5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question for etorque start/stop experts

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found it. Thanks all for the replies.

Possible Reasons The Engine Does Not Autostop
Prior to engine shut down, the system will check many safety and comfort conditions to see if they are fulfilled. In following situations, the engine will not Autostop:
• Driver’s seat belt is not buckled.
• Driver’s door is not closed.
• The vehicle is on a steep grade.
• Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an acceptable cabin temperature has not been achieved.
• HVAC is set to full defrost mode at a high blower speed.
• Engine has not reached normal operating temperature.
• Engine temperature too high.
• The battery is charging.
• The transmission is not in DRIVE.
• Hood is open.
• Vehicle is in 4LO transfer case mode.
• Accelerator pedal input.
• Excessive 12 volt loads.

It may be possible to operate the vehicle several consecutive times in extreme conditions and not meet all criteria to enable an Autostop state.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I know of studying the eTorque system, it's a 48v 330Wh battery made up of 12 LG Chem cells. Battery composition is lithium-ion Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC)-Graphite.

Many conditions can keep the engine running. Temp has been high in the 20s here lately and mine doesn't have any issues shutting down as soon as the heater core is up to temp.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's so much bad info in this thread...

Gas Monkey man, stick to what you know. I'm sure you know a ton of things, but so far I haven't seen one correct word about stop start.... Not trying to be a ****, but clearly people already assume you're an authority on this stuff, and it can be very misleading.

The stop start system does not use a second 12V battery in any of the FCA products, period. The new JL Wrangler with the 2.0L Turbo four also uses a 48V battery pack. Any other FCA product with stop start other than the new eTorque systems uses just the regular car battery, and are not considered Mild Hybrids.

There's no extra fuel being wasted during startup (even on regular modern engines, as they can start without "full throttle" being requested). The MGU spins the motor up so it can essentially just resume idle, and it does not use the conventional starter motor at all for any stop / start function.

I suggest everyone look more around the forums here because there's actually quite a lot of info now on how the eTorque mild hybrid system works with both the 5.7 and 3.6 rams, and all of the same principles apply to the Jeep products as well.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
There's so much bad info in this thread...

Gas Monkey man, stick to what you know. I'm sure you know a ton of things, but so far I haven't seen one correct word about stop start.... Not trying to be a ****, but clearly people already assume you're an authority on this stuff, and it can be very misleading.

The stop start system does not use a second 12V battery in any of the FCA products, period. The new JL Wrangler with the 2.0L Turbo four also uses a 48V battery pack. Any other FCA product with stop start other than the new eTorque systems uses just the regular car battery, and are not considered Mild Hybrids.

There's no extra fuel being wasted during startup (even on regular modern engines, as they can start without "full throttle" being requested). The MGU spins the motor up so it can essentially just resume idle, and it does not use the conventional starter motor at all for any stop / start function.

I suggest everyone look more around the forums here because there's actually quite a lot of info now on how the eTorque mild hybrid system works with both the 5.7 and 3.6 rams, and all of the same principles apply to the Jeep products as well.

Ok I never acted like I am god almighty. And the knowit all on start stop or etorque. However you are wrong. Start stop equipped vehicle like the JL 3.6 I mentioned and the grand Cherokee 3.6. Have a second auxiliary battery that is and only 12vdc. The second battery in a jl 3.6 non etq system is located behind the splash shield on the passenger side blow the primary battery. In a grand Cherokee it is located in the same pocket as the primary battery. If you remove the positive lead from it your starter has no power. The vehicle does. But the power wire to the starter is dead. I have personally measured the voltage of that battery. As well as there is a high current relay mounted to the fire wall on Jeep jl 3.6l vehicles that connects and disconnects the power lead to that battery to prevent over charging.

I have no idea about etorque on any vehicle besides the fact that the start stop function of it is extremely annoying to me. That’s it.

E torque is not found on every fca start stop equipped vehicle.

