5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

daveomatic

Reaction score
I told the dealer the add-ons were a "nonstarter". This is the reply:

So you will happily take my discounts but wont take our aftermarkets ? Which still comes to a 17K discount ?

Lol, “so you will you will consider this major purchase if I incentivize it enough to make it worthwhile, but you won’t agree to pay exorbitant prices for my frivolous, borderline bogus features that you don’t want or need???”

Why yes, yes I will if you actually would like to sell me something.

Runagun

Reaction score

So you will happily take my discounts but wont take our aftermarkets ? Which still comes to a 17K discount ?
Good reply would be. Oh no I won't take ur discount nor aftermarket parts. Cause I've already purchased from Mark Dodge. Thank you for wasting my time. I'll let you stay a parking lot.

FYRSTIX

Reaction score
I had another look at this thread and realized there are two salespeople involved. The first guy (#1) responded to my online inquiry with I'm here, how can I help. I responded by asking about what the add-ons were. The answer came from a different guy (#2). I then said this was a nonstarter, which thought was going back to the original sales guy (#1), but the snarky reply came from #2. I see now that I was responding to an email address that is obviously shared at the dealership. Duh.

I'm torn between ignoring and continuing with #1, responding to all, walking away without comment, or sharing this thread with the sales manager, who sent me an email greeting on day one. The problem with the last option is that I see that all three of them share this dealer email address so he may already be aware and is okay with it.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score

I had a dealer try something similar with me back in 2022 when I was casually starting to look at Rams. I found one that was a 1 owner Laramie, CPO, and ticked almost all the boxes on the features. It was one of those "if I can get a good deal, i'll sacrifice a couple options" moments. Got there, looked it over and noticed some poorly applied touch up paint on the front bumper, but did the test drive anyways. Went in to talk numbers, and they hit me with all kinds of add-ons, including an aftermarket GPS tracker (not lojack, but I can't remember the name of what it was). I told them I wasn't interested in that and to take it off. They said "we can't do that". I said, sure you can. It's aftermarket, installed by you, so you can take it off. They insisted they couldn't, so I said fine, show me what you're willing to give me on my F150, and they came in $5k UNDER the LOW end of KBB. I told them they weren't even close to low value on KBB let alone fair value, and pulled out a copy of the KBB value I had printed that morning before heading there. They then tried the "well, we use NADA, not KBB." I said, Ok fine, here's the NADA print out as well. Their last line of defense was "well, if we're going to pay top dollar for yours, you're going to pay top dollar for ours". My final response was "no, no i'm not. Now give me back the keys to my truck." They tried stalling by "oh we're trying to find the guy who was inspecting it, I don't think he's done with it". It took me pointing out that I could see my truck parked in the exact same front row spot I had left it in and getting loud enough for the entire dealership to look over at us for them to hand over my keys.

The kicker was the salesman called me the next day and said "have you had a chance to re-think your situation?" Simply hanging up on the guy I think got my point across. If you're in the Charlotte area, stay away from Keffer CDJR in Matthews. Bunch of crooks and you'll find many reviews among the inflated 5 star ones that tell the same thing.

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Dealer coupons - haven't heard of those before, at least not called that. Holdback, maybe.
"Dealer Cash" rebates are available from time to time, which are different than the "consumer cash" that are advertised. Dealers can use these to lower the price of specific inventory items. Currently, I don't think there are any on Ram trucks. But for example they had it on some Wagoneers ( I think prior MY) recently). It's like an allowance to use on aging inventory, but it's not just a check to cash it has to be tied to a specific eligible VIN.

Stair-step is similar, where there is an increased 'kickback' of sorts for dealers when they meet a certain threshold(s) of sales on a particular vehicle or set of vehicles for a defined time period. This used to be VERY common and drove the whole "end of month urgency" but for CDJR does not exist on a regular basis anymore. They did it briefly in October 2023, for about a month only, and then dropped it and went back to consumer cash. Seemed most dealers were pocketing the cash, rather than "putting it on the hood" and therefore it did not have the desired effect on moving inventory.

Holdback is different still, which is 3% of MSRP (less destination) paid to dealers after that specific vehicle is sold. Some vehicles have a lesser holdback, namely Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer currently. This is part of why Louisiana, namely, does not allow us to advertise boasting "XXX amount below invoice" because it is misleading, guiding the customer that this is below dealer cost for that stock unit - when actually dealer cost is less. So they just axed the whole concept of dealers saying that they were selling below cost/invoice. That's why all of our discounts and promos always mention the % below MSRP. Not only is it law abiding lol, but it also allows you the customer to figure out your own math and compare apples to apples, same vehicle at same time is the same MSRP, regardless of where you are in the country or what your dealer, or you, are getting for any rebates.

TAL2GK

Reaction score
I had a dealer try something similar with me back in 2022 when I was casually starting to look at Rams. I found one that was a 1 owner Laramie, CPO, and ticked almost all the boxes on the features. It was one of those "if I can get a good deal, i'll sacrifice a couple options" moments. Got there, looked it over and noticed some poorly applied touch up paint on the front bumper, but did the test drive anyways. Went in to talk numbers, and they hit me with all kinds of add-ons, including an aftermarket GPS tracker (not lojack, but I can't remember the name of what it was). I told them I wasn't interested in that and to take it off. They said "we can't do that". I said, sure you can. It's aftermarket, installed by you, so you can take it off. They insisted they couldn't, so I said fine, show me what you're willing to give me on my F150, and they came in $5k UNDER the LOW end of KBB. I told them they weren't even close to low value on KBB let alone fair value, and pulled out a copy of the KBB value I had printed that morning before heading there. They then tried the "well, we use NADA, not KBB." I said, Ok fine, here's the NADA print out as well. Their last line of defense was "well, if we're going to pay top dollar for yours, you're going to pay top dollar for ours". My final response was "no, no i'm not. Now give me back the keys to my truck." They tried stalling by "oh we're trying to find the guy who was inspecting it, I don't think he's done with it". It took me pointing out that I could see my truck parked in the exact same front row spot I had left it in and getting loud enough for the entire dealership to look over at us for them to hand over my keys.

The kicker was the salesman called me the next day and said "have you had a chance to re-think your situation?" Simply hanging up on the guy I think got my point across. If you're in the Charlotte area, stay away from Keffer CDJR in Matthews. Bunch of crooks and you'll find many reviews among the inflated 5 star ones that tell the same thing.
I had a similar experience with Keffer. Very old school thinking. Maybe being close to the city they act differently than rural or suburban dealers. I had a great experience with Capital CDJR in Indian Trail when I ordered mine ... so much so that I was skeptical they were hiding something. I might've been a one-off, but they've done as much as they can for me through the service department, too, since my purchase. Jim Levinsky is my service advisor and he's as honorable as they come.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
I had a similar experience with Keffer. Very old school thinking. Maybe being close to the city they act differently than rural or suburban dealers. I had a great experience with Capital CDJR in Indian Trail when I ordered mine ... so much so that I was skeptical they were hiding something. I might've been a one-off, but they've done as much as they can for me through the service department, too, since my purchase. Jim Levinsky is my service advisor and he's as honorable as they come.

I'll have to keep them in mind if I ever need any warranty or other service work done as you're certainly not the first person to recommend them. We bought my wife's Jeep from Hendrick in 2020 since they're close to us, but I have mixed feelings on their service group after they botched a simple alignment on it.

FYRSTIX

Reaction score
Well guy #2 emailed me this morning after my "I'm out" email from yesterday and in it he made a mild suggestion that I might have taken offense from what he said (see #17602 above for details) because of his name. I replied with it had nothing to do with your name and (after many re-edits) I just added "I don't want to do business with you."

I figured that would be it.

No sir. He comes back with what if he takes off the $3000 of add-ons, would I still be interested.

Great. Now I have to tell my wife I may have just bought a new truck!

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Well guy #2 emailed me this morning after my "I'm out" email from yesterday and in it he made a mild suggestion that I might have taken offense from what he said (see #17602 above for details) because of his name. I replied with it had nothing to do with your name and (after many re-edits) I just added "I don't want to do business with you."

I figured that would be it.

No sir. He comes back with what if he takes off the $3000 of add-ons, would I still be interested.

Great. Now I have to tell my wife I may have just bought a new truck!
I'm confused, how could the guy's name have offended you?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unless you really want the updated truck and not knowing your financial situation, I‘d stick with what I know (your 2020).
Example: My 2014 Ford Edge with 164K has been nearly flawless. While that doesn’t tell me that the drivetrain will go another 164K as trouble free, I have a lot of confidence in the car.

You sound like you are happy with your 2020 and its simplicity vs the new Limited’s complexity.

I bought the 2023 Limited in my signature due to needing/wanting a new truck. I didn’t trust the beemer‘s future maintenance costs based on several articles that I had read. I gambled that a complex German engineered vehicle with a known less than stellar maintenance profile wasn’t the one to keep.

Raabs

Reaction score
Jan 9th Took delivery of a 2024 Limited Blue Pearl Night Edition, 30 miles, pretty much loaded, from Mark Dodge. 18% off MSRP. Corey very helpful and Derick in logistics hired a transport to FL. Good experience. Jan 10 realize the ACC lane assist, front collision and auto brights not working. System indicating service required. Local Dealership found what they though was a defective windshield camera module, ordered a new part. Took truck in today and they couldn't get the new part to calibrate. Local dealer says windsheild is not Mopar, has been replaced and is not compatible with the modules (indicated Mopar requires an OEM Mopar windshield for the lane assist acc camera etc to work.) I'm not sure how it would know... But the windshield doesn't have the Mopar info or ram logo and is stamped as Fuyao brand. Obviously not Mopar OEM. I called MD and initially they say they have no record of it being replaced but they will search more in depth on tomorrow (wed 1/24). I hope they back up their great reputation and figure this out and work with the local dealer here to get everything working. So far it's been 25 hours in Shop to diagnose and 9 more to unsuccessfully install the new parts only to uncover the windshield issue. Any guidance from experienced people?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123-191016_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123-191016_Gallery.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 23

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Jan 9th Took delivery of a 2024 Limited Blue Pearl Night Edition, 30 miles, pretty much loaded, from Mark Dodge. 18% off MSRP. Corey very helpful and Derick in logistics hired a transport to FL. Good experience. Jan 10 realize the ACC lane assist, front collision and auto brights not working. System indicating service required. Local Dealership found what they though was a defective windshield camera module, ordered a new part. Took truck in today and they couldn't get the new part to calibrate. Local dealer says windsheild is not Mopar, has been replaced and is not compatible with the modules (indicated Mopar requires an OEM Mopar windshield for the lane assist acc camera etc to work.) I'm not sure how it would know... But the windshield doesn't have the Mopar info or ram logo and is stamped as Fuyao brand. Obviously not Mopar OEM. I called MD and initially they say they have no record of it being replaced but they will search more in depth on tomorrow (wed 1/24). I hope they back up their great reputation and figure this out and work with the local dealer here to get everything working. So far it's been 25 hours in Shop to diagnose and 9 more to unsuccessfully install the new parts only to uncover the windshield issue. Any guidance from experienced people?

Thanks.
This deserves its own thread Raabs, but 30 miles, i assume truck sold as new, with a replacement windshield already ? Sounds like an interesting story for sure.
Lucky you bought from MD. They will figure it out and do the right thing !

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
This deserves its own thread Raabs, but 30 miles, i assume truck sold as new, with a replacement windshield already ? Sounds like an interesting story for sure.
Lucky you bought from MD. They will figure it out and do the right thing !

If a new thread is created, post the URL in this thread so it can easily be tracked as I am interested to know a bit more of what happened.

FYRSTIX

Reaction score
Update - no purchase yet and probably won't be.

Just as the last reply came that my offer was more or less being accepted, I got an email from another dealer who I had contacted about a Limited Longhorn. This truck is pretty highly optioned (no sunroof, which I don't want anyway), and more expensive than the Limited in question. I began negotiations and have been doing so since my last post. I thought we were making progress towards a deal, but it became frustrating when I asked for detailed call outs of the discounts they would offer and just got MSRP and then a single discount line item. I couldn't tell if my private RAM offer was included for instance.

Also, this dealer was very interested in my trade (which the original dealer never mentioned, strangely enough). Told me one thing on the phone and then was much lower when followed up in a text.

One phone call, some texts and emails back and forth a few times about the deal, numbers always changing. Grrr.

Tuesday evening I sent him my deal requirements one last time, the discount I wanted, trade value, no add-ons.

Crickets.

Its just as well. I'm having a hard time justifying this purchase at all. I've got a great 2020. I must say this process is easier (not easy) on the emotions when you can walk away.

That said, if I do get a reply that is close to my stated deal......

Plan B is to wait until the end of the 2024 model year and wade back in.

alextoulouse

Reaction score
Has anyone had the dealer add larger tires on their truck negotiated as part of the order? Im thinking about asking for BFGs as part of my factory order but not sure if its the best way to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread