5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

petersandler

Reaction score
I hear ya! @eerattler and I were talking in another post about our buying experience from Koons, within a couple of weeks of each other. My overall experience was excellent, EXCEPT the finance. I have (had at the time) 856 credit score, yet was offered pathetic 4.9 for 72 months. They asked how long I wanted to finance and I said 60 or 72 months....but if I'd known about the 48 months I would have done that. Now, I have to go through the hassle of refinancing.
My experience with their finance guys a few years ago buying a Grand Cherokee from them was even worse. Their finance guys are a bigger profit center than their car salesman. After agreeing upon a price for the Jeep GC, I spoke to their finance guys before I traveled to DC and was told 2.9% was the best they could with my 840 credit score. I showed up with a bank check from Pentagon Federal (with 1.9% financing) and they claim they have to put me through a government background check due to the Patriot Act. I claim BS and ask to speak to a finance manager. "I'm not paying in cash." I explain to the manager that I have a bank check drawn on a local bank that is required by federal regulations to engage in a full KYC (know your client) background check before loaning me money. We literally go in circles for an hour, with me telling them I'm not giving them my SS# unless they show me what their best available rate is for top tier credit. They go from the 2.9% to 2.49%, and I still them I'll just use my own financing. It isn't until I threaten to leave the dealership that they are willing to produce a rate sheet from US Bank that shows rates as low as 1.79% for 830+ credit. I tell them, ok, you get me 1.79% I'll take your financing, otherwise if you won't take my bank check I'm out of here. The sales process was great, the finance department almost ruined it for me. I opted to order the truck locally at 1% under dealer invoice instead of making the trip back to DC and dealing with them again.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now, I have to go through the hassle of refinancing.
I refinanced though penfed credit union about a month after I bought my 21 ram and the process was flawless. went from 2.9% to 1.9%.
My experience with their finance guys a few years ago buying a Grand Cherokee from them was even worse. Their finance guys are a bigger profit center than their car salesman. After agreeing upon a price for the Jeep GC, I spoke to their finance guys before I traveled to DC and was told 2.9% was the best they could with my 840 credit score. I showed up with a bank check from Pentagon Federal (with 1.9% financing) and they claim they have to put me through a government background check due to the Patriot Act. I claim BS and ask to speak to a finance manager. "I'm not paying in cash." I explain to the manager that I have a bank check drawn on a local bank that is required by federal regulations to engage in a full KYC (know your client) background check before loaning me money. We literally go in circles for an hour, with me telling them I'm not giving them my SS# unless they show me what their best available rate is for top tier credit. They go from the 2.9% to 2.49%, and I still them I'll just use my own financing. It isn't until I threaten to leave the dealership that they are willing to produce a rate sheet from US Bank that shows rates as low as 1.79% for 830+ credit. I tell them, ok, you get me 1.79% I'll take your financing, otherwise if you won't take my bank check I'm out of here. The sales process was great, the finance department almost ruined it for me. I opted to order the truck locally at 1% under dealer invoice instead of making the trip back to DC and dealing with them again.
same crap happened to me. Was told the best rate I could get was 2.9%, and Chrysler financial wanted to give me a higher rate. When I got the denial letter from Chrysler financial, my score was 857 if I remember correctly. Made me wonder who actually gets approved for 0 apr if 857 didn't qualify. Refinanced a month later for 1.9%. Still wanted 0 apr but 1.9 is better then nothing. But the finance dept was the worst part of the process.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This thread is a real eye opener. 😲

Feeling like I really got screwed a few weeks ago on the “deal” I got when ordering my Backcountry.

They gave me the standard talk about low production and high demand is causing discounts to be very tough to come by.

On a $64925 MSRP they only came off $3250 which included all current rebates. Dealer discounts amounted to only $1000 of that. I didn’t feel real good about it but put my deposit down for the order to get the truck built anyway.

My question is have any of you had success renegotiating the price after your truck was already ordered? I didn’t sign a contract so guessing I could refuse delivery and not obligated to buy if not happy with the price.

In hindsight of course I wish I had done more homework before. This current market seems to have really complicated things. My dealer has always done well for me and been very fair in the past so I took their word it was the best they could do.

Not sure what I should do? Any ideas would be helpful.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Feeling like I really got screwed a few weeks ago on the “deal” I got when ordering my Backcountry.

They gave me the standard talk about low production and high demand is causing discounts to be very tough to come by.

On a $64925 MSRP they only came off $3250 which included all current rebates. Dealer discounts amounted to only $1000 of that. I didn’t feel real good about it but put my deposit down for the order to get the truck built anyway.

My question is have any of you had success renegotiating the price after your truck was already ordered? I didn’t sign a contract so guessing I could refuse delivery and not obligated to buy if not happy with the price.

In hindsight of course I wish I had done more homework before. This current market seems to have really complicated things. My dealer has always done well for me and been very fair in the past so I took their word it was the best they could do.

how much was the deposit? I would assume you signed something for the deposit being either refundable or non refundable.

Dewey

Reaction score
how much was the deposit? I would assume you signed something for the deposit being either refundable or non refundable.
$1000
Only thing I signed was approving the build sheet.

myramtrx

Reaction score

It might be worth walking away from your deposit. Contact Devin Arnold at Dan Cummins Jeep RAM in KY. They order whatever you want for 4% under invoice + you get whatever incentives are available at time of delivery. I pick my BackCountry up in a couple of weeks and will save about $9,000 off of window sticker. Even if you fly to Lexington KY and drive it home, it might be worth your while.

Dewey

Reaction score
It might be worth walking away from your deposit. Contact Devin Arnold at Dan Cummins Jeep RAM in KY. They order whatever you want for 4% under invoice + you get whatever incentives are available at time of delivery. I pick my BackCountry up in a couple of weeks and will save about $9,000 off of window sticker. Even if you fly to Lexington KY and drive it home, it might be worth your while.
Is that $9000 including current rebates and incentives?

testcrewman

Reaction score
I walked away from my first order and lost my $2000 deposit. But I more than made up for it when I ordered through Mark Dodge. Ended up saving over $12,000 on my truck, so the $2,000 lost was chump change. I did give my first dealer the chance to come close to my deal with MD, they just about laughed in my face. So, I laughed back at him and walked away.

Dewey

Reaction score
I walked away from my first order and lost my $2000 deposit. But I more than made up for it when I ordered through Mark Dodge. Ended up saving over $12,000 on my truck, so the $2,000 lost was chump change. I did give my first dealer the chance to come close to my deal with MD, they just about laughed in my face. So, I laughed back at him and walked away.
I’m up in Wisconsin so Louisiana’s a haul but obviously worth the trip for that kind of savings.
I just checked out the Mark Dodge website. At least $10,000 off every truck on the lot. How the heck can they sell trucks for that price in this market? 😲 There isn’t a dealer around here that can touch that discount right now. Been hearing so many paying sticker for trucks on lots here due to extremely low inventory so that’s why I didn’t think I did so bad till coming here and seeing what you guys are paying. Guessing maybe it’s a regional thing.

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most don’t want the hassle of shopping out of state and will just pay w/e their local market is asking. Not me I shop around even though I’ve bought locally the last few times if you can match w/e xyz is advertising then I’ll stick with buying local if not then no dice. I’ve gotten a few times well then your going to have to travel etc or arrange shipping. Which I reply I’m on the road most of the year anyways so me driving some hours to get the deal I want isn’t a hassle at all lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eldodroptop

Reaction score
I’m up in Wisconsin so Louisiana’s a haul but obviously worth the trip for that kind of savings.
I just checked out the Mark Dodge website. At least $10,000 off every truck on the lot. How the heck can they sell trucks for that price in this market? 😲 There isn’t a dealer around here that can touch that discount right now. Been hearing so many paying sticker for trucks on lots here due to extremely low inventory so that’s why I didn’t think I did so bad till coming here and seeing what you guys are paying. Guessing maybe it’s a regional thing.
How is Mark Dodge able to discount in this market? Simple answer is they aren’t crooks, plus the sales staff is non commission.

More detailed answer is that they are a small market dealership pushing top 5 in Ram sales. Their entire existence is about pulling big market share from Houston, TX and New Orleans, LA. That is why they offer 250 mile free delivery on top of the already fantastic price, it covers both markets. The fact that buyers from all over the lower 48 states have discovered them and are long distance buying is just gravy to them.

Even with the large discount there is profit to be made through volume bonuses from the manufacturer and most purchases come with a trade-in. Trade-in cars are a major profit center.

Now realize that they will want to sell you all the goodies in finance (Warranty, Key replacement, Tire&Wheel, financing, etc) that is of course where dealerships have historically made most of their profits. But MD does not push these products on their consumers in an excessive way, and they will price match other providers.

GFK51

Reaction score
I had a worse experience with Koons finance office. They claimed that there was a problem with my social security number and could not get me the 0% finance offer available at that time. Got a 4.49% loan rate, told that I HAD to make three payments and THEN could refinance. I refinanced a week later and lo and behold the credit union did not have a problem with my social security number. Bunch of punks in the finance office at Koons.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
I'm in central IL. I started calling the dealers around me to ask if they would honor Affiliate Rewards on an order. I stopped after 3 responded yes (all dealers in smaller towns) and 1 no (not surprisingly from the larger dealer in a city).

I'm very happy getting 1% off invoice plus rebates and buying local. Plus I know the dealer I'm buying from and they always make the buying experience stress free. I can't imagine traveling out of state and the stress that goes with that, to end up in a nasty closing process where they know you've made a big commitment getting there and are unlikely to walk away.

petersandler

Reaction score
How is Mark Dodge able to discount in this market? Simple answer is they aren’t crooks, plus the sales staff is non commission.

More detailed answer is that they are a small market dealership pushing top 5 in Ram sales. Their entire existence is about pulling big market share from Houston, TX and New Orleans, LA. That is why they offer 250 mile free delivery on top of the already fantastic price, it covers both markets. The fact that buyers from all over the lower 48 states have discovered them and are long distance buying is just gravy to them.

Even with the large discount there is profit to be made through volume bonuses from the manufacturer and most purchases come with a trade-in. Trade-in cars are a major profit center.

Now realize that they will want to sell you all the goodies in finance (Warranty, Key replacement, Tire&Wheel, financing, etc) that is of course where dealerships have historically made most of their profits. But MD does not push these products on their consumers in an excessive way, and they will price match other providers.
They also get commissions on the financing arranged, extended warranties, etc.
I had a worse experience with Koons finance office. They claimed that there was a problem with my social security number and could not get me the 0% finance offer available at that time. Got a 4.49% loan rate, told that I HAD to make three payments and THEN could refinance. I refinanced a week later and lo and behold the credit union did not have a problem with my social security number. Bunch of punks in the finance office at Koons.
They told you that you had to make 3 payments so that they could collect their commission on the loan. If you pay it off it under 90 days, they dont get credit for it.

alpha_brit

Reaction score
I can't imagine traveling out of state and the stress that goes with that, to end up in a nasty closing process where they know you've made a big commitment getting there and are unlikely to walk away.
Buying from Mark Dodge was easily the least stressful buying experience I've had. All negotiations were done up front, price and incentives were locked in at the time of the order, and financing was solid prior to my ever stepping foot on the plane to fly down. There was no hard-ball, no last minute games, nothing but an extremely pleasant and efficient walk-through and delivery. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Edited to add: I am not saying this would be the experience everywhere, but I wanted to share how different my irl experience was from the hypothetical situation you imagined.

Runagun

Reaction score
I'm in central IL. I started calling the dealers around me to ask if they would honor Affiliate Rewards on an order. I stopped after 3 responded yes (all dealers in smaller towns) and 1 no (not surprisingly from the larger dealer in a city).

I'm very happy getting 1% off invoice plus rebates and buying local. Plus I know the dealer I'm buying from and they always make the buying experience stress free. I can't imagine traveling out of state and the stress that goes with that, to end up in a nasty closing process where they know you've made a big commitment getting there and are unlikely to walk away.
It's whatever your comfortable with. But others like me whose from nothern Illinois are willing to buy out of state especially when saving $15k+. And even that's with shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread