t matter because it’s the rear axle capability that limits towing capability of the 1500 truck. Thus the reason you don’t see any manufacturer offer a 5th wheel option on them and won’t warranty them if you modify for one. Heavier engine = less towing weight. Yes it’ll have more torque and you’ll be able to say “Look at me I have a bigger engine” but what good is it if you can only tow a 2000lb trailer?

Caballonegro

Reaction score
That is a nice package , I would of ordered my truck with the GT package, but yes we need that 6.4 and paddle shifters.

Dream Ram.....A street TRX, AWD, Hellcat motor, and without the offroad trx weight.

1622349370100.png

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd buy this trim JUST for the console shifter. The rotary dial is the most unintuitive and dangerous thing they've ever put into a pickup truck. You have to train yourself to physically look at the knob every time you turn it, whereas a real shifter that has detents and positions can be learned by your brain.
How exactly is it dangerous? The positions are the same for the dial shifter as a console shifter. Detwnt for each one. And the truck is smart enough to not let you shift when it would cause issues

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As for the engine sizes and this is just my understanding for the 1500, won’t matter because it’s the rear axle capability that limits towing capability of the 1500 truck.

Yes the rear axle is a limiting factor. Yet Ram has a stronger 256mm (10.0”) axle but is only offered on the 4x2 Quad Cab 5.7 eTorque configuration and everything else gets the smaller 235mm (9.25”) rear axle.

Thus the reason you don’t see any manufacturer offer a 5th wheel option on them and won’t warranty them if you modify for one.
Ford lists 5th wheel weight limits for the F-150 in its towing guide

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Yes the rear axle is a limiting factor. Yet Ram has a stronger 256mm (10.0”) axle but is only offered on the 4x2 Quad Cab 5.7 eTorque configuration and everything else gets the smaller 235mm (9.25”) rear axle.

Ford lists 5th wheel weight limits for the F-150 in its towing guide
Thanks, like I said it was just my limited understanding and didn’t think any other of the manufactures listed 5th wheel as a possibility. I am curious as to why Ram doesn’t allow or install the 10” axle on the upper trims/4x4s. Any thoughts?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am curious as to why Ram doesn’t allow or install the 10” axle on the upper trims/4x4s. Any thoughts?

I’d like to know too, I got crickets when asked about it ....

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/why-is-the-10-0”-256mm-rear-axle-restricted.30993/

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not gonna lie. I am waiting on my 21 rebel and I would have gotten the get package but one of the things I love about the ram is the center console set up. You do lose that with the shifter. I’m curious what the gt themed interior will look like

thedream829

Reaction score
I’m not gonna lie. I am waiting on my 21 rebel and I would have gotten the get package but one of the things I love about the ram is the center console set up. You do lose that with the shifter. I’m curious what the gt themed interior will look like

I thought I was the only one who liked the shift knob. I like a lot of the real estate, which is perfect as is. It's one of the reasons holding me back from a TRX. My truck is my daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread