5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems with power running boards

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
Mine get iffy in cold weather. They might deploy half way, or get stuck in the deployed position. Keep the hinges clean and sprayed with WD40 helps, or keep them permanently stored. The whole thing is a silly design feature imo.

rkeesler

Reaction score
Can add me to the list for a 2020 Ram 3500 Laramie. Passenger side power running board intermittently deploys....time for a visit to the dealer.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
EDIT: My problem wasn't physical the logic was messed up on my unit. Disconnecting the battery worked.
When I hit the power steps it would deploy the driver but not passenger side. After disconnecting the battery it deployed both properly AND behind my steering wheel it said it was getting deployed. I had similar problems after disconnecting the battery before.
It seems that the trucks radio has persistent memory (that lasts when power is removed) but the power steps have memory that is not persistent and they fight each other.

I was able to reproduce my problem.
Deploy steps in park, go into drive, hit button for steps (nothing will happen as you are in drive) open driver door and close (step will retract), go into park.Upon opening the passenger door the step will close and stay shut. The truck is stuck in some weird mode where it think's the passenger side is open or something as will not re-open from the door or the button inside.

I get the joy of getting added to the list for a 2022 1500 Limited's passenger running board just died on me.
Was working last week and now it doesn't engage.
I went under the truck and the motor doesn't engage, no heat no noise or vibrations, it's almost like the motor is completely fried or the wiring from the factory was dead and no longer works.
The connector is also very clean almost like new except a little dust same as the working driver side.

I checked and as the truck is only 2-3 months old from the factory both sides still have thick greese on the joints so there's no reason it would of been damaged by that and it's never tried to close with someone or something on it (it's probably only been engaged 20 times if even)

Last edited:

jeeper64060

Reaction score
EDIT: My problem wasn't physical the logic was messed up on my unit. Disconnecting the battery worked.
When I hit the power steps it would deploy the driver but not passenger side. After disconnecting the battery it deployed both properly AND behind my steering wheel it said it was getting deployed. I had similar problems after disconnecting the battery before.
It seems that the trucks radio has persistent memory (that lasts when power is removed) but the power steps have memory that is not persistent and they fight each other.

I was able to reproduce my problem.
Deploy steps in park, go into drive, hit button for steps (nothing will happen as you are in drive) open driver door and close (step will retract), go into park.Upon opening the passenger door the step will close and stay shut. The truck is stuck in some weird mode where it think's the passenger side is open or something as will not re-open from the door or the button inside.

I get the joy of getting added to the list for a 2022 1500 Limited's passenger running board just died on me.
Was working last week and now it doesn't engage.
I went under the truck and the motor doesn't engage, no heat no noise or vibrations, it's almost like the motor is completely fried or the wiring from the factory was dead and no longer works.
The connector is also very clean almost like new except a little dust same as the working driver side.

I checked and as the truck is only 2-3 months old from the factory both sides still have thick greese on the joints so there's no reason it would of been damaged by that and it's never tried to close with someone or something on it (it's probably only been engaged 20 times if even)
Mine sounds similar to yours. The passenger step quits occasionally, works fine not slow or showing obstruction or anything.
Then I get a fault saying the running boards are not available (drivers side works normal) and a fault saying the air suspension is not working. The air suspension works but it is not showing position on the instrument cluster- still shows position at the switch, still lowers at high speed and raises when I slow.
Passenger step doesn't do anything. After a week I took it to the dealer and on the way there it fixed itself - went out and back in and all faults cleared. It has done this twice, fixed itself on the way to the dealer.
This time I pulled up to get air in the front tire, left it running. While I was squatting down it honked at me 3 or 4 times, step deployed and won't go back up. I don't know if I mashed a button on the remote or what. We are out of town on a trip and have driven 600 miles or so with one step out.
Mine is a 2020 built in October 2019. My bumper to bumper warranty is expired and I dread what this will cost to fix.
It seems like a program issue rather than a hardware issue. When it fixes itself it is totally fine.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You sure the horn honking wasn't your truck trying to say "stop filling the tire"? The Tire Fill Alert will honk the horn three times when you're overinflated.

1660851579998.png

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That may be what the honking was about. I had no idea it would do that. But - why did the.step deploy and stay our?
Dunno. Maybe it was trying to smack you because you weren't listening to the horn honks? Just spit-balling here.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine get iffy in cold weather. They might deploy half way, or get stuck in the deployed position. Keep the hinges clean and sprayed with WD40 helps, or keep them permanently stored. The whole thing is a silly design feature imo.
No WD40. White lithium. You can get it in a spray and it will stick on and stay there, not remove whatever lubrication there is and make it worse. I live on terrible dirt roads and my running boards get caked in crap. they rarely if ever fail me once I started lubing them.

jeeper64060

Reaction score
Mine sounds similar to yours. The passenger step quits occasionally, works fine not slow or showing obstruction or anything.
Then I get a fault saying the running boards are not available (drivers side works normal) and a fault saying the air suspension is not working. The air suspension works but it is not showing position on the instrument cluster- still shows position at the switch, still lowers at high speed and raises when I slow.
Passenger step doesn't do anything. After a week I took it to the dealer and on the way there it fixed itself - went out and back in and all faults cleared. It has done this twice, fixed itself on the way to the dealer.
This time I pulled up to get air in the front tire, left it running. While I was squatting down it honked at me 3 or 4 times, step deployed and won't go back up. I don't know if I mashed a button on the remote or what. We are out of town on a trip and have driven 600 miles or so with one step out.
Mine is a 2020 built in October 2019. My bumper to bumper warranty is expired and I dread what this will cost to fix.
It seems like a program issue rather than a hardware issue. When it fixes itself it is totally fine.
Well I went to town to get some take out Mexican food, and when I got home the step retracted when I locked the doors. All back to normal operation.
Now I'll have to wait for it to quit again to try to get it to a dealer. Pretty frustrating.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I went to town to get some take out Mexican food, and when I got home the step retracted when I locked the doors. All back to normal operation.
Now I'll have to wait for it to quit again to try to get it to a dealer. Pretty frustrating.
If there's any resistance when it is opening or closing it "stops". It's anti pinch protection. Stick your head under the back 1/3 of the step and the motor and lever are there. check if there's anything in the linkage or anywhere near the joints that could cause it to bind.

auggiedoggies

Reaction score
I have power steps as well on my 2019 limited. They only deploy halfway and then say something is blocking them and fold back in. i live in minnesota, I'm debating just replacing them with fixed boards. Anyone done that before?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have power steps as well on my 2019 limited. They only deploy halfway and then say something is blocking them and fold back in. i live in minnesota, I'm debating just replacing them with fixed boards. Anyone done that before?
There's no reason you can't replace them with fixed boards.
They should use the same mounts on the bottom, can just unplug the motors and leave them hanging or remove them.

Just be very careful on how tight you torque the new boards on.

St-na

Reaction score
I left my running boards deployed for a night and found battery completely drained by morning. Confused why, they shouldn't drain battery, as long the motor is not running.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a thought here. Maybe the hinges or motor mount are slightly twisted causing binding. Has anyone tried loosening the mounting bolts to take any stress off and allow them to realign?

Jmac509

Reaction score
Out of curiosity is it possible to convert to regular running boards?

Zebber

Reaction score
Same problem with my 21 Limited, took it to the dealer and they said it was a computer flash problem. Worked for about 2 days and started doing the same thing again. Haven't had the time to go back to the dealer yet. But I know it isn't a software problem for sure.

jeeper64060

Reaction score
It just quit again. Now it's out of warranty. The folding mirrors quit also this time but I disconnected the battery and the mirrors started working again when I hooked the battery back up. Still getting an air suspension fault and passenger step not working. I was planning to keep this long term but having second thoughts now.

RAM_Davis

Reaction score
No WD40. White lithium. You can get it in a spray and it will stick on and stay there, not remove whatever lubrication there is and make it worse. I live on terrible dirt roads and my running boards get caked in crap. they rarely if ever fail me once I started lubing them.
Sorry to revive an old thread but this one seemed to have the most activity. I just bought a used 2020 and I have problems with the running boards. It happens mostly when it's cold. I think it probably just needs some lubrication. What are the various lubrication points? I have white lithium grease in a tube, will that work? Or, should I get a spray. Should I power wash the locations first to try to blast out crud? Not sure about this as it may force water into hinges that may lead to corrosion. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread