5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pros and Cons of e-tourque?

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well perhaps his cab temps were reached and the truck shut off. It’s not dependent on what temp you set the dial at. It’s dependent on the interior temps.

If you’re dealer says it’s fine and it’s working per the manual. Then it’s correct.

Where in the manual does it state something it’s not doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MontFla

Reaction score
Well perhaps his cab temps were reached and the truck shut off. It’s not dependent on what temp you set the dial at. It’s dependent on the interior temps.

If you’re dealer says it’s fine and it’s working per the manual. Then it’s correct.

Where in the manual does it state something it’s not doing?

I am going by my experience with my 2021. And as Sno Blazr said his truck is operating as it should. I have put on my AC full blast to lower the inside temp. Still will not shut off below 68 degrees. Do you think Ram designed it to function this way?? I highly doubt it. The dealer said no codes thrown and it is at least shutting off at 68. I have owned over 20 new trucks and have only complained about this one.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Well have you taken a temp gun into your truck to verify your cab temps were 68 or below?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am going by my experience with my 2021. And as Sno Blazr said his truck is operating as it should. I have put on my AC full blast to lower the inside temp. Still will not shut off below 68 degrees. Do you think Ram designed it to function this way?? I highly doubt it. The dealer said no codes thrown and it is at least shutting off at 68. I have owned over 20 new trucks and have only complained about this one.
Are you setting it to auto? That might be the difference. If you're setting it to auto and the engine still never shuts down, something is up regardless of what your dealer says.

If you have it set to put a certain temperature of air into the cabin, regardless of what the cabin temperature is, that's different from how I use it.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know of anywhere in Florida that the truck would've struggled to cool the cabin to less than 68 in January.

MontFla

Reaction score
Are you setting it to auto? That might be the difference. If you're setting it to auto and the engine still never shuts down, something is up regardless of what your dealer says.

If you have it set to put a certain temperature of air into the cabin, regardless of what the cabin temperature is, that's different from how I use it.
Yes

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
It also won’t cut off if the cab is that much colder than the temp you set it at.

Ramjack

Reaction score
If you're going to keep the truck for more than 8 years, there's some chance that you might have to replace something. Maybe.

I have eTorque and I like it, but I think it is a legitimate concern. After 8 years, the battery will have to be replaced, no doubt. They are expensive and will likely become more expensive and difficult to come by because it is a system that is not widely used in the automobile industry and will be likely phased out in a couple of years. Also, sometime after 8 years, there is a very high likelihood that the MGU will need to be replaced, just like an alternator likely would, and the MGU is much more expensive than a conventional alternator. Furthermore, I suspect the resale value of 6-8 year-old eTorque RAM's will take a significant hit because they buyer WILL be stuck replacing at least the battery on their own dime within a few years.

That said, I only expect to have my truck 3-4 years so this likely will not affect me.

UPDATE to add cost of replacement (parts only):
OEM alternator (non-eTorque) - $520
OEM MGU (for eTorque) - $1,385
OEM eTorque battery - $2,345

Last edited:

MontFla

Reaction score
I have eTorque and I like it, but I think it is a legitimate concern. After 8 years, the battery will have to be replaced, no doubt. They are expensive and will likely become more expensive and difficult to come by because it is a system that is not widely used in the automobile industry and will be likely phased out in a couple of years. Also, sometime after 8 years, there is a very high likelihood that the MGU will need to be replaced, just like an alternator likely would, and the MGU is much more expensive than a conventional alternator. Furthermore, I suspect the resale value of 6-8 year-old eTorque RAM's will take a significant hit because they buyer WILL be stuck replacing at least the battery on their own dime within a few years.

That said, I only expect to have my truck 3-4 years so this likely will not affect me.
Agreed I think it is time to trade in after 3 weeks lol

MontFla

Reaction score
Lol. I wonder how many times he is gonna complain about his little temp issue.

Probably going to trade it in and not complain anymore. I like my trucks and if I find myself not happy I bite the bullet and trade. Are u interested? Lol

gpk43

Reaction score
I keep going back and forth about to order with or without e-torque. So what do we feel are the pros and cons and ultimately what would you choose even if your choice would have changed after you received your truck?
In January I was faced with this choice.

My choice was the straight 5.7 Hemi. My reasoning was I was not convinced the MPG save was there.

Plus the straight 5.7 is solid having had 3 of them with no issues.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

UPDATE to add cost of replacement (parts only):
OEM alternator (non-eTorque) - $520
OEM MGU (for eTorque) - $1,385
OEM eTorque battery - $2,345
If there's demand, there will be an aftermarket. There are too many of these trucks being built for this to be a problem without a solution.

So no, I don't agree that this is a legitimate concern any more than any other part that might need maintenance or replacement after nearly a decade.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I have a feeling a company will
Make a etorque delete kit by then.

Ramjack

Reaction score
If there's demand, there will be an aftermarket. There are too many of these trucks being built for this to be a problem without a solution.

So no, I don't agree that this is a legitimate concern any more than any other part that might need maintenance or replacement after nearly a decade.
Yes, but these are additional parts (actually one additional part, the 48v battery, and one much more expensive part, the MGU) compared to the alternative. It's about the likely incremental cost of the eTorque vs non-eTorque version.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I have a feeling a company will
Make a etorque delete kit by then.

I think this is a real possibility. It won't be cheap, but it will be necessary to keep these trucks on the road for 12-15 years or more.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, but these are additional parts (actually one additional part, the 48v battery, and one much more expensive part, the MGU) compared to the alternative. It's about the likely incremental cost of the eTorque vs non-eTorque version.
So are all of the other options we have on our trucks...

Ramjack

Reaction score
So are all of the other options we have on our trucks...
Fair point. You might choose power running boards or 4-corner air suspension because you will enjoy using them. Who chooses e-Torque because they will enjoy using it? More likely, they choose it because they HOPE it will save a little fuel and the HOPE it won't have problems.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fair point. You might choose power running boards or 4-corner air suspension because you will enjoy using them. Who chooses e-Torque because they will enjoy using it? More likely, they choose it because they HOPE it will save a little fuel and the HOPE it won't have problems.
I chose it because I liked it on the trucks I drove and saw the benefits of the regenerative braking, the smoothness it adds to shifting, and the extra low-end I get accelerating from a stop.

All great things for towing, and I've not been disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread