5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 vs 5.3L Sierra

Cuppedup

Reaction score
I’ve narrowed by truck choices down between the new ram 1500 big horn with the 5.7 or the Sierra elevation with the 5.3. I test drove the Sierra and loved it, and it seemed to get good mpg on the dash. I haven’t had the chance to drive the ram. I’m mainly concerned with mpg...it seems like the ram is all over the board with what I’ve seen for mpg which leads me to wanting the Sierra. I love the look of the Sierra more than the ram, but I like the rams interior better. I could get the ram for probably 10K cheaper too....how do these compare with mpg? I’ll be doing a small (2”) lift and 33” all terrain. What do you guys think ?

Bighorned

Reaction score
With my rebel rims and duratracs im getting 16.5 city. I was a chevy guy coming from a 16 Silverado 5.3. Great motor, trans left some to be desired though. As far as interior quality, build and engine trans combo im very happy with my Ram. The new GM interiors just don't do it for me. My Silverado I used to get 15 if I baby it.

Cuppedup

Reaction score
Rebel 16 city? That seems pretty good. How about highway and combined?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I say if you like the Sierra, get what you like. Sadly as much as I love my Ram if I needed to purchase based upon gas mileage, this would not be in my driveway lol. Now with that being said since I spend sooo much of my time inside, I definitely give the Ram the nod over that Sierra.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
If mostly all you care about is mpg, don’t buy the hemi. There are other choices, the V6, the ecodiesel but the hemi, nope.

I get pretty good mileage with my 3.21 but it’s a heavy 4x Ltd with stock street Goodyear tires and no lift, the best city I can do is 17-18.

Cuppedup

Reaction score
17-18 city is better than what I thought it was going to be...but with AT tires and a small lift/left, that’ll go down to 13-14 REAL QUICK

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It strikes me as kind of amusing whenever someone buying a full-size truck is so concerned with fuel economy. Most people who buy a truck are less concerned about fuel economy and more concerned about hauling, towing, or off-road capability. But you didn't say what you needed a truck for. Are you going to be towing or hauling with it, or do you just want to have the extra room you get with a full-size truck? Maybe you want it for off-road use? If fuel economy is your biggest concern, is it because you want to save on fuel costs, or because you're being environmentally responsible?

NHRoadking

Reaction score
Both are nice trucks. I like the Hemi better than the 5.3, the Ram's looks, and the Ram's interior. I also find the Chevy's seats to be too narrow and uncomfortable.

The paint quality is better o the Chevy and the rear bumpers have that nice step feature. Quality and reliability probably a bit better than the Ram too.

Buy whichever you like and you will be happy.

Last edited:

Cuppedup

Reaction score
It strikes me as kind of amusing whenever someone buying a full-size truck is so concerned with fuel economy. Most people who buy a truck are less concerned about fuel economy and more concerned about hauling, towing, or off-road capability. But you didn't say what you needed a truck for. Are you going to be towing or hauling with it, or do you just want to have the extra room you get with a full-size truck? Maybe you want it for off-road use? If fuel economy is your biggest concern, is it because you want to save on fuel costs, or because you're being environmentally responsible?

I’ll be using the truck as my daily driver and a future 20ish foot travel trailer and to and for hunting. So with all the different trucks out there, you can easily factor in mpg...take the tundra for example. Sure it can fit my needs as being a truck, but I can get 50% better mpg going with a different full size.

MurdaRam

Reaction score
My 19 Ram 1500 crew cab does 12mpg city and 17 hwy cruising at 75 mph. 5.7 Hemi, non etorque, 3.92, anti spin and 4x4. Not the greatest mpg but the Hemi and 8 speed are well worth it. Definitely has more grunt than the 5.3L

Smerberj

Reaction score
I wanted a Sierra too but the dealership was not budging at all, so I went to RAM and got a fully packaged crewcab Bighorn (Minus Hemi & 4x4) for the same price as an extended cab Sierra work truck. The price was too good to pass up and I've driven Durango's with the 3.6 and was very impressed with the power and economy. Either way, both trucks are good trucks, the 5.3 is a legendary engine, I'd honestly consider it over the Hemi due to maintenance. (In my experience it is much easier to work on the Vortec than the Hemi's)

Sv250

Reaction score
5.3 is also legendary for broken cam shafts. My dads 00 went 300k no issues. The 15 65k done. Dealership said its so common there should be a recall. Not sure what changed in the cam.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted a Sierra too but the dealership was not budging at all, so I went to RAM and got a fully packaged crewcab Bighorn (Minus Hemi & 4x4) for the same price as an extended cab Sierra work truck. The price was too good to pass up and I've driven Durango's with the 3.6 and was very impressed with the power and economy. Either way, both trucks are good trucks, the 5.3 is a legendary engine, I'd honestly consider it over the Hemi due to maintenance. (In my experience it is much easier to work on the Vortec than the Hemi's)
5.3 is also legendary for broken cam shafts. My dads 00 went 300k no issues. The 15 65k done. Dealership said its so common there should be a recall. Not sure what changed in the cam.
I'd say the Chevy 5.7 is a legendary engine. The 5.3 is adequate, but not legendary in any way.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
you will HATE the cylinder deactivation (AFM) on the Chevy/GMC trucks. At least with the RAM (MDS), you can turn it off.

About the same price for these trucks.
Sierra Elevation 4x4 5.3L DOUBLE CAB vs RAM 1500 Hemi CREW CAB 4x4 Night Edition.

But the Ram was about 38000 after all discounts and the SIERRA was 42,000 after all discounts

Ram dealers always seem to have room to move. Chevy dealer will not.

Got a CREW CAB loaded Big Horn for 4,000 LESS than the Sierra's DOUBLE CAB.

Cuppedup

Reaction score
That’s the thing...I can find a 2020 ram with the 5.7 in the mid $30’s where the elevation is mid $40s. I just can’t get over the look of the elevation trim. Love it. Maybe I’ll get lucky and find what I want pop up used in the next few months and can snag one in the high 30s. I still need to test drive the ram

Users who are viewing this thread