5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

SuperShortMag

Reaction score
Be careful getting all hung up on invoice and rebates. The bottom $ being paid is what you want to know. Doesn't matter how they get there and what they call it.

Koon's gave me a great deal with 7% off invoice, but the rebates weren't as good as my local dealer. My local dealer was only 1% under invoice but found more rebates. In the end I got 21% off the sticker local

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
Anybody know what The Big Finish rebate is and if it is available on all trims? I see it listed on their website, but I'll be damned if they make it easy to find out exactly how much the rebate is for or what is eligible.

Mikemike

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2019 Laramie crew cab 4x4 hemi. MSRP 52420 negotiated price with eps $39807 before trade in and ttl. I think I did pretty good??

Attachments

• 20181206_184628.jpg
    20181206_184628.jpg
    924.1 KB · Views: 82

Thedonandmikeshow

Reaction score
I could be totally wrong, but most of the great deals aren't on a Limited. I visited and talked to about 6 dealers trying to work the best numbers I could. I got one with a better % off MSRP but the truck had extras that I just didn't want (sunroof), so why pay for it? Plus I couldn't find interior and exterior combo with the other features I wanted. Also, I don't qualify for any of the conditional incentives that others get either. I ended up being 10k under MSRP before any incentives that are running the month I pick up the truck. So right now I am at 15% below MSRP and hopefully some upside on additional incentives. I am happy with the deal and again, I get the EXACT truck I want. Sounds like you disagree??
I don’t disagree. I also got a quote from Koons. Everybody who buys from him gets the same 7% off invoice. From reading this entire thread it seems many are getting more off invoice. Honestly though I am a bit confused. I am unsure how to compare percent off invoice and amount below Msrp. I want to use koons as it is actually local for me but I want to make sure it is the best deal.

Cjgator

Reaction score
Dealerships outside of Central Florida appear to be much more aggressive with their pricing. I am trying to buy a 2019 Limited and can't get them to give any more than an 11 or 12% dealer discount off MSRP. With the 0% for 72 month offer the other FCA incentives aren't available.

Sittingduck

Reaction score
I shot an email price request to Koons this morning, asking specifically for Craig. Their online price is pretty solid, they have a truck I want in transit, waiting to hear if it can be even better. Question, has anyone shipped a truck from Koons? I am located in AZ, which equates to a one way drive of 2400 miles.

Thanks

Terviseks

Reaction score
I don’t disagree. I also got a quote from Koons. Everybody who buys from him gets the same 7% off invoice. From reading this entire thread it seems many are getting more off invoice. Honestly though I am a bit confused. I am unsure how to compare percent off invoice and amount below Msrp. I want to use koons as it is actually local for me but I want to make sure it is the best deal.

I tried Koons, too, and got the 7% spiel. I'm also local (Norther Virginia - I actually live right down the road from Koons). However, before I could get the OTD price, I needed to provide Craig with my full address, otherwise he simply "can't provide the final quote". Told him both the city and state I live in (they only need the state in Virginia to figure out the final price with taxes, title, etc.), but he came back with "when you get me the exact address you live at, I will give you the quote".

I'm trying to order a 69K vehicle, and I'm getting the 3K-used-car-dealership treatment. Thanks, but no thanks.

Dontra

Reaction score
I shot an email price request to Koons this morning, asking specifically for Craig. Their online price is pretty solid, they have a truck I want in transit, waiting to hear if it can be even better. Question, has anyone shipped a truck from Koons? I am located in AZ, which equates to a one way drive of 2400 miles.

Thanks
There is a dealer in Conway AR that will do 6-7% off www.superiorfivestar.com also in TN https://www.freelandauto.com/new-vehicles/ram They would be a lot closer

BCole8888

Reaction score
I got a 2019 Laramie crew cab 4x4 hemi. MSRP $56760, price before TTL including rebates, $46000. Rebates totalled $3750. This was last Friday. Seems I might have left a couple thousand on the table.

Thedonandmikeshow

Reaction score

Thanks
If your in Arizona why would you not go to Dennis Dillon?

Thedonandmikeshow

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info about the dealers in Detroit. I saw a separate post about very good deals there but no further comments about buying a car up there. The prices I saw seemed slightly worse then Dennis Dillon but much better then Craig at Koons. Detroit is only an 8 hour drive for me.

Runagun

Reaction score
Check South County in Gilroy Ca. No need to go to cross country. There was a dealer in AZ that is also wheeling and dealing. But I'm not sure who that was.

Thanks

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
I tried Koons, too, and got the 7% spiel. I'm also local (Norther Virginia - I actually live right down the road from Koons). However, before I could get the OTD price, I needed to provide Craig with my full address, otherwise he simply "can't provide the final quote". Told him both the city and state I live in (they only need the state in Virginia to figure out the final price with taxes, title, etc.), but he came back with "when you get me the exact address you live at, I will give you the quote".

I'm trying to order a 69K vehicle, and I'm getting the 3K-used-car-dealership treatment. Thanks, but no thanks.

...eh, I don't know about that. I think it's pretty fair to ask for your address, he's not asking for your social security number. If you aren't serious enough to provide an address, I would doubt how serious you are.

They are obviously giving the flat 7% (as others had mentioned, it's a good - not the best deal), trying to move volume and clearly trying to build a database for future sales ops.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
So we should be shooting for 7% below invoice (which is around MSRP X .91) minus incetives, correct? Or better...

Runagun

Reaction score
Geez, if he said come into the dealership and we'd talk price. I'd tell him to f'off. But he asked you just for a address. Seems your just kicking the tires and aren't serious.

You gotta know something. Volume guys don't make money on selling cars. They make money on the amount of cars they sell.

Runagun

Reaction score
Shoot for the lowest total price. For example I got 15k off a 68k truck. My dealer was hungry. Find those dealers.

So we should be shooting for 7% below invoice (which is around MSRP X .91) minus incetives, correct? Or better...

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score

After what I have read this forum, my general strategy once I am ready to hit the negotiation table is to aim for around 20-22% off the MSRP. I am not necessarily thinking about the invoice or true dealer costs (taking into account, i.e., holdback). Due to the pitiful lack of current rebates and other incentives it sounds like this may be currently unachievable in my case. I do not have good local options to get a good private finance rate so I would be looking at trying to get the 0% for 72 months (because I cannot get those rebates and incentives with the 0% deal). The double edge side of the 0% sword is I probably will have to give up on the notion of 20-22% under MSRP because without incentives I think my % off MSRP will be drastically reduced. Maybe more along the lines of like 15% off MSRP. Not a good bargaining position to be in, ugh. I'd be interested in knowing other people's thoughts if I am approaching this completely wrong given the lack of current rebates and incentives. By the way I am looking at a Limited or Longhorn so you have a sense of the MSRP range I am looking at.

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
I do not have good local options to get a good private finance rate so I would be looking at trying to get the 0% for 72 months (because I cannot get those rebates and incentives with the 0% deal).

Does anybody know if we can get pre-approved for the 0% deal? I did the "pre-approval" thing with Chrysler Capital and they gave me an amount (with all the normal disclaimers that it isn't real). Is there an option to actually apply for the loan prior to going into a dealer? I typically like to have financing worked out, and it certainly impacts my purchasing power depending on the 0% or my local credit union. I'd rather not sit in the dealership and wait for them to run a loan app.

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
After what I have read this forum, my general strategy once I am ready to hit the negotiation table is to aim for around 20-22% off the MSRP. I am not necessarily thinking about the invoice or true dealer costs (taking into account, i.e., holdback). Due to the pitiful lack of current rebates and other incentives it sounds like this may be currently unachievable in my case. I do not have good local options to get a good private finance rate so I would be looking at trying to get the 0% for 72 months (because I cannot get those rebates and incentives with the 0% deal). The double edge side of the 0% sword is I probably will have to give up on the notion of 20-22% under MSRP because without incentives I think my % off MSRP will be drastically reduced. Maybe more along the lines of like 15% off MSRP. Not a good bargaining position to be in, ugh. I'd be interested in knowing other people's thoughts if I am approaching this completely wrong given the lack of current rebates and incentives. By the way I am looking at a Limited or Longhorn so you have a sense of the MSRP range I am looking at.

Have you checked any of the national/larger credit unions, like PenFed or AgFed? They have competitive rates.

It's hard to imagine rebates will remain where they are presently. Looking at the financial and mainstream news, there's a lot of economic panic being reported and that affects things like auto sales directly. The volatility in the stock market definitely affected sales in November.

Now is the time to find the truck and start negotiating. You can also use the time in December to secure financing and see if that's a better deal with rebates than taking the 0% from FCA.

If I were to bet, the incentives will improve closer to the end of the month. Put yourself in the position where the dealer who may have said "No" today gives you a call back the last week of the month because they need to move the truck you're looking for and can meet your offer price.

And yes, you're on target with your strategy on finding a price.

JMO.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you checked any of the national/larger credit unions, like PenFed or AgFed? They have competitive rates.

It's hard to imagine rebates will remain where they are presently. Looking at the financial and mainstream news, there's a lot of economic panic being reported and that affects things like auto sales directly. The volatility in the stock market definitely affected sales in November.

Now is the time to find the truck and start negotiating. You can also use the time in December to secure financing and see if that's a better deal with rebates than taking the 0% from FCA.

If I were to bet, the incentives will improve closer to the end of the month. Put yourself in the position where the dealer who may have said "No" today gives you a call back the last week of the month because they need to move the truck you're looking for and can meet your offer price.

And yes, you're on target with your strategy on finding a price.

JMO.
Thank you. Much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread