5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 vs 5.3L Sierra

Cuppedup

Reaction score
I have zero brand loyalty. The Ram was simply the best driving and most comfortable of the bunch. I actually wanted to like the Ford, especially living in the rust belt.

Don't have enough mileage to answer honestly about fuel economy... but if you are talking about a lift and wheels and tires, just forget it. My stock wrangler rubicon with 4.10s and a V6 does worse than people are getting with the ram.

By “lift and bigger tires”, I mean maybe a 2” level and 33” tires, slightly bigger than stock.

BigD

Reaction score
I was looking at the Silverado 2500 style but yes I agree the Ram does look masculine and sexy at the same time. I have been watching them for a long time and finally pulled the plug and purchased mine April 2020.
I bought mine last month also. Right at the height of the Covid19 crisis when everyone was not working & worried about everything. Glad I pulled the trigger when I did, because I haven't seen deals that great since then. Plus trade in values are plummeting because their is a huge backlog of available used vehicles at auctions sitting there ready to be shipped to dealerships.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
By “lift and bigger tires”, I mean maybe a 2” level and 33” tires, slightly bigger than stock.
I haven’t leveled or lifted my Ram and I don’t intend to. But I did swap the stock tires for 285/60/20 Ridge Grapplers for a more beefy look. The ride didn’t really change and just a little bit of increased road noise which isn’t bad at all. But I did lose about 1 to 1.5 MPG. But I like the beefier look.

Attachments

• 632B0848-4C1E-494A-BA3E-222569FE4A48.jpeg
    632B0848-4C1E-494A-BA3E-222569FE4A48.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 65F0EB39-A4ED-4B48-B7FC-8E3AADF687C6.jpeg
    65F0EB39-A4ED-4B48-B7FC-8E3AADF687C6.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 41

Cuppedup

Reaction score
I also need a locking diff and all the big discounted rams I’ve found do not have it of course. I’m starting to hate car shopping

Granite2WD

Reaction score
If y
Having owned two previous Rams (2009 4x2 Laramie and 2014 4x4 Laramie Longhorn), I was partial to Ram when my current shopping experience started. I will have to say I have enjoyed reading the posts but I thought I would add my comments to this as I too am currently deciding between the Ram and the Sierra and my aspects are different than the OP because I'm looking at a different trim level.

Ram Limited: $71,555 MSRP (4x4, eTorque, Anti-Spin, 3.92, 33-gallon, Limited Level-1, Body-Color Group, Bed Utility Group, 22s, MFT, RamBox, DualPane, Trailer Brake)
Ram rebates: $1500 or 0.9/84mo or 0.0/72mo

Sierra AT4: $66,940 (4x4, 3.0L Duramax Diesel, AT4 CarbonPro Package, Technology Package, AT4 Premium Package, AT4 Preferred Package, Driver Alert I Package, Driver Alert II Package, Cargo Convenience Package, 20" Carbon Grey Wheels and Sunroof)

Sierra Denali: $72,235 (4x4, 3.0L Duramax Diesel, Denali CarbonPro which includes all AT4 packages, GMC Protection Package)

Looking at this I'm sure it seems like an odd comparison but here's how I arrived at these final two contenders. For Ram, I had to immediately rule out the EcoDiesel because it costs $3K more and with Diesel in the US averaging between 40-60 cents more per gallon than unleaded, I'll never break even. I did tons of analysis varying mileage, and increasing gas costs but it won't happen so absolutely zero point and that doesn't even take into account the additional maintenance (DEF, fuel filter changes, more expensive oil changes, etc.). That meant for Ram, I was going to go with the eTorque.

For GMC, it's a no brainer to choose the Duramax. The 5.3L felt underwhelming in the Sierra as I test drove the 5.3L, 6.2L and the 3.0 Duramax. The upgrade cost for the 6.2L V8 and the 3.0L Duramax is the same ($2,495 on the AT4) but the 6.2L has an EPA combined rating of 17 and requires premium gas whereas the 3.0L Duramax has an EPA combined rating of 24. Because the upgrade cost is the same, I'm saving gas immediately even at these low gas prices ($1.31 for unleaded here and $1.86 for diesel). The 6.2L and 3.0L Duramax both really move and the Duramax didn't have the turbo lag that the EcoDiesel had. The 6.2L was a touch faster off the line but not a huge difference at all.

The reason I didn't use a Denali is (I did test drive a Denali as well) because the Denali would cost $5,295 and the only difference is the adaptive ride suspension that the AT4 doesn't have, honeycomb chrome grill, chrome chin, chrome tow hooks (vs. red tow hooks on AT4), chrome window surround trim, power running boards and 22" wheels. That's it. I couldn't see spending that much more for just those differences. The AT4 gets you a factory 2" Lift, bigger tires, still get 20" wheels, offroad upgraded suspension, contrast brown stitching interior with Kalahari accents (brown) in the seats, etc.

