5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

tomme12

Reaction score
Is paying invoice a deal in this market? That's the best I've found here in so cal and considering pulling the trigger on an ecodiesel rebel this week
Go to Mark Dodge and pay less than invoice... add the $1k coupon and Tread Lightly $500 and you are even better! Picked mine up a few weeks ago from them. Worth it!

WA-G

Reaction score
Hi all, doing some shopping this morning for a family member. I've talked to several dealers and every single one comes back different. I'm looking for a BigHorn quad cab v8 with 8.4 screen and remote start. I'm finding a lot of dealers with 1-2 of these in every color just alike. A lot of them are advertising the price around $35-36K. Without use of of any coupon just rebates. Their price point they want to pay OTD is closer to the $35k. Frustrating that dealers advertise that price but OTD ends up bein $39-40K. Even with using Chrysler capital and having excellent credit. I've tried MD and they quoted me $45,700 for same truck. The MSRP at the other dealers is less than that. I know these are dealer special orders, which I normally save on when I buy but man none of these dealers want to work anymore. Any suggestions that might help out?

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all, doing some shopping this morning for a family member. I've talked to several dealers and every single one comes back different. I'm looking for a BigHorn quad cab v8 with 8.4 screen and remote start. I'm finding a lot of dealers with 1-2 of these in every color just alike. A lot of them are advertising the price around $35-36K. Without use of of any coupon just rebates. Their price point they want to pay OTD is closer to the $35k. Frustrating that dealers advertise that price but OTD ends up bein $39-40K. Even with using Chrysler capital and having excellent credit. I've tried MD and they quoted me $45,700 for same truck. The MSRP at the other dealers is less than that. I know these are dealer special orders, which I normally save on when I buy but man none of these dealers want to work anymore. Any suggestions that might help out?
So are these cheaper than Mark Dodge trucks sitting on a lot? Meaning older builds built at a lower MSRP? MD typically quotes higher trims around Employee Pricing but on lower trims without many options there just isn't the same wiggle room because they don't have much markup to begin with.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I can tell, Mark Dodge is selling Big Horns @ $500 under invoice. Realistically, that's probably the best one can hope for but I've never seen a POC on one. A Big Horn probably costs them more than $35K.

Nova90

Reaction score
Is paying invoice a deal in this market? That's the best I've found here in so cal and considering pulling the trigger on an ecodiesel rebel this week
Mark Dodge in Lake Charles, LA will probably get you a little more than 5% under invoice.

eaglemike

Reaction score
Just to be sure, did you do a build and save it with the same equipment, and get a quote from Aaron or Sandi for the build?
I did a build on the Ram site for a loaded Big Horn, came to about $55K. There's a bunch of various lesser Big Horns around at dealers for less, due to having less of the higher end packages or equipment. I even went to the credit union for their suggest broker. I sent him my preferred build of the loaded Big Horn (again $55K). He allegedly contacted his "network of dealers" and came back with a cost to me of $62K or $63K. I was pretty shocked, since planning to make a deposit, etc. I contacted Aaron and he quoted close to the same amount for a very loaded Limited Longhorn. Mark Dodge was an easy choice after my email from Aaron.
Good luck!

Runagun

Reaction score
OTD involves TTL. Which ever state is different but would normally be $3-4k. So unless your in a state that doesn't tax cars. I don't get tit. Plus, I don't think there's alot of markup on the $35k trucks.

Rich6896

Reaction score
How was delivery from mark dodge? Seems like the extra percent or 2 would be eaten up by delivery fees. What was your build time? And is there a way to see invoice pricing from the build I made online. Final price is 65,500 for mine
If you don't mind, what was your MSRP? Thx

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
10.8% below MSRP on a build to order Limited Longhorn, Lustine Ram in Woodbridge, VA, order placed on 12 March.

Long story short, I queried a Ram (I can't remember which model) via Costco Auto and was surprised to find a dealer in ~2 hrs away in Staunton, VA that was honoring the program., which is rare given that most dealers stopped supporting due to supply constraints. The Costco discount was, as listed above, ~11% for the Limited and Limited Longhorn. I called the dealer Lustine because it is about 40 minutes away, and they said they would honor the Costco price. I was told by the sales manager that for a Ram, the Costco price is ~1% above invoice/dealer cost.

Interesting side note, the F-150 only sees about a 1.5k discount, compared to the 5-7k on a comparable Ram.

Last edited:

WA-G

Reaction score
OTD involves TTL. Which ever state is different but would normally be $3-4k. So unless your in a state that doesn't tax cars. I don't get tit. Plus, I don't think there's alot of markup on the $35k trucks.
Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm in Alabama so TTL for this truck is less than $2k. I did not build online, just going off window stickers for the many similar models I've found. Some dealers are advertising all possible rebates added together. It seems it just depends on what rebates they want to stack as to price they offer. I think MD did not apply any rebates in the pricing they gave me. Could have been their issue but the MSRP they came back with was high. I've had an offer at around $39k OTD but hard to swallow when I paid less than that for my Laramie 2 years go.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm in Alabama so TTL for this truck is less than $2k. I did not build online, just going off window stickers for the many similar models I've found. Some dealers are advertising all possible rebates added together. It seems it just depends on what rebates they want to stack as to price they offer. I think MD did not apply any rebates in the pricing they gave me. Could have been their issue but the MSRP they came back with was high. I've had an offer at around $39k OTD but hard to swallow when I paid less than that for my Laramie 2 years go.
FWIW the build listed in my signature with a NWTF tag was a little over $2400 for TTL (I'm in Shelby County outside Birmingham city limits). There are not a lot of incentives this month which is definitely disappointing. I'll tell ya this, I hit up every freaking Ram dealership around here and not one of them was interested in taking my money. As soon as they knew I had half a brain they blew me off.

