5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question for etorque start/stop experts

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sounds like one magical brake pedal :)

Do I understand this right? So if you live in a really hot or really cold place, the fuel economy benefits may not be maximum... because even if the engine stops, it may re-start if the cabin needs AC or heat. Or the engine might not stop at all if AC or heat is running.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ To not get crazy in typing and stay generic. I’m lazy today. Answer is yes and no. Main control of hvac and pass climate is the driver. It will still shut off in either climates and demands.
Heat will still heat when engine is off—I will look into our 5th gen not 100% on that. Many companies keep flow continue with electric pump would assume ours aswell.

On the ac side with higher technology and design evaporator will still stay cool when engine off—dead head compressor and multi high and low side integrated piping and velocity valves.
Not a100%set up to stay shut off but will do and passenger comfort in a good zone for a period of time. Outside that yes engine will fire up. No one hides that on engineer lvl in any etorque video or interview.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine starts up as soon as my foot is not even fully off the brake. I had something cool happen this morning. Was at a light and start/stop kicked in. When cabin fell below selected temperature setting, with my foot on the brake, eTorque disabled and the heater came on. Very neat.
Yeah...happens frequently at long lights, especially during A/C season.

djwdjw

Reaction score
I searched and came up empty...

Coming into your final parking spot it takes me a few seconds to fiddle around getting ready for a shutdown and putting the truck into park. What's the best technique to keep the engine running before I shift into park and hit the off button? Seems like I am always auto-restarting the engine when putting into park.

I love the eTorque stop/start but would like a better shutdown sequence.

Thanks for any pointers.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stop/Start doesn't work when the truck isn't in gear. I just stop, shift to park, then shut off the engine.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I searched and came up empty...

Coming into your final parking spot it takes me a few seconds to fiddle around getting ready for a shutdown and putting the truck into park. What's the best technique to keep the engine running before I shift into park and hit the off button? Seems like I am always auto-restarting the engine when putting into park.

I love the eTorque stop/start but would like a better shutdown sequence.

Thanks for any pointers.
I run into this when I'm pulling into my garage and want to get the truck position just right. I'll be creeping ahead, then pause to check my surround view, and...the truck shuts off. It feels wrong to restart the truck (by putting it in Park) in order to shut it off. Once, I skipped putting it in Park and just shut it off (triggering the parking auto-correct message). But that doesn't feel right either. I'd be interested in pointers on this as well. I don't necessarily want to manually select a gear just to keep the truck running.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just turn off the stop/start? The button is right by your knee. Is that too complicated....or what am I missing?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just turn off the stop/start? The button is right by your knee. Is that too complicated....or what am I missing?
It's another button press. By that logic, I'd save a click by just shutting the truck off in D and letting the truck shift to P on its own. Plus, I'm wanting to use stop/start at all other times, so I don't want to disable it.

Alternatively, FCA could update the system logic to have a stopped engine STAY stopped when shifted from D to P. Why not?

Grayfuji

Reaction score
It's another button press. By that logic, I'd save a click by just shutting the truck off in D and letting the truck shift to P on its own. Plus, I'm wanting to use stop/start at all other times, so I don't want to disable it.

Alternatively, FCA could update the system logic to have a stopped engine STAY stopped when shifted from D to P. Why not?

When I enter a parking lot or my driveway I hit the "Off" button on the stop/start and it only stays that way til I shut the truck off. When I start/restart it goes back to the start/stop system being active. I definitely dislike having the truck start and stop every few seconds while trying to finesse my parking. :)

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For people that need to run heat/AC/accessories for an extended period of time? Not every possible use case is yours alone.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For people that need to run heat/AC/accessories for an extended period of time? Not every possible use case is yours alone.
Of course...it would restart under such cases in the same manner that it does when I'm waiting at a traffic light and accessory demand triggers a restart. But why force an instant restart when shifting from D to P? Under what circumstances, if any, is that necessary? Perhaps the truck can't engage Park without the engine running?

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why would it need to be running to go from D to P? That's not reality.

Why it starts when you leave D is because Start/Stop is a component of the program for driving. P is not used for driving, so there is no Start/Stop functionality.

Can't you imagine all of the folks that would get pissed because their truck didn't run when they shifted to P and had to go through some process to make the truck run? That's not been the case of driving...ever, and wouldn't be transparent to drivers.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why would it need to be running to go from D to P? That's not reality.

Why it starts when you leave D is because Start/Stop is a component of the program for driving. P is not used for driving, so there is no Start/Stop functionality.

Can't you imagine all of the folks that would get pissed because their truck didn't run when they shifted to P and had to go through some process to make the truck run? That's not been the case of driving...ever, and wouldn't be transparent to drivers.
You’re right. It’s not every time you put the vehicle in Park that you want to shut it off and leave. It’s probably only 97% of the time.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m sure there is coding for that now or with a update to allow down the road.
On that part of it of things yes, it’s for cabin comfort first.
Enough tech is in the truck the option should/will be come owner control at some point in future. I hope.....

Users who are viewing this thread