5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question for etorque start/stop experts

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If auto start/stop is ON, the engine shuts off at stop lights and RPMs go to zero right?

Under what circumstances will this not happen?

I test drove a Bighorn Hemi with eTorque today and the engine didn't shut off at stoplights.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
Did it have the start stop switch. Maybe it wasn’t active. But in theory yes it should work unless the system senses the small starting battery in weak.

Member of the Gas Monkey Garage crew.
Nyinstaller2 on IG

rbram

Reaction score
If auto start/stop is ON, the engine shuts off at stop lights and RPMs go to zero right?

I test drove a Bighorn Hemi with eTorque today and the engine didn't shut off at stoplights.
I learned just the other day it wouldn't cut off if your seat belt is not on. I confirmed this in the manual as well.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes sir, it had the switch.

After seeing the engine didn't shut off, I pressed the switch to test it. The switch light came on, which I think disables start/stop.

Then I pressed it again and the light turned off, which I think enables start/stop.

But if the 48V battery is weak... that also disables start/stop? Is there charge indicator somewhere for this battery?

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I learned just the other day it wouldn't cut off if your seat belt is not on. I confirmed this in the manual as well.

Ah, rats. I was buckled up but not sure if the salesman was.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
If it's cold out it won't stop very often due to cabin heating

No gauge for the 48v battery.

When I test drove my truck it stopped at the first stop light I pulled up to.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
The battery isn’t 48volts it’s a second 12 volt motorcycle size battery. I don’t have start stop and I’m glad I don’t. It’s extremely annoying and doesn’t actually save gas. Think about it , it takes more gas to start a vehicle than to maintain it. The reason these dumb features are coming out is so dodge and others can get green credits. Which allows them to have other engines available that aren’t so green like the hellcat.

I believe someone said there is a gauge. But the seat belt is true as well.

Nyinstaller2 on IG

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's cold out it won't stop very often due to cabin heating

No gauge for the 48v battery.

When I test drove my truck it stopped at the first stop light I pulled up to.

Well shoot... this too was the case. Instead of heat though, the AC was running full blast to cool the cabin. We hit 80F in central Florida today.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
I could be wrong on the voltage of the second battery. However in the JL with start stop and 18 grand Cherokee. It’s a second 12 volt battery. For a ram I’m not sure.

Nyinstaller2 on IG

2019Ram64

Reaction score
If ac was on blast and cabin temp was hot it also could of been a reason it stayed on I believe the generator is 48 bolts but the second battery is 12.

Nyinstaller2 on IG

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The battery isn’t 48volts it’s a second 12 volt motorcycle size battery. I don’t have start stop and I’m glad I don’t. It’s extremely annoying and doesn’t actually save gas. Think about it , it takes more gas to start a vehicle than to maintain it. The reason these dumb features are coming out is so dodge and others can get green credits. Which allows them to have other engines available that aren’t so green like the hellcat.

I believe someone said there is a gauge. But the seat belt is true as well.

Nyinstaller2 on IG

You're likely the most knowledgeable person on the forum... and to hear you say that gives me pause about getting etorque.

I may cool my jets on it and wait for more owner reports to post.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whether 12 or 48, idk; it is what it is. But at least three conditions disable start/stop:

1. weak aux battery
2. seat belts fastened
3. HVAC running

Thanks all!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

There’s a long list in the owner’s manual. See the Resources section of this website.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
I wouldn’t call myself the most knowledgeable. All I know is start stop isn’t for me. And most either turn it off in a tune or buy a tazer to auto activate the off button. I do have many years on the platform. And first started with messing with the start stop on a Jeep jl I helped getting a hellcat running in. However the systems are different between a jl and DT. For starters a jl doesn’t have the massive generator / alternator the rams do.

Besides being an ex Diablo employee. I Guarantee with 100 percent certainty. There is no one on this planet that has unlocked more Chrysler pcms that I have. I developed the tools and practice of doing the unlocks back in the day for Diablo and was the sole person doing them at the time until a year after the merger with Powerteq. Finally got help but still did most of them. And then I left to be on the failed miserable shifting gears show with Aaron Kaufman. And now I’m part of the gmg Fast n Loud crew.

So yes I am knowledgeable in depth on these vehicles as I know how they work (under the hood) and due to the resent testing I’ve done I’ve learned a lot of new things which allow me to answer questions on the forums and Facebook etc

Nyinstaller2 on IG

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Knowledgeable and humble. Cool beans. If you were unlocking PCMs, you are in rare air.

You may know this story better than me, but I recall watching Aaron and the guys try to transplant a Hellcat, I believe it was, into his Pike's Peak racer, again I believe it was. This was before the crate engine was available and they couldn't get it running; computer issues brought them to a literal STOP. They ended up calling Diablosport and got a guy named Jon to come out and work his magic to get that engine running.

Jon was moonlighting at a local Ft. Lauderdale performance shop (Afterhours Motorsports) about a decade ago and had a hand in installing a supercharger on my 2006 6.1L Hemi. Another Diablosport guy, Johann, tuned it. Maybe you know these guys; small world if you do.