GrumpyDUB

Reaction score
So, first of all I haven't actually got mine yet. And with me being in Oregon, delivery from Mark Dodge is not going to be cheap. Especially with today's gas prices. Mark Dodge was cheaper than TuttleClick ( by the way, I found you have to talk to Rob, other sales people there can't give his prices ), but taking delivery into account there would be very little difference between the two dealers. And I was estimating delivery costs. Roughly something in the 70c up to $1 per mile. I was using the upper estimate and assuming $2k from Mark Dodge.
I would have flown down to CA and picked it up from Rob and driven it back to OR, .... but .... if I did that he would have to charge me CA sales tax. So that ruled that out as an option, much cheaper to ship it. When he and I talked we were guessing $1200 to ship up to OR. What swung it in favor of Mark Dodge for me is that I actually wanted to do a road trip and drive it home. Never been down to that part of the country and thought it would be fun. I ordered Jan 15th, expecting 3 to 4 months of wait. Then I got a Window Sticker on 2/12, within a month, indicating truck was built, and an email that it was at dealership on 3/1, so within 6 weeks of ordering. I was probably going to ship it with it arriving early March, too early in the year for me to want to do that road trip. However, the good news ( in terms of speedy build time ) ended for me at the dealership because it arrived damaged. Paint scratches. Bad enough for a trip to the body shop. It happened in transit somewhere, nothing to do with the dealership. They've been totally awesome in how they handled it. Anyway, just today I cancelled the order and placed a new order. Was able to roll my deposit to the new order. So I'm back in line waiting and unfortunately don't have any concrete info to share with you on shipping. But there's an entire thread on here devoted to Mark Dodge. Head over there and have a look around, there's some posts where folks discussed shipping from there.
by the way I should note that up here in OR, most dealers won't budge off MSRP. A couple offer $1k under MSRP. So even with shipping clear across the country from Mark Dodge I'm still going to save probably $5k. Since my re-order is probably going to come in late April or early May, I'll look into the road trip plan again at that point.
Ordered!

70runner

Reaction score
Rob Trachtman at Tuttle Click CDJR in Irvine quoted me 2% under invoice with Tread Lightly membership. I finished up going with Mark Dodge, but Rob had a very good price and seemed a really decent guy from my interactions with him. He's at [email protected], send him your build and see what he says.
Interesting. I must have called 20 socal dealers when shopping last year. T Click was one of them, but don't think it was Rob. Anyway, like virtually every other socal dealer, Click was acting like MSRP was a great deal. Ordered with Bud Clary Auburn WA, 6.3% below invoice before incentives.

70runner

Reaction score
I would have flown down to CA and picked it up from Rob and driven it back to OR, .... but .... if I did that he would have to charge me CA sales tax.
I believe sales tax is charged for the state a vehicle is registered. When I picked up my truck at Bud Clary in Auburn WA, they gave me a temporary registration so I could drive it home and didn't charge sales tax. I paid the tax when I registered the truck in socal. If an out of state dealer does add sales tax, it should be calculated for the state it will be registered in.

mike146

Reaction score
I believe sales tax is charged for the state a vehicle is registered. When I picked up my truck at Bud Clary in Auburn WA, they gave me a temporary registration so I could drive it home and didn't charge sales tax. I paid the tax when I registered the truck in socal. If an out of state dealer does add sales tax, it should be calculated for the state it will be registered in.
Correct. Just did this with Mark Dodge. No sales tax. I have to pay tax when I register in NY.

TSL

Reaction score
I was confused by this too. I still have his email, here verbatim are his words from his email to me :

"invoice is 59362 so your net price is 58174 plus 85 doc fee and 8.75 ca tire fee, if I ship the car to you (via normal carrier). or if you flew down to pick it up, I would have to charge, tax at 7.75 percent, 85 doc fee, 20 dollars for a one way trip permit. so shipping is the most logical.. shipping costs are usually from here to there usually run about 1000-1200 bucks so depending how much off msrp the dealer is willing to take, it may not make sense to do business down here.. let me know"

I spoke to him on the phone as well and queried this. I asked is it because the car drives off your lot under it's own power vs getting trucked out ? No, it's not that he said, it's something to do with me being physically present to pick it up ( I think, if I followed him right ).
the only other similar thing I can find is that just recently I was looking at this cool gadget :

It's made in CA and they can ship it for $600, but if you drive down to have them fit it to your truck ( which would be handy ), they have to charge you CA sales tax. So there it is again, same idea, not with a car but with something else.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Word has it that Ram will have a price increase tomorrow at midnight. So, if you’re on the fence of ordering, tomorrow is the last day before yet another price increase.

testcrewman

Reaction score
Correct. Just did this with Mark Dodge. No sales tax. I have to pay tax when I register in NY.
Did they give you the option to pay tax? Renae told me they would charge tax and that my trade in would save me some of the taxes I'd have to pay.

mike146

Reaction score
Did they give you the option to pay tax? Renae told me they would charge tax and that my trade in would save me some of the taxes I'd have to pay.
Yes they did give option, but i did not have trade in. They would still do it, but would have delayed me getting truck. Rather have truck ASAP and spend some time at DMV then wait longer. Having it shipped. Due to arrive this Friday.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
Word has it that Ram will have a price increase tomorrow at midnight. So, if you’re on the fence of ordering, tomorrow is the last day before yet another price increase.
Ironic that Ram website finally updated their pricing to match actual dealer system just in time for another price increase.

Users who are viewing this thread