5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I said what? I'm confused now lol. Was that quote with FFP vs. EP vs. Discount with me? If so send it back to me I want to read it again lol.
Not you. A dealer in Mi. I wanted to make sure of all availabilities. Wanted to know if there was still a chrome package like there used to be. Not everything is on the site. I wanted to verify my chices before contacting Mark Dodge. He told me using employee price could not get the 10% rebate. I guess I left that out. Earlier I had commented about yes you could get the V8 Laramie short box 4wd. It was earlier the day I talked to him that it was available. Later that day it wasn't.

RamOwner313

Reaction score
Question for the group.... Has anyone run into an issue of a dealer trying to recoup their loss from a discount with a trade in?
- My Rebel MSRP's for 70k but my sales price is 61.5k. Agreed upon and signed as it was built for me.
- My KBB is going for 45k, my blackbook is going for 47.5K but they are only offering me 40k and said "we have to recoup what we gave you in discount" I was like huh? That's not how that works.

Has anyone run into this and give insight on how to push back?

seansmd

Reaction score
Question for the group.... Has anyone run into an issue of a dealer trying to recoup their loss from a discount with a trade in?
- My Rebel MSRP's for 70k but my sales price is 61.5k. Agreed upon and signed as it was built for me.
- My KBB is going for 45k, my blackbook is going for 47.5K but they are only offering me 40k and said "we have to recoup what we gave you in discount" I was like huh? That's not how that works.

Tell them to keep the truck and leave, they perceive you want the truck more than the deal.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I agree with @seansmd - if you have a written deal with them you could also sell your truck to someone else who will pay the KBB. I bought a Pacifica in 2021 and they lowballed the price on the outback I was trading-in so I sold it to a Subaru dealer for 4k more. I am actually working a very similar deal to you with an order soon to arrive and a great price agreed to - hoping my dealer will offer me 47.5k for my trade so I don't have to sell it elsewhere.

rgreener77

Reaction score

They always try to get you on one end or the other. I trade often and this is the first time I've ever heard of them actually saying it out loud. I'd take the deal they gave you on the truck to another dealer and negotiate your trade with them there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I mean at least they were honest with you. This is how every trade in deal works.

They ether take it off the top or the bottom. But the house always wins.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get a online quote from Carmax to help get an idea. May be worth not trading it in there and just selling to Carmax which is rather easy but keep in mind the sales tax difference if you end up not trading it into the dealer where your purchasing the new truck from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
...but keep in mind the sales tax difference if you end up not trading it into the dealer where your purchasing the new truck from.

Very good point. With the potential price of the truck, there could be a tax savings of $3k.
Its not always about the price but sometime....just sometimes its about convenience. :cool:

6of36

Reaction score
Very good point. With the potential price of the truck, there could be a tax savings of $3k.
Its not always about the price but sometime....just sometimes its about convenience. :cool:
How is there a tax savings? In Michigan you pay sales tax on the negotiated sale price of the vehicle. Trade ins and rebates don't effect the taxable amount. Are some states different?

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is there a tax savings? In Michigan you pay sales tax on the negotiated sale price of the vehicle. Trade ins and rebates don't effect the taxable amount. Are some states different?
Each state can be different- in MN the trade-in value reduces the taxable sale price so it can lower the out the door price by hundreds of dollars or more if you trade-in at the selling dealership on a purchase. This is a nice benefit but I think also makes dealerships feel like they can lowball the trade offer hoping you'll take the easy route.

Jrodd52

Reaction score
I believe Michigan recently changed this in the past year or two. There are now tax savings on trade ins.

RamOwner313

Reaction score
Get a online quote from Carmax to help get an idea. May be worth not trading it in there and just selling to Carmax which is rather easy but keep in mind the sales tax difference if you end up not trading it into the dealer where your purchasing the new truck from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Honestly walking off helped. But I got quotes from Carmax and other competitors. All were good offers. Told them to match and give me the tax credit and they did so I’m happy. In about 20 mins I’ll be bringing home a 23 Rebel.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Another good tactic. Find the same car your trading in on their lot or lot near there and see what they are asking for it. Generally they are going to make around at least $5k profit on your.

We bought a new car Monday and they had the exact same thing but with a little more miles on their lot. They first tried to low ball me. When I brought up how much they were asking for the car they have on the lot, they ended up matching what I wanted for trade.

Also what interest rate did you get?

RamOwner313

Reaction score
Another good tactic. Find the same car your trading in on their lot or lot near there and see what they are asking for it. Generally they are going to make around at least $5k profit on your.

We bought a new car Monday and they had the exact same thing but with a little more miles on their lot. They first tried to low ball me. When I brought up how much they were asking for the car they have on the lot, they ended up matching what I wanted for trade.

Also what interest rate did you get?

I was in a rock and a hard place cause my truck wasn’t supposed to get here till end of May then my dealer texted me to come pick it up and I wanted to use USSFCU but they didn’t complete my application in time for the weekend so next week I am going to refinance. Their rates are really good. 60 months for 3.74% and 72 months for 4.24%. They told me on Friday I can refi and get those rates.

6of36

Reaction score
I believe Michigan recently changed this in the past year or two. There are now tax savings on trade ins.
Reading that, you only get a credit if the trade in is worth $9,000 or less. I haven't had a vehicle worth that little in probably 20 years. It's good for people who do have beaters and can finally get a new car.

seansmd

Reaction score
Honestly walking off helped. But I got quotes from Carmax and other competitors. All were good offers. Told them to match and give me the tax credit and they did so I’m happy. In about 20 mins I’ll be bringing home a 23 Rebel.
Good for you, a win win is when both walk away with a deal you can live with. You got the truck you ordered and what you feel is a fair trade in.

Users who are viewing this thread