Btw, I just gave myself a sanity check and from what I see, I think there's a version of electric start/stop in JL's that use a 12V aux battery but I'm seeing the eTorque systems touted as having a 48V.

There’s a long list in the owner’s manual. See the Resources section of this website.

Boom (drop the mic). I'm looking for this list, they did a good job at hiding it.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
Knowledgeable and humble. Cool beans. If you were unlocking PCMs, you are in rare air.

You may know this story better than me, but I recall watching Aaron and the guys try to transplant a Hellcat, I believe it was, into his Pike's Peak racer, again I believe it was. This was before the crate engine was available and they couldn't get it running; computer issues brought them to a literal STOP. They ended up calling Diablosport and got a guy named Jon to come out and work his magic to get that engine running.

Jon was moonlighting at a local Ft. Lauderdale performance shop (Afterhours Motorsports) about a decade ago and had a hand in installing a supercharger on my 2006 6.1L Hemi. Another Diablosport guy, Johann, tuned it. Maybe you know these guys; small world if you do.

Btw, I just gave myself a sanity check and from what I see, I think there's a version of electric start/stop in JL's that use a 12V aux battery but I'm seeing the eTorque systems touted as having a 48V.

Boom (drop the mic). I'm looking for this list, they did a good job at hiding it.

Haha hello my name is Jon. I appeared on gas monkey garage in 2015 where I got a hellcat engine running in 6 hours after arrival. I also used to own after hours mopar performance before my business partner decided working was optional. So hey sup. Lol

Small world now I own a ram. Wanted a limited but dealers were insane on the price. Tried to charge like 800 plus dollars on a lease. I own a 78 k Cadillac atsv and don’t even pay that. So I got s decked out Laramie. But I’ve reprogrammed it to say limited as boot so I’m almost there.

Nyinstaller2 on IG

Reduxalicious

Reaction score

If the Engine Oils is below 111 Degree's (at least according to my findings watching the gauge)

If your AC is on High Blast
If your heat is on High Blast
If you're in Tow-haul mode
If you've pressed the + button on the gear select

If your AC is on medium I have found that the truck will kick off and the AC will kick off but after awhile the Truck will kick back on, I imagine it does it more so in the trucks with Climate Control based on Temperature selected.

Craftman

Reaction score
The captured energy is passed into a 430 watt-hour, air-cooled, lithium-ion battery pack the size of a small suitcase, which is mounted inside the passenger cabin on the rear wall between seats and pickup bed.

The battery pack converts the 48V juice to a typical 12V that charges the smaller lead-acid battery and powers engine accessories such as the electric engine cooling fan.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha hello my name is Jon. I appeared on gas monkey garage in 2015 where I got a hellcat engine running in 6 hours after arrival. I also used to own after hours mopar performance before my business partner decided working was optional. So hey sup. Lol

Small world now I own a ram. Wanted a limited but dealers were insane on the price. Tried to charge like 800 plus dollars on a lease. I own a 78 k Cadillac atsv and don’t even pay that. So I got s decked out Laramie. But I’ve reprogrammed it to say limited as boot so I’m almost there.

Nyinstaller2 on IG

HA! Oh wow it's a super small world! Yeah I saw you on tv lol. I wanted to say you got that Hellcat running in less than a day but couldn't remember for sure. I remember all the Gas Monkies being amazed at what you did... so it's no small wonder they tried to lure you away, and were apparently successful. Congrats on your new role and cheers to big success.

George here. Doubt if you remember me it's been so long and I know you guys had a long list of people come though the shop. I know the partner you refer to and there was clearly tension in the air. Too bad that went south but new doors get opened. I finally traded my car last year, the one you worked on, and it was rock solid, man. You do good work.

I don't actually have a Ram but I want one; very sharp truck!

Are you developing tuning product for the Ram or just tinkering?

Mich thor

Reaction score
I wouldn’t call myself the most knowledgeable. All I know is start stop isn’t for me. And most either turn it off in a tune or buy a tazer to auto activate the off button. I do have many years on the platform. And first started with messing with the start stop on a Jeep jl I helped getting a hellcat running in. However the systems are different between a jl and DT. For starters a jl doesn’t have the massive generator / alternator the rams do.

Besides being an ex Diablo employee. I Guarantee with 100 percent certainty. There is no one on this planet that has unlocked more Chrysler pcms that I have. I developed the tools and practice of doing the unlocks back in the day for Diablo and was the sole person doing them at the time until a year after the merger with Powerteq. Finally got help but still did most of them. And then I left to be on the failed miserable shifting gears show with Aaron Kaufman. And now I’m part of the gmg Fast n Loud crew.

So yes I am knowledgeable in depth on these vehicles as I know how they work (under the hood) and due to the resent testing I’ve done I’ve learned a lot of new things which allow me to answer questions on the forums and Facebook etc

Nyinstaller2 on IG
Could the E torque be hacked to act as a boost for more than 1/2 of a tire rotation? I would think that boost would really help in a w.o.t. situation. I worked as a locomotive mechanic and think it could be done at the expense of battery.

Users who are viewing this thread