5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rain Sensing Wipers (Not equipped but have the part)

-RotorDemon-

Reaction score
Only thing I have gotten is a "Service rain sensing wipers" pop up on the EVIC and a DTC Showing no response from rain sensor. As I mentioned there are actually now 2 part numbers for the "rain sensor"
68298334AA <- This only shows with sales codes [HAF] [JHC]
and
68298468AA <- This is applicable to my VIN [HAF]

HAF=Air Cond ATC w/Dual Zone Control
JHC=Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers

Jcalton

Reaction score
Only thing I have gotten is a "Service rain sensing wipers" pop up on the EVIC and a DTC Showing no response from rain sensor. As I mentioned there are actually now 2 part numbers for the "rain sensor"
68298334AA <- This only shows with sales codes [HAF] [JHC]
and
68298468AA <- This is applicable to my VIN [HAF]

HAF=Air Cond ATC w/Dual Zone Control
JHC=Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers

Have you tried getting the JAC coded sensor and see if the rain sense works? I'm thinking about picking one up from the dealer tomorrow and giving it a try.

-RotorDemon-

Reaction score
Have you tried getting the JAC coded sensor and see if the rain sense works? I'm thinking about picking one up from the dealer tomorrow and giving it a try.

JAC is a sales code that needs to be added to the vehicle. At work I cannot find someone who could add the code to the VIN and apply it to the vehicle since it's "not" an acessory option but I will give it a shot since I got a cracked windshield now and see if they can modify it due to a PNA "Part Not Available"

Jcalton

Reaction score
Understandable. I'm thinking of picking up the sensor and trying to activate the rain sense via alfaobd. If I decide to get the sensor I'll update here on if it works.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jcalton

Reaction score
Ok, so had a chance to install the new sensor today.

Part number I bought was 68298334AA.

Enabled the following:
VehConfig 2-Rain Sensor Present
CustSetMenu 1-Rain sensitive wipers CSM

Tested with a squirt bottle and....

I now have rain sensing wipers!

So to confirm, if you have auto climate control and not rain sense, the sensor located under mirror shroud is a humidity sensor only to tell the truck when to turn on defrost.

The part number above is the rain sensor and humidity sensor in one. No extra wiring necessary, plug and play.

snj1013

Reaction score

Enabled the following:

So to confirm, if you have auto climate control and not rain sense, the sensor located under mirror shroud is a humidity sensor only to tell the truck when to turn on defrost.

The part number above is the rain sensor and humidity sensor in one. No extra wiring necessary, plug and play.

My 1500 doesn’t have climate control. Would I be able to add the rain sensor?

Jcalton

Reaction score
That I'm not sure. It would likely be a much more involved project.

The windshield is likely different. On models with auto climate the frit has a clear spot to the right of the mirror (to the left and slightly below if looking from outside). Without that clear spot you'd have to mount the sensor outside of the frit, which would mean the mirror shroud wouldn't cover it. So you'd either have to leave the sensor exposed or figure out a way to hide it/make it presentable. The sensor does have to be at a level that the wipers would contact so once the wipers did their job it would turn off.

Aside from the sensor mount itself, you'd need the harness and plug there to plug the sensor in. I didnt pay close attention but I believe the 3 wire plug comes off the plug for the auto dim.

There is a write up on how to add the appropriate harness for 4th gens which is likely very similar but I cant say for sure. If no harness is available at the mirror already you would most likely have to drop the front half of the headliner to add in what you need. And of course would need to source/make the harness.

Once all that is done... I still couldn't guarantee that the truck would have everything else necessary for it to work. I dont know if it talks through another module that would only be present on a truck with the auto climate.

moparleo51

Reaction score
How do you tell if you have climate control???

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Enabled the following:

Awesome!!!!!!

moparleo51

Reaction score
Is this what your talking about on the outside mirror shroud?
c71b2fca943e7519818c0340a8c3bd54.jpg

moparleo51

Reaction score
So if I have climate control all I need is that part you posted. And a change the settings in the computer? I dont want to go to the dealer to activate it so what do I need to do this? I've heard of the allfod,but due I need so.e kinda gateway bypass,if so which one would you suggest? Thanks.

Jcalton

Reaction score
Is this what your talking about on the outside mirror shroud?
c71b2fca943e7519818c0340a8c3bd54.jpg

Yes. That circle is the humidity sensor. That would be replaced with the rain/humidity sensor combo. It looks exactly the same but is a few bucks more than the standalone humidity sensor.

Jcalton

Reaction score
How do you tell if you have climate control???

I'm assuming the humidity sensor would only be present if you have auto climate because the system uses it to know when defrost is needed.

I may be wrong there.

But if you have dual zone climate you should have that sensor. I guess easiest way to tell is if where your climate controls are you have a "Auto" button you should be good to go.

But if the humidity sensor is present and you do not have the auto climate.. I'd be interested if replacing the sensor would still be all that is needed.

Jcalton

Reaction score
Auto high beams next?
I'd like to. I believe someone else has done it already. Just have to replace the mirror with one that has the camera on the back. But those are expensive (almost $700) and I haven't found a used one yet. I'd like to see if I could find just the camera and what would be needed to get it working.

moparleo51

Reaction score
How easy is it to take of the cover ? Do you just pull it out where there's a cubby hole to grab it by? Thinks

Jcalton

Reaction score
How easy is it to take of the cover ? Do you just pull it out where there's a cubby hole to grab it by? Thinks

Where the cover meets the wire shroud that runs to the headliner there is a plastic clip on each side. I stuck a little screwdriver in to pry the larger cover piece up away from the shroud while wiggling the shroud a little bit. Then did the same on the other side. Once both clips are disengaged you can pull the shroud down from the top at the headliner. It should just slide out at that point.

For the cover, there are two clips that hold it onto the mirror. I rotated the cover clockwise a little while pulling the side outwards. Then wiggled the other side to get it off.

Its not hard, the only piece that would be prone to breaking is the clips on the shroud in the first part.

Takes a couple minutes of messing with it to get it off.

Jcalton

Reaction score
I'd like to. I believe someone else has done it already. Just have to replace the mirror with one that has the camera on the back. But those are expensive (almost $700) and I haven't found a used one yet. I'd like to see if I could find just the camera and what would be needed to get it working.

I just checked... supposedly its interchangeable with down to 2014 models.

Is there anyone on the forums that could confirm that? If so a junkyard near me has one for 100 bucks.

moparleo51

Reaction score
okay so i need the new sensor, where do i get the other things to activate this besides the dealer? thanks

Jcalton

Reaction score
okay so i need the new sensor, where do i get the other things to activate this besides the dealer? thanks
Alfaobd is an app for windows or android. Alfaobd.com . It is $49 for android, 49 Euro for pc($54 usd).

The security gateway bypass you can get from infotainment.com or z automotive.

Infotainment $49 + shipping:

ZAuto $69 + shipping:

Then you'll need a compatible obd2 scanner. I've seen some users say the bafx 3127 works well, its about $23 on amazon.

The developer that maintains alfaobd recommends the obdlink mx or mx+. They are $59 and $99 respectively on amazon. The mx is bluetooth, the mx+ is wifi. Mx+ works on iPhones, android and windows while the MX only works with android and windows. You could use the mx+ with other obd2 software on iPhone but the alfaobd app only works with android or windows.

It may seem like a lot just to add the rain sensor but if you may want to add anything else in the future it comes in handy. And unless a dealer is willing and can add the rain sensor sales code to your truck it is currently the ONLY way to do it. And if the dealer could add the code they would likely charge $100+ to program it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread