5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 vs 5.3L Sierra

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hope the adaptive ride control isn’t like the “magnaride” that GM has/had. Something like $12-1400 per shock when it needs replacement? The tahoe yukon forum.com doesn’t have much good to say about it, and the “adaptive ride control” sounds even more complicated...
More MagnaRide delete questions (4 pages worth)

sergetexan

Reaction score
That’s the thing...I can find a 2020 ram with the 5.7 in the mid $30’s where the elevation is mid $40s. I just can’t get over the look of the elevation trim. Love it. Maybe I’ll get lucky and find what I want pop up used in the next few months and can snag one in the high 30s. I still need to test drive the ram
Seen a few Elevations at $11-12k off Msrp, all black, off road options and slick. Sits 1-2” higher than my Ram. Both 2 wheel drive, just sayin....

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think they just look higher as they have a taller more squared off front end. When I sat in a GMC it seemed lower as I was able to just step in and the Ram I have to hop up a bit.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
Not around here. $4500 off. GM rebates suck now.

Where are you seeing Elevations with 11-12K off?

Seen a few Elevations at $11-12k off Msrp, all black, off road options and slick. Sits 1-2” higher than my Ram. Both 2 wheel drive, just sayin....

BigD

Reaction score
The 5.3 is weak compared to the 5.7 Hemi. Once u test drive the Ram, u won't buy the Sierra. Those 40 horses make a huge difference! I average 19 mpg with a 50/50 mix of highway/city driving.

sergetexan

Reaction score
I think they just look higher as they have a taller more squared off front end. When I sat in a GMC it seemed lower as I was able to just step in and the Ram I have to hop up a bit.
No, measures three and sat side by side, perhaps the off road option and 60 profile bs 55 tires

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
The 5.3 is weak compared to the 5.7 Hemi. Once u test drive the Ram, u won't buy the Sierra. Those 40 horses make a huge difference! I average 19 mpg with a 50/50 mix of highway/city driving.

The 6.2 is a better comp to the 5.7 HEMI as it has 25 more HP vs. the 40 HP advantage the 5.7 has on the 5.3. The 6.2 is strong as is the 3.0 Duramax.

SzymiRam@2019

Reaction score
That’s the thing...I can find a 2020 ram with the 5.7 in the mid $30’s where the elevation is mid $40s. I just can’t get over the look of the elevation trim. Love it. Maybe I’ll get lucky and find what I want pop up used in the next few months and can snag one in the high 30s. I still need to test drive the ram
You need to test drive the Ram. I was in the same situation as you currently are, but my second choice was Ford F150. I test the Ford on Friday, and next day on Saturday I test the Ram and I bought the Ram same day. After 8 months of owning the Ram, I am in love with it. So basically you need a test drive with the Ram before you make the decision.

Fmrchvy

Reaction score
I came from a 2017 Silverado, with the 5.3, which is an almost anemic engine compared to the 5.7 Hemi. As far as interior, the Sierra doesn’t compare, even remotely. The Sierra, in my opinion, is drastically overpriced. GM has been having serious issues with their transmissions as well as driveline, research the vibration issue before buying a GM.
I’ve owned a Sierra and two Silverados, and I do like the looks of the Sierra...a lot. However, until GM gets their heads out of their asses with those cheap interiors, lackluster engine and overall poor build quality, I won’t buy another. The Ram is well ahead of them in the game right now. Ford is debuting a new F-150 this year, the current one is antiquated as far as interiors go. I’m not sure what the new one will be like, however, I doubt that it will compete with the Ram with regards to comfort and I wouldn’t purchase an ecoboost if I planned to keep it, they seem to have issues after about 80,000 miles.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
There are some issues with vibrations in the RAM as well. There are several threads about it.

I came from a 2017 Silverado, with the 5.3, which is an almost anemic engine compared to the 5.7 Hemi. As far as interior, the Sierra doesn’t compare, even remotely. The Sierra, in my opinion, is drastically overpriced. GM has been having serious issues with their transmissions as well as driveline, research the vibration issue before buying a GM.
I’ve owned a Sierra and two Silverados, and I do like the looks of the Sierra...a lot. However, until GM gets their heads out of their asses with those cheap interiors, lackluster engine and overall poor build quality, I won’t buy another. The Ram is well ahead of them in the game right now. Ford is debuting a new F-150 this year, the current one is antiquated as far as interiors go. I’m not sure what the new one will be like, however, I doubt that it will compete with the Ram with regards to comfort and I wouldn’t purchase an ecoboost if I planned to keep it, they seem to have issues after about 80,000 miles.

Cuppedup

Reaction score
Well, after comparing the price of both trucks (based off cars.com), and after comparing the price of losing 1-2 mpg going with the ram, financially it makes more sense going with the ram. I’ll save probably $10K purchasing the ram over the Sierra. Also, after calculating the fuel costs of each, even spending $1K more in fuel/year for the ram I’ll still be under what I’d spend for the Sierra. I’ll be test driving one this coming week hopefully.