Member of the Gas Monkey Garage crew.
Nyinstaller2 on IG

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Belt Starter Generator on the eTorque system is unlike 12v starter motor start/stop systems. The start is much quicker and is much smoother than the earlier start/stop systems. I don't mind it a bit.

If you don't like it, skip it.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
as long as your engine is stopped for 7 seconds the start stop system saved fuel. a hot start is not a cold/rich start so the extra fuel used starting the engine is minimal.

the etorque start stop is the best in the market. It's hardly intrusive. in the ram it'll even start the truck back up if it starts to get too hot/cold in the cab.
About the only thing that would be a problem is if you're running a loud exhaust it would probably be annoying.

Last edited:

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brilliant CA. Thanks for posting that!

Leaning back towards eTorque now...

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are a number of videos linked in the forums explaining the 6 modes of eTorque and can show you in liquid form how much fuel is saved from 90 seconds of idling.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try harder.

But its really tough for me

Ok I never acted like I am god almighty. And the knowit all on start stop or etorque. However you are wrong. Start stop equipped vehicle like the JL 3.6 I mentioned and the grand Cherokee 3.6 have a second auxiliary battery that is and only 12vdc. The second battery in a jl 3.6 non etq system is located behind the splash shield on the passenger side blow the primary battery. In a grand Cherokee it is located in the same pocket as the primary battery. If you remove the positive lead from it your starter has no power. The vehicle does. But the power wire to the starter is dead. I have personally measured the voltage of that battery. As well as there is a high current relay mounted to the fire wall on Jeep jl 3.6l vehicles that connects and disconnects the power lead to that battery to prevent over charging.

I have no idea about etorque on any vehicle besides the fact that the start stop function of it is extremely annoying to me. That’s it.

E torque is not found on every fca start stop equipped vehicle.

Nyinstaller2 on IG

You're correct on the Dual Battery Stop Start with the new JL 3.6 and the Grand Cherokee. I'm sorry I misspoke on that subject. I guess the new Pacifica uses the same Dual Battery system as well for Stop Start on the non hybrid versions (no idea about the hybrid Pacifica's) The less new FCA products that have stop start (like the current and last gen Cherokee's) use the "normal" one battery system I was thinking of. (It only adds 135 CCa, so idk why they even bothered, but, engineers, yanno?). Edit: Just to clarify for others reading this, these systems are NOT eTorque.

Like I said before, I wasn't trying to be a ****, I mean that sincerely. All I care about is making sure the info spread around is good and not misconstrued. (I know I f-ed that up a little with the Dual Battery thing).

Last edited:

2019Ram64

Reaction score
Yes your right the original got off topic.

Nyinstaller2 on IG

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll just pop in to say that I don’t find the start/stop function of my eTorque engine to be annoying whatsoever. In fact I hardly notice it.
Agreed, I’ll chime in as well. At first I was dead set against the e-torque and auto start/stop. I did not order it on my first truck. When I ordered a second truck (long story) I could only get e-torque at that time and didn’t want to wait for the regular Hemi to be available again. I was nervous until I finally received my truck. Glad now I did get the e-torque. Start/stop being noticeable is a non-issue.

Smoot178

Reaction score
I wanted the ETorque and I am disappointed at how long it takes for normal throttle operation after taking my foot off the brake. I have to take my foot off, consciously pause for a few seconds, and then I can use the accelerator, otherwise the vehicle surges from 0 throttle to whatever my foot is giving it instead of the gradual curve of normal use of the accelerator.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
I wanted the ETorque and I am disappointed at how long it takes for normal throttle operation after taking my foot off the brake. I have to take my foot off, consciously pause for a few seconds, and then I can use the accelerator, otherwise the vehicle surges from 0 throttle to whatever my foot is giving it instead of the gradual curve of normal use of the accelerator.
Mine doesn't do that. Mine is moving itself forward by the time my foots off the brake and it's ready for whatever throttle I give it.

JoeRam

Reaction score
@Smoot178 you might want to have that checked, non that I know of do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online