As far as ride is compared, the Denali, AT4 and Ram with air suspension were all smooth trucks. I drove them on the highway, side streets, speed bumps, and honestly couldn't decipher a really noticeable difference as that is what I was concerned with in particular with the AT4. The CarbonPro is really nice because it's a carbon fiber bed that is indestructible and weights 60+lbs less increasing payload, towing and of course reducing weight so that should help with fuel economy.

Now for real world pricing. The best deal I have seen on a Limited is Koon's 15.5% off MSRP but within driving distance of me (500 miles or less) I've seen about 12.58%. That means a Limited stickering at $71,555 would cost me $62,555 BEFORE rebates or financing. AT4s are hard to find but I have a supplier pricing code that gurantees invoice right now if I wanted to pull the trigger at $62,365.11 BEFORE $7500 in rebates or 0.0/84mo. If I went rebates, the Ram would cost me $60,055 before TT&L and the AT4 would cost me $54,865.11 before TT&L. Obviously if I chose financing the AT4 would be a little over $30/mo cheaper as well and I wouldn't get rebates.

Comparisons: The Ram interior is absolutely better. The Sierra's is better IMO than Tundra, Ford and Titan but Ram is in a class by itself. The Ram would get me a better interior, RamBoxes, pano, 22s, 12” screen. The AT4 would get me a lift, heads-up display, way more cameras including bedview and rearview mirror, diesel, save gas, better looking on the outside, GMCs tailgate with soundsystem included in the tailgate, etc. As you can see, the list of equipment advantages of the Sierra AT4 exceed the Ram Limited but that interior and those ramboxes..haha. I've been following the problems plauging the Ram and I know forums always magnify the problems potentially but I was lucky in that my two Rams I owned (total of little over 130,000 miles) I never saw any issues. I don't know how reliabiltly is with GMC Sierra's. Anyway, I'll conclude my novel and comparison but I'm trying to decide as well.
If you read through the price paid thread it's not too rare to find Limiteds going for 25 to 30% off.

Maybe 15% for a factory order but off an in-stock vehicle Limiteds have a lot of profit margin.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
If y
If you read through the price paid thread it's not too rare to find Limiteds going for 25 to 30% off.

Maybe 15% for a factory order but off an in-stock vehicle Limiteds have a lot of profit margin.

I beg to differ. The big 20% and up deals are on the Big Horns/Lone Stars. Limiteds are going for 5-12% off before rebates and in TX with rebates at $1500 you’re looking at 7-14% so nowhere near 20% plus. Show me where you’ve found that.

Fmrchvy

Reaction score
I was told Big Horns got the biggest discounts so that’s what I was dealing on when I bought my Laramie in Sep last year, I got a Laramie at a 30% discount. I was shocked and felt like I robbed the place. If you’re patient, you’ll find a decent deal. The only issue is that coronavirus has really changed the game, reducing production, so the law of supply/demand may trump all previous experience for a while.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I get 18.5MPG combined with 2.5" lvl kit... can easily get 22 on the highway going 70mph

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
If y

I have not seen anything close to 20-30% off Limiteds BEFORE rebates or after.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I beg to differ. The big 20% and up deals are on the Big Horns/Lone Stars. Limiteds are going for 5-12% off before rebates and in TX with rebates at $1500 you’re looking at 7-14% so nowhere near 20% plus. Show me where you’ve found that.
Deals haven't been as good during the pandemic but as MSRP goes up, so does the profit margin. Why do you think Limiteds would have less room to negotiate than a cheaper model?
Settling for 1,500 in rebates on a 70k American truck is not a good buy.
I like these trucks, but the Limiteds are not worth twice as much as a Tradesman with the same engine, transmission, and chassis.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Deals haven't been as good during the pandemic but as MSRP goes up, so does the profit margin. Why do you think Limiteds would have less room to negotiate than a cheaper model?
I like these trucks, but the Limiteds are not worth twice as much as a Tradesman with the same engine, transmission, and chassis.
This is the thread I was referring to:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I also need a locking diff and all the big discounted rams I’ve found do not have it of course. I’m starting to hate car shopping
That’s a good point. The most heavily discounted ones seem to be the plain ol’ kind and they rarely order elockers, the bigger tank, ORG, nothing you’d really want.
If you post up your list of desired features, sometimes bored (due to being off-work) members like me might look around for you.

Kevinch

Reaction score
I’ve narrowed by truck choices down between the new ram 1500 big horn with the 5.7 or the Sierra elevation with the 5.3.

I just made this decision a few weeks ago - although I was looking at a Silverado LTZ - & decided to go with the RAM. The Chevy is a nice truck. As far as looks are concerned, I'm an old school chrome guy (my Harley is dripping in it) & compared to my RAM with the Sport package I liked the look of the chrome front end on the Silverado more than that of my RAM. I drove them both; overall the Dodge would get the nod for overall comfort & drivability but the Chevy wasn't bad at all. The Silverado I drove had the feature where the engine shuts off when stopped at a traffic signal or in traffic & it worked seamlessly - my RAM Hemi doesn't do that. It also had the dual cameras in the back that have the ability to "see through" a trailer when towing which is cool. Overall though, the RAM interior is a more friendly place (IMO) to spend time. As far as the engines & drivetrains, as I didn't drive them back-to-back I can't really say (the Chevy was the 5.3L).

What really turned it for me though was the deal I was able to score on the RAM. The saleswoman I had at Chevy was great & I really wanted to buy a truck from her. But she couldn't come anywhere close to the deal I was getting from Dodge. I bought a truck with a window sticker price thousands of dollars more for thousands of dollars less. I'm not a person that will run to another deal for a few hundred dollars - this was different, it was a huge sum of money.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just made this decision a few weeks ago - although I was looking at a Silverado LTZ - & decided to go with the RAM. The Chevy is a nice truck. As far as looks are concerned, I'm an old school chrome guy (my Harley is dripping in it) & compared to my RAM with the Sport package I liked the look of the chrome front end on the Silverado more than that of my RAM. I drove them both; overall the Dodge would get the nod for overall comfort & drivability but the Chevy wasn't bad at all. The Silverado I drove had the feature where the engine shuts off when stopped at a traffic signal or in traffic & it worked seamlessly - my RAM Hemi doesn't do that. It also had the dual cameras in the back that have the ability to "see through" a trailer when towing which is cool. Overall though, the RAM interior is a more friendly place (IMO) to spend time. As far as the engines & drivetrains, as I didn't drive them back-to-back I can't really say (the Chevy was the 5.3L).

What really turned it for me though was the deal I was able to score on the RAM. The saleswoman I had at Chevy was great & I really wanted to buy a truck from her. But she couldn't come anywhere close to the deal I was getting from Dodge. I bought a truck with a window sticker price thousands of dollars more for thousands of dollars less. I'm not a person that will run to another deal for a few hundred dollars - this was different, it was a huge sum of money.
Your experience seems to be more representative of most brand switching owners. We (me among them) were not primarily considering RAM (this is my first Dodge/Fiat/RAM product since driving a K car in the early 80’s...) however the news of their redesign (automotive press) and their attractive pricing (even before last June) made it a must compare thing. I was a Ferd owner and really preferred their trucks (I thought) but again the redesign features, ride and price were the reasons to switch.

Now we won’t talk resale as the usually the cheaper it is to buy, the less it will be worth down the road. That’s a bridge some owners will have to cross in the next couple of years and likely they won’t be happy. Kinda’ like buying a Kia vehicle, cheap at first and dismal value later... Hope not however...

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score

I have read through that thread thoroughly but my point is that you aren't getting a Limited anywhere near 20-30% off. Yes $1500 rebates is terrible but when I started looking in March, the rebates were $4500 when they were offering 0% for 84 or the rebates. Now it's 0.9% for 84, 0.0% for 72 or $1500 in rebates (not counting the $500 Chrysler Capital incentive).

I never said Limiteds would have less room to negotiate but what I am saying is that dealers aren't discounting Limiteds more than about $9000 from sticker (dealer discount). The most I have seen is Koons (15.5% off MSRP). On a loaded Limited in the $71,500 MSRP range, that translates to $11,082.5 off MSRP. Even if you combine the $1500 in rebates (TX), you're still only at 17.6%. In order to get even 20% off a Limited, you'd need another $1717.50 off (total of $14,300 off) and to get 30%, a total of $21,450. I would LOVE to see where ANYONE is getting 20-30% off right now or even recently in the past month.

airgas1998

Reaction score
17-18 city is better than what I thought it was going to be...but with AT tires and a small lift/left, that’ll go down to 13-14 REAL QUICK
I only get 13 city all day long...no question the 5.3 will get better numbers it always had. now the interior comparo where I spend my time nothing comes close to the ram..

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
How is this?

My understanding is that anti-spin is automatic based on detected slippage so no user input required...fast acting response time in milliseconds. E-locker (manual in this case) required the user to turn it on in advance which won’t help hitting water, slick spot etc. If you know you’re in rough terrain etc. you can lock it in advance but not on the fly.

Cuppedup

Reaction score
This would be for the mud and would prefer to have it locked before I get into trouble...

Do the standard 4x4 big horns have the limited slip or is that another package?

Users who are viewing this thread