5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pros and Cons of e-tourque?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I knew as soon as I started looking at Rams that I wanted one with the eTorque system. I'm liking it so far, and love that it shuts down at lights. Most of the miles I've put on the truck so far have been towing, but we did spend some time in Louisville and Nashville earlier this month and all is well. It took a bit of getting used to and it is different from other trucks I've owned, but I barely notice it now.

But all that aside, the biggest benefit is clearly the blue lettering in the badges on the hood. 🏎️

eaglemike

Reaction score
I had a limited without e-torque, but 3.21, 4x2. I got better mpg with that than my 2014 limited with e-torque, but it had 3.92, also 4x2. Overall difference was about 1.5-2 mpg.
The new truck will be 3.21. I think if one trades the truck the e-torque would have better value, even if the actual math isn't that much different on total cost.

Tinshield

Reaction score
I had a limited without e-torque, but 3.21, 4x2. I got better mpg with that than my 2014 limited with e-torque, but it had 3.92, also 4x2. Overall difference was about 1.5-2 mpg.
The new truck will be 3.21. I think if one trades the truck the e-torque would have better value, even if the actual math isn't that much different on total cost.
There was no eTorque in 2014

ALT_F13

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of eTorque for two reasons:
1. Butter smooth start/stop. Like to feel no vibration from the engine and complete silence when stopped in the traffic.
2. Regen braking. I live in the mountain area, so it helps a lot.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It’s definitely the smoothest A S S system I’ve ever experienced.

Tinshield

Reaction score
Sorry, it was a typo. M y 2014 with the vvt got better mpg than my 2019 with e-torque, but the 2019 had the 3.92.
My 2017 with the 3.6 and 3.21's was always over 20 mpg. Was pretty happy with it. My new one is doing well around 19 pretty consistently with the Hemi so pretty happy with that as well.

Croak

Reaction score
Something else to consider is that eTorque 5.7 is the same cost (or no cost on a Limited) as the standard 5.7 these days. Make any potential fuel cost savings much more immediate.

Tinshield

Reaction score
Something else to consider is that eTorque 5.7 is the same cost (or no cost on a Limited) as the standard 5.7 these days. Make any potential fuel cost savings much more immediate.
That’s how I looked at it.

bobinwa

Reaction score
Any idea on the percentage of the 1500's with eTorque that have had problems with the system? Wondering what the risk level is.

Maryland bowhunter

Reaction score
There is another thread that discusses the ETorque option : E Torque - Auto stop and start
As I mentioned in that thread, prior to purchasing my 2022 Rebel, I test drove the various Ram models, and some of the ones I drove had the ETorque function. I was not a fan (maybe I am just old school and not used to this technology). The sales manager kept pushing this function on me during our negotiations. I stuck to my guns when ordering my 2022 Rebel and did not get the ETorque function. I told the sales manager that this is just something that can break or the expensive battery may need replacing in the future. I wanted to stay away from this future expense and loss of use of my truck due to it being in the shop for repairs. SOOO glad I did't get this function, hearing about the issues mentioned in the post thread I commented on.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any idea on the percentage of the 1500's with eTorque that have had problems with the system? Wondering what the risk level is.
There are 10s of thousands of trucks with this system, and we have a handful of people who have had issues. Every single one of those issues was fixed by Ram or will be fixed by Ram because it's covered for 8 years.

If you're going to keep the truck for more than 8 years, there's some chance that you might have to replace something. Maybe.

I like the system a lot, for driving around town, but also for towing. Zero regrets.

MontFla

Reaction score
Not all hemis are created equal. Mine does not function as well as my 2021 and the dealership says it is operating normally. I lived it in my last truck it is useless in this one. The start stop that is.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not all hemis are created equal. Mine does not function as well as my 2021 and the dealership says it is operating normally. I lived it in my last truck it is useless in this one. The start stop that is.
If you're talking about the temp issue you've been having, my 22 doesn't function like that. We had ours set at 62 today and the engine still shut off. If the light lasted too long and the cabin temp went up, the engine would turn back on. It was 76 degrees here today, so it did turn back on a couple times.

But, it's definitely cutting off with climate control set below 68.

MontFla

Reaction score
Lol. I wonder how many times he is gonna complain about his little temp issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I purchased this truck under the assumption it would perform like my 2021. You are correct I am complaining and took my truck to the dealership who said it is fine. As you stated yours works correct meaning mine is not fine. If it bothers you I am speaking my mind don’t read it. Have a nice day

MontFla

Reaction score
If you're talking about the temp issue you've been having, my 22 doesn't function like that. We had ours set at 62 today and the engine still shut off. If the light lasted too long and the cabin temp went up, the engine would turn back on. It was 76 degrees here today, so it did turn back on a couple times.

But, it's definitely cutting off with climate control set below 68.
Thanks for the helpful info

Users who are viewing this thread