Now, I’ve found some killer deals on new 20’ big horns on cars.com, for example $51K base price for $35K (assuming I meet all incentives etc), unfortunately it seems those prices are mostly on the East coast whereas I’m on the west coast and can’t seem to find anything lower than $39K (new of course).

If I actually pull the trigger on the ram, I’ll be looking for a crew cab standard box, 4x4, center console and it has to have color matched bumpers....don’t like chrome.

Is there any reason to shy away from a used ‘19 if its the right price?

BigD

Reaction score
The 6.2 is a better comp to the 5.7 HEMI as it has 25 more HP vs. the 40 HP advantage the 5.7 has on the 5.3. The 6.2 is strong as is the 3.0 Duramax.
I've never drove the 6.2 but I always wanted to. Problem is u have to buy a top of the line trim to get that motor. I like that with Ram a $30k Tradesman has the same motor & tranny as a $70k Limited!

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, after comparing the price of both trucks (based off cars.com), and after comparing the price of losing 1-2 mpg going with the ram, financially it makes more sense going with the ram. I’ll save probably $10K purchasing the ram over the Sierra. Also, after calculating the fuel costs of each, even spending $1K more in fuel/year for the ram I’ll still be under what I’d spend for the Sierra. I’ll be test driving one this coming week hopefully.

Now, I’ve found some killer deals on new 20’ big horns on cars.com, for example $51K base price for $35K (assuming I meet all incentives etc), unfortunately it seems those prices are mostly on the East coast whereas I’m on the west coast and can’t seem to find anything lower than $39K (new of course).

If I actually pull the trigger on the ram, I’ll be looking for a crew cab standard box, 4x4, center console and it has to have color matched bumpers....don’t like chrome.

Is there any reason to shy away from a used ‘19 if its the right price?

The recalls will have already been done. You can see some people talking about problems and things that were on the 19s that aren't experienced as much with the 20s. If you can find a good deal on one I don't think it'd be a bad idea. Just remember it is the first yr of a brand new truck so things will get ironed out as the years roll on.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Agree, the earlier ecoboost engines had leaking oil pans, timing chain issues (3.5 mostly) and needed plugs way early, like 30-40K. Here’s an example:
(post quote from the expeditionforum.com): “Just changed the plugs on my 2017 Ecoboost and couldn't believe at only 40k miles the gaps had eroded 5-7 thousandths and plugs were really carboned up.
Didn't bother going to the dealer to try and get warranty coverage as it was only $42 and 20 minutes time to install the Motorcraft Iridium OE replacements.
Can't believe how much better it idles now and bet my mileage goes back up again. From now on I'm replacing these iridium plugs every 30-40k miles.“
End of quoted post.

The Makulo YT Ford tech has 446K subs and a lot of videos on Ford drivetrains, with virtually nothing about the 2.7 (evidently it’s doing ok).

Anyway, I realize that this isn’t an F150 forum, but it’s really a good motor. The hemi has a lot more history and isn’t full of fancy/expensive tech to break (no twin-turbo) but many owners have an extended factory warranty (just like RAM owners) so...

Gunny1213

Reaction score
When I was doing my research I narrowed my choices to the Silverado or the Ram 1500 and it came down to Chevy would not deal or budge. You definitely get more for your money with Ram
and I love the look and how it drives. 100 % satisfied customer.

ktl5005

Reaction score
If mostly all you care about is mpg, don’t buy the hemi. There are other choices, the V6, the ecodiesel but the hemi, nope.

I get pretty good mileage with my 3.21 but it’s a heavy 4x Ltd with stock street Goodyear tires and no lift, the best city I can do is 17-18.
That’s more than my V6 grand Cherokee trail hawk was getting. Currently getting about 15 miles per gallon on my 2019 Limited with 3.21 Geer’s which is about what my grand Cherokee was getting so at this point I’m happy. Didn’t buy a ram for gas mileage

BigD

Reaction score
When I was doing my research I narrowed my choices to the Silverado or the Ram 1500 and it came down to Chevy would not deal or budge. You definitely get more for your money with Ram
and I love the look and how it drives. 100 % satisfied customer.
U like the look of those new Silverados ? I think they are terrible. Sierra's look good, if u like that squared off very masculine look. Rams are masculine & sexy at the same time. The perfect blend. I hate the stacked lights on the Fords.

crazymjb

Reaction score
I have zero brand loyalty. The Ram was simply the best driving and most comfortable of the bunch. I actually wanted to like the Ford, especially living in the rust belt.

Don't have enough mileage to answer honestly about fuel economy... but if you are talking about a lift and wheels and tires, just forget it. My stock wrangler rubicon with 4.10s and a V6 does worse than people are getting with the ram.

Gunny1213

Reaction score
U like the look of those new Silverados ? I think they are terrible. Sierra's look good, if u like that squared off very masculine look. Rams are masculine & sexy at the same time. The perfect blend. I hate the stacked lights on the Fords.
I was looking at the Silverado 2500 style but yes I agree the Ram does look masculine and sexy at the same time. I have been watching them for a long time and finally pulled the plug and purchased mine April 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread