5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for Northerners...

Tones1975

Reaction score
That's strange, I turn my traction control off and it certainly doesn't turn completely off but enough to slide around a bit if it's a little slick. Hoping my 21 on order is the same way, it's bad enough they won't give you the option of turning the t/c completely off as it is (well other than in 4lo).
My truck will kick the back end the tiniest bit with the traction control off but then the brakes start working to counteract the slippage.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck will kick the back end the tiniest bit with the traction control off but then the brakes start working to counteract the slippage.

Well that's no fun! Guess I will find out for myself come next snowfall, hoping it performs close to my 4th gen in that regard though. 18 years of messing around in the snow has been fun, and I'd like to keep it up.

GATORB8

Reaction score
There’s still going to be wear on the front axle even when not engaged because front axle parts are still moving, even in 2WD. There was discussion on this a few years back. I’ve never had an issue, just make sure to inspect it Every now and then. No noticeable mpg hit for my prior vehicles, my Limited is new tho, I’ll see if there is one but I doubt it would be greater than 1 mpg.

Front axle isn’t engaged in 2wd.
From the manual:
For variable driving conditions, the 4WD AUTO mode can be used. In this mode, the front axle is engaged, but the vehicle’s power is sent to the rear wheels. Four-wheel drive will be automatically engaged when the vehicle senses aloss of traction. Because the front axle is engaged, this mode will result in lower fuel economy than the 2WD mode.
loss of traction. Because the front axle is engaged, this mode will result in lower fuel economy than the 2WD mode.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Front axle isn’t engaged in 2wd.
From the manual:
For variable driving conditions, the 4WD AUTO mode can be used. In this mode, the front axle is engaged, but the vehicle’s power is sent to the rear wheels. Four-wheel drive will be automatically engaged when the vehicle senses aloss of traction. Because the front axle is engaged, this mode will result in lower fuel economy than the 2WD mode.
loss of traction. Because the front axle is engaged, this mode will result in lower fuel economy than the 2WD mode.
Correct, in 2WD it’s not engaged. I’m not disputing that, however there are still moving parts on the front axle while in 2WD only. You’ll still see wear on front axle components.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"I've seen the tubes of sand at Home Despot and other big-box stores,..."
Not sure if "Home Despot" was intentional or not, but I like it.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 049909 miles.

LouNY

Reaction score
Well I run a tad bit different then many on here I guess.
If the weather is predicting a storm I tend to keep between 2-300 pounds in the rear of the bed.
I burn coal in my fireplace insert so I toss 5-10 bags of coal in the bed.
I also run what I consider to be about the best dedicated snow tires available,

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV's, ran them on my 2015 and will be putting new ones on my 2019 this coming winter.

I only run 4 auto when the roads are covered in patchy snow or ice, if they are clear it's 2wd.
My driveway is 4HI so called locked every day year round it is steep enough that otherwise the tires are scrabbling and loosening up the gravel.

The only other time I use 4 auto is pulling a load out of a field or field road onto the highway.
As far as I am concerned that is the only times it is worth having. (of course that is just my opinion, I do not like these clutch operated t cases)

Fausimo

Reaction score

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV's, ran them on my 2015 and will be putting new ones on my 2019 this coming winter.

I had those on my previous vehicle, they really are the best. Theres no replacement for real winter tires.

Count me in the no weight vote. Its only good to help a bit 2wd from sliding or getting stuck. On a 4wd it would only slightly hinder your breaking. I drive 2wd until slippery then 4hi till im stuck then 4lo and locker if i have it just to get out of the snowbank. I'm sure auto4wd is great but i'm not sure if i would trust it in a storm or freezing rain more than the 4hi.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in Seattle and when we get snow the city basically burns to the ground because nothing is ever prepared. That said I find myself on the highways in unplowed roads whenever it snows and I usually just throw my truck into 4WD Auto and let it do its thing. I haven't bothered with extra weight yet as we get snow maybe 1-2 times a year.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
4WD Auto style setup in my 2014 was not very functional, even with good A/T tires, and I had about 300-400 lbs of sand tubes in the back in the winter. There is a midwest hardware store, Menards, that carries the sand tubes in a cheap canvas paper/fabric bag, but still better than plastic.

This past winter, the 2020 did awesome. I rarely needed more than 4 Auto, and never needed to add bed weight. We did get dumped on a few times in South Dakota, but not like some lake-effect snow areas. We're not known for our raw snowfall amounts usually, we're known for moderate snow combined with lots of high wind (AKA blizzards).

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven't used sandbags in any of my Ram's but I did in my previous trucks.
Go to your local tire place and get some used tractor trailer tubes. Cut these in half and you can sew up one end with a zip tie and sew the other end with rope(allows you to open it if you need some sand). The rubber won't freeze and slide around like plastic sand bags. I use to get my sand free from the city and they augment it with a bit of salt.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't used sandbags in any of my Ram's but I did in my previous trucks.
Go to your local tire place and get some used tractor trailer tubes. Cut these in half and you can sew up one end with a zip tie and sew the other end with rope(allows you to open it if you need some sand). The rubber won't freeze and slide around like plastic sand bags. I use to get my sand free from the city and they augment it with a bit of salt.
Inner tubes work great for that. But I wouldn't use zip ties if you plan to use them more than one winter. Zip ties can become brittle and break, especially when exposed to the elements. Maybe some of the larger ones will hold up longer, but I'd use wire to close the one end instead of a zip tie.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Inner tubes work great for that. But I wouldn't use zip ties if you plan to use them more than one winter. Zip ties can become brittle and break, especially when exposed to the elements. Maybe some of the larger ones will hold up longer, but I'd use wire to close the one end instead of a zip tie.

I used the heavy duty ones, get them from work(use them for police cuffs).

Quint

Reaction score
Minnesota and up near the Canadian border. Good tires are key. I never intentionally put weight in the back. If I needed to, I would just freeze some water in a bunch of 5 gallons bucks and use a rope to secure them in the bed. They'll stay frozen, won't make a mess, and can be easily removed. I know I guy that used to throw down a tarp and fill his entire truck bed with water. Once it froze, his little 2wd Toyata did much better in the snow.

834k3r

Reaction score
Minnesota and up near the Canadian border. Good tires are key. I never intentionally put weight in the back. If I needed to, I would just freeze some water in a bunch of 5 gallons bucks and use a rope to secure them in the bed. They'll stay frozen, won't make a mess, and can be easily removed. I know I guy that used to throw down a tarp and fill his entire truck bed with water. Once it froze, his little 2wd Toyata did much better in the snow.
So that's one method I've never heard of before--water. Makes sense.

Quint

Reaction score
I guess that it's one of those little blessings of living in a state where it stays below freezing for months in a row!

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll add a bit of safety advice that you're all likely already considering but just in case. Anything you put in the bed of your truck should be secured using quality straps of chains etc rated for the load. If you put sandbags or frozen water in your truck bed and don't secure it properly it will potentially be a dangerous flying object in a crash/rollover situation. I work with a large fleet and can tell you unsecured cargo in truck beds and inside the cab or a truck or car can lead to major injuries in a crash. We always need to remember, an object in motion stays in motion unless acted upon by an outside force!

Fatherof3

Reaction score
When I had my 2WD Ram I used to just shovel some snow in the bed and when the weather warmed up it would just melt away .

Users who are viewing this thread