5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 heads up display

ramfan22

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a 22 ecodiesel in a Laramie with pretty much every option that I could get including the heads up display. Ever since I got the truck, I have noticed a slight grinding/ticking noise on startup coming from the heads up display. I am able to replicate the tick when I adjust the height of the display and I can tell that it is coming from the mechanism that flips the mirror into place for the display. I’m not sure if anyone else has experienced this, or if I should take it to the dealer while I am still under warranty. I saw somewhere that the windshield would have to be replaced also to access it, so I was trying to avoid that process. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,
Tim.

flyjets

Reaction score
I have the display as well there are no noises at anytime from the display.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'd wish they could pull the windshield. They have to yank out the entire dashboard. It's crazy, but like par for the course for anything involving the cluster, wiring or AC in these trucks.

1ramrunner

Reaction score
How do you like it? Thinking about getting it with my factory order.
Does it show turn by turn with Waze?
Is the rear view mirror from the back camera?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you like it? Thinking about getting it with my factory order.
Does it show turn by turn with Waze?
Is the rear view mirror from the back camera?

I got my '21 about a month ago. It has the HUD.

To me, it's a novelty and I probably would not order it on my next truck. $1000 to see the same info that I can see by just looking slightly further down? Meh. I bought my '21 used and it has it, so it wasn't like I got choose having it or not.

It does not show turn-by-turn with Waze. It only shows turns from the factory nav.

The rear view mirror is from a camera mounted in the CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Light - i.e. the 3rd brake light at the top center of the back of the cab). It took a week or so to get used to that, but now I kinda like it. The rear view is not obstructed by anything or anyone in the back seat, and it gives a wider view of what's behind you. But, if you put a camper shell on, or anything tall in the front center of the bed, it won't show you anything.

flyjets

Reaction score
The HUD offers directions and up to 4 total functions. No rear camera or front in HUD.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm now using Android Auto and, thus, Google Maps for my nav, so the HUD wasn't even useful to me anymore for showing me upcoming turns. I turned the HUD completely off on Friday and drove about 1300 miles over the weekend. Never missed the HUD.

1ramrunner

Reaction score
Interesting information, I always wanted this option, but now I'm not sure it's worth it. The other option I was wanting was the Advance Safety Group, but I'm not so sure about that either.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting information, I always wanted this option, but now I'm not sure it's worth it. The other option I was wanting was the Advance Safety Group, but I'm not so sure about that either.

ASG includes Adaptive Cruise Control. I will never buy another vehicle that doesn't have that.

Also, FWIW, ACC is required if you ever wanted to install a Comma with OpenPilot to let it autopilot your truck.

I installed a Comma in mine about 3 weeks ago and having autopilot is just AWESOME. But, like I said, you have to have the ASG for the Comma to be able to work.

Even without a Comma for autopilot, I personally will not buy anything without Adaptive Cruise. You can still use regular Cruise instead, if you want, but ACC is SO nice for so many situations!

Users who are viewing this thread