5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Wire4money

Reaction score
OH shyt, somebody is a fanboy. How about an inflation calculator to show that Ram pricing has outpaced inflation by a large margin. How about the fact that over the years, people were paying a vastly different price for the same truck. Some walk in and get 20% plus off while someone else pays close to full MSRP. How about the same truck sitting on the same lot goes up and down in advertised price from month to month.

In 2011 I paid $34k for a well equipped BigHorn crew cab with Hemi and 4x4 that was MSRP'd at $43K. Based on inflation, I should be able to buy the same truck at $45k today. Instead I would be paying $60k for a BigHorn with similar options. Same with a 2015 Laramie hemi crew cab I paid $40k brand new with a $50,500 MSRP. Factoring in inflation I should be able to purchase a similar Laramie for just over $50k today. Instead it will cost me $68K.
Your logic is flawed. You cannot buy a truck exactly like your old ones. Vehicle manufacturers have to keep up with regulations, increasing safety rules, increasing mpg, etc. That costs r&d money.

RedFred

Reaction score
You’re getting confused between MSRP increases and dealer gouging. Compare MSRP to MSRP.

It's not just MSRP vs dealer gouging. Ram manipulates pricing with their rebates and dealer incentives.

RedFred

Reaction score
Your logic is flawed. You cannot buy a truck exactly like your old ones. Vehicle manufacturers have to keep up with regulations, increasing safety rules, increasing mpg, etc. That costs r&d money.
R&D has always existed. How did they build a 5th gen truck if they were not investing in R&D during the 4th gen production?

RedFred

Reaction score
For those that have doubts, look at the profits the auto manufacturer's have made. Record profits. Record profits while selling less cars. How does that happen? By squeezing the consumer to get more money out of them for the same product. Sell less, make more by making the consumer pay more. They have inflation, the pandemic, and the chip shortage to hide behind while they continue to raise prices.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Based on my research, your facts are a little off. In 2011, the base price for a 4x4 Crew Cab Bighorn with a 5.7L was $35,385. Today, it’s $48,505 for a 2022. That almost exactly follows inflation.
You seem to be under the delusion that companies exist to provide you (the consumer) with the lowest possible price that can be achieved. Companies exist to make money. Period. It’s how capitalism works.
If you don’t like the price, then don’t buy it.

RedFred

Reaction score
Based on my research, your facts are a little off. In 2011, the base price for a 4x4 Crew Cab Bighorn with a 5.7L was $35,385. Today, it’s $48,505 for a 2022. That almost exactly follows inflation.
You seem to be under the delusion that companies exist to provide you (the consumer) with the lowest possible price that can be achieved. Companies exist to make money. Period. It’s how capitalism works.

I just priced out a 2022 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4 with the the hemi as the only option. Price is $53,595 with destination before any rebates being applied. 2023 model is over $54K.
I got no issue with capitalism. But I'm open to having a conversation or argument about it. In the end, I may or may not buy another Ram. Chances are I probably still get one. But are we talking about capitalism or inflation as the cause for the price increases because the 2 contradict each other.

RedFred

Reaction score

Also, when you are talking about inflation accurately, you can't just look at the MSRP. You need to look at the selling price. The MSRP is just a number and is misleading. In NJ we went from purchasing a truck at 20% or more off MSRP to paying full MSRP. So if you want to make an argument about inflation, we need to discuss cost to purchase. Not just Ram's historically fictional MSRP numbers.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also, when you are talking about inflation accurately, you can't just look at the MSRP. You need to look at the selling price. The MSRP is just a number and is misleading. In NJ we went from purchasing a truck at 20% or more off MSRP to paying full MSRP. So if you want to make an argument about inflation, we need to discuss cost to purchase. Not just Ram's historically fictional MSRP numbers.
See, this is where you’re getting yourself confused again. Ram isn’t marking up (or down) from MSRP. That is done by individual dealers, who are NOT part of Stellantis.
I know you want to rail against the corporate machine, but if anything your anger should be directed at the local dealers.
Or skip all the whining and order a truck from one of the discount dealers who are on this forum.

RedFred

Reaction score
See, this is where you’re getting yourself confused again. Ram isn’t marking up (or down) from MSRP. That is done by individual dealers, who are NOT part of Stellantis.
I know you want to rail against the corporate machine, but if anything your anger should be directed at the local dealers.
Or skip all the whining and order a truck from one of the discount dealers who are on this forum.

Ram plays a roll in it. Nothing wrong with it, but they are not completely innocent. They play the game. It's easy to blame the individual dealership but Ram incentivizes the dealerships. And there is something larger going on other than a local dealership not wanting to sell for under MSRP. In all the NJ dealerships that I have visited, I can't get them to budge off MSRP. If I tell them i need $5 off the truck to make the deal, they tell me no problem we will add $5 to your trade in. If I ask why can't we take it off the truck price, they ask what's the difference? So I ask them, yeah what is the difference? Seems every NJ dealership I visited, regardless of individual ownership of the dealer, is following the exact same script.

But to your other point, what's the point of the forum if we can't whine a little? Are we only supposed to all be cheerleaders for the brand? Thread gets a little dull when the only posts are to tell you to order from Mark Dodge. I use to visit this thread long before I was a member of this forum. Lot's of helpful information, especially pre pandemic, before the business model for selling cars began to change.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ram plays a roll in it. Nothing wrong with it, but they are not completely innocent. They play the game. It's easy to blame the individual dealership but Ram incentivizes the dealerships. And there is something larger going on other than a local dealership not wanting to sell for under MSRP. In all the NJ dealerships that I have visited, I can't get them to budge off MSRP. If I tell them i need $5 off the truck to make the deal, they tell me no problem we will add $5 to your trade in. If I ask why can't we take it off the truck price, they ask what's the difference? So I ask them, yeah what is the difference? Seems every NJ dealership I visited, regardless of individual ownership of the dealer, is following the exact same script.

But to your other point, what's the point of the forum if we can't whine a little? Are we only supposed to all be cheerleaders for the brand? Thread gets a little dull when the only posts are to tell you to order from Mark Dodge. I use to visit this thread long before I was a member of this forum. Lot's of helpful information, especially pre pandemic, before the business model for selling cars began to change.
Stellantis plays their hand in certain ways to increase their MSRP (aka profits). Just add the Ram boxes or Multi Function Tailgate or change wheels. Not complaining - just have to work with their supply and my demand. Not always happy with the compromises that need to be made.

Mike7311

Reaction score
All this arguing about whether Ram is raising prices unfairly. It is kind of true, I bought my truck in 2020 and the same 2022 truck is 8k more (about 15%) with far less incentives (10k + when I bought). The market will correct soon, but only incentives can bring prices down at this point since the base line prices are up substantially.

Last edited:

Mike7311

Reaction score
I feel the worst offenders are whoever is setting up the quick order dealer models. They are packaged to push the MSRP sky high by itemizing the most expensive options in the worse fashion. Example on the Bighorn is the 1295 sport package, then adding 1595 rims separately and then 595 deluxe cloth. It adds up fast when other better packages cost far less.

Derek916

Reaction score
All this arguing about whether Ram is raising prices unfairly. It is kind of true, I bought my truck in 2020 and the same 2022 truck is 8k more (about 15%) with far less incentives (10k + when I bought). The market will correct soon, but only incentives can bring prices down at this point since the base line prices are up substantially.
2022 was definitely unfair in terms of price increases, but RAM didn’t have nearly the delays as Ford did when it came to building vehicles. Some trucks at ram slipped through the cracks but a lot were being built 3-4 months after order. So I think their price increases were a bit justified since it seemed to get them a steady supply of parts..Ford’s order system was 9-12 months out.

RedFred

Reaction score
2022 was definitely unfair in terms of price increases, but RAM didn’t have nearly the delays as Ford did when it came to building vehicles. Some trucks at ram slipped through the cracks but a lot were being built 3-4 months after order. So I think their price increases were a bit justified since it seemed to get them a steady supply of parts..Ford’s order system was 9-12 months out.

I think I remember reading that Ram was least effected by the supply chain issues amongst the big 3. They definitely were able to take advantage of the market by having trucks available for the most part.

Derek916

Reaction score
I think I remember reading that Ram was least effected by the supply chain issues amongst the big 3. They definitely were able to take advantage of the market by having trucks available for the most part.
Yeah…my point is although they did have a lot of increases, at least it seems to have been worthwhile. There are some discounts coming back for other car manufacturers so it’s definitely worth waiting a bit longer if you’re able to. I got a $1000 off on my Toyota Highlander and it had most of the features I wanted (adapative LED, and Birds Eye camera). Don’t think I could go in another car without Birds Eye. It’s a game changer.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New Jersey, unfortunately.
I live in NJ. I had no issue ordering for under invoice back in March. I took delivery in June. There were some dealers that were asking over list but they all came down pretty quickly. I just couldn't find something that had everything that I wanted, that is why I ordered.

RedFred

Reaction score
I live in NJ. I had no issue ordering for under invoice back in March. I took delivery in June. There were some dealers that were asking over list but they all came down pretty quickly. I just couldn't find something that had everything that I wanted, that is why I ordered.
When you ordered, it was from an out of state dealership?

westcoast

Reaction score
The problem is every time you go build a truck, it's more expensive then it was before also. I'm getting tired of Ram in general with their pricing. I saw a 2022 BigHorn Built to Serve addition at a dealership a while
The problem is every time you go build a truck, it's more expensive then it was before also. I'm getting tired of Ram in general with their pricing. I saw a 2022 BigHorn Built to Serve addition at a dealership a while back with MSRP of $57,250. I spoke to a dealership to price out an identical 2023 built to serve and it comes out to $60,300.

back with MSRP of $57,250. I spoke to a dealership to price out an identical 2023 built to serve and it comes out to $60,300.
Can’t blame you. I bought a 19 BH crew cab 4x4 in July of 19 for $41,000 OTD. MSRP was $52,000. After pitting two dealers against each other I was able to talk them down several thousand more plus getting $2,000 more for my trade.

I believe my before TTL price was $38,000. I’m sure those 25% msrp days are gone..

Every time I get an oil change they offer to buy it , but with prices now I feel there’s no reason to

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unreal - I bought my truck nearly 3yrs ago just before the pandemic. I just checked in to see how times have changed.

At the time, my truck had a sticker price of $61,270. That exact same build today is $71,380… a 16.5% increase in 3yrs.

I also had multiple dealers at 23-27% off sticker price after fees at the time, and settled on my dealer with 26% off. Tax was extra, but otherwise those prices were OTD with about $16k off in discounts.

What an incredible difference timing makes. Given the latest price trends, I’m likely to be in my truck for quite a while to come.

Users who are viewing this thread