5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions/help on powered running board install

tuner1129

Reaction score
So after the dealer said it would take 8hrs labor, I decided to doit myself. I was lucky to find these because no one else has them. It took me 3 hrs but everthing works as it should. Do I need to go to the dealer and add the sales code to my vin? Do these oem running boards tend to sag a slight in the rear or is there a way to align them better? They fully work with no problem once I reconnected the negative terminal.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I read on here that someone else added them without getting their computer flashed by the dealer and the boards worked fine, although I'm not sure if the option to deploy them from the uconnect screen will be there unless you get the dealer to flash it.

tuner1129

Reaction score
I read on here that someone else added them without getting their computer flashed by the dealer and the boards worked fine, although I'm not sure if the option to deploy them from the uconnect screen will be there unless you get the dealer to flash it.
Thanks, I'm going to just have it flashed so it will show up in the display

Macinsac

Reaction score
I have a Ram on order. It is the 8.4 without nav. I am thinking about getting the power steps. Great to know they work by simply plugging them in to the truck harness. I would be curious to know if they will show up on the 8.4 without nav. Please keep us posted after you have dealer flash your unit.

tuner1129

Reaction score
I have a Ram on order. It is the 8.4 without nav. I am thinking about getting the power steps. Great to know they work by simply plugging them in to the truck harness. I would be curious to know if they will show up on the 8.4 without nav. Please keep us posted after you have dealer flash your unit.
I called the dealer and they are surprised they work as theh should. The flashing will basicly just add that the truck came with powered running boards instead of just having them as a aftermarket feature. As far it showing up in the apps all 3 dealers I called had no clue, but I'm having it flashed next week and ill confirm if it shows up or not.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Hopefully ram doesn’t find this thread, they’ll update their systems to not allow “plug and play” in a heart beat so that everyone has to get overcharged for a simple flash. Lol

tuner1129

Reaction score
Hopefully ram doesn’t find this thread, they’ll update their systems to not allow “plug and play” in a heart beat so that everyone has to get overcharged for a simple flash. Lol
they already overcharge us with the flash lol they quoted me 1 hour which tech told me it takes about 30 mins lol but saved a ton on doing it myself so I cant complain. I hope it encourages others to doit them selfs, and save for others mods

JNB

Reaction score
they already overcharge us with the flash lol they quoted me 1 hour which tech told me it takes about 30 mins lol but saved a ton on doing it myself so I cant complain. I hope it encourages others to doit them selfs, and save for others mods

Do these plug into the OBD II port, or is there more involved wiring needed?

tuner1129

Reaction score
Do these plug into the OBD II port, or is there more involved wiring needed?
No they dont. There is a bit of running wires involed but no wire cutting just inserting wires into the connectors. They dont come as a real plug in play because the connector are big and wouldn't go into the grommets without completely tearing them apart. The connectors have numbers aswell to its easy to follow the manual provided to not screw up which was my worry to be honest. Lol.

Attachments

• 15482107135391531374356440651717.jpg
    15482107135391531374356440651717.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 95
  • 15482108522241944732730676745616.jpg
    15482108522241944732730676745616.jpg
    980.8 KB · Views: 95

JNB

Reaction score
No they dont. There is a bit of running wires involed but no wire cutting just inserting wires into the connectors. They dont come as a real plug in play because the connector are big and wouldn't go into the grommets without completely tearing them apart. The connectors have numbers aswell to its easy to follow the manual provided to not screw up which was my worry to be honest. Lol.
Thanks for the details, I’m going to order some.

RichM1983

Reaction score

EDIT: I asked if you could send me pics of your manual. I found one online. Thanks!

Any chance you would have part numbers for the wires and modules though?

Thanks

Last edited:

tuner1129

Reaction score
EDIT: I asked if you could send me pics of your manual. I found one online. Thanks!

Any chance you would have part numbers for the wires and modules though?

Thanks
Oh sorry took awhile to get back at you. I'm glad you founded i just got home and I was about to go look for the pages. As far as the harness I am not sure of the part number. I ask one of the guys about the harness alone but they said they didnt have that part alone. Where you able to find it?

RichM1983

Reaction score
Oh sorry took awhile to get back at you. I'm glad you founded i just got home and I was about to go look for the pages. As far as the harness I am not sure of the part number. I ask one of the guys about the harness alone but they said they didnt have that part alone. Where you able to find it?

No I haven’t found the harness or the module. Have any idea what the part number could be for the module? It would have to be somewhere on it if you could easily access it to look.

tuner1129

Reaction score
No I haven’t found the harness or the module. Have any idea what the part number could be for the module? It would have to be somewhere on it if you could easily access it to look.
I will take a picture of the numbers they are there, and upload them. Hopefully they are a part number but might be batch number.

timtlu

Reaction score
I called the dealer and they are surprised they work as theh should. The flashing will basicly just add that the truck came with powered running boards instead of just having them as a aftermarket feature. As far it showing up in the apps all 3 dealers I called had no clue, but I'm having it flashed next week and ill confirm if it shows up or not.

Any word on whether these are controllable after installed or flashed by dealer? I just had mine added at dealership and they work fine with open/close of door. However, I do not see them on my MOPAR vehicle site, nor an app in UConnect to control them. I'm wondering if the dealer just did not flash them to the vehicle, or if there is no independent control. Anybody have a picture of where the UConnect control is/what it looks like?

Users who are viewing this thread