5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
No, doesn't include taxes. Figure that's the same everywhere. I checked Phillip's site and they don't have the build I want on the lot. Aaron does...I guess that's the price to pay to get it sooner rather than later. Thanks Silent Bob
I live in SoCal and curious about buying a new truck from out of state.
How much are you paying to get it shipped over?
Does the out-of-state dealership handle all the paperwork to get it registered in Cali?
What about out-of-state RAMs and CARB compliance?
That's it for my questions ;)

SBrentnall

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Looking to get a Ram 1500 Limited. Wanted to see if this was a good deal.

MSRP $78,985
with 0% financing $69,235
conventional financing $67,985

I'm in CA and it's better than any of the deals I can find around here. What do you guys think? Thanks!
Try Phillip Olson at Bud Clary in WA. I'm also in S. Cal and he gave me 15.3% off MRSP before rebates. And it's about $1 per mile to ship it to me in Los Angeles, which was way less than the amount I saved by buying through him.

SBrentnall

Reaction score
I live in SoCal and curious about buying a new truck from out of state.
How much are you paying to get it shipped over?
Does the out-of-state dealership handle all the paperwork to get it registered in Cali?
What about out-of-state RAMs and CARB compliance?
That's it for my questions ;)
I just ordered from Phillip Olson at Bud Clary in WA. They said it's about $1 per mile to get it shipped to Los Angeles. They can help you with the other questions - they do a ton of out-of-state sales.

Btw I also talked to local dealers and they all laughed at the idea of matching Phillip's price.

mtehonica

Reaction score
It doesnt make sense to me to factor in the "0% savings" because it's not apples to apple comparisons then. I get what everyone is saying with the 0% loan is "worth $XXXX" - but you shouldn't be factoring in that "savings"... if we're factoring that in then my deal was really...

MSRP: $75,290
Sale Price: $64,140 (+$219 dealer fee)
Discounts: $3,000
Savings from 0% financing (based on $61,359 @ 2.39%): $4,566
% off MSRP: 24.5%

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It doesnt make sense to me to factor in the "0% savings" because it's not apples to apple comparisons then. I get what everyone is saying with the 0% loan is "worth $XXXX" - but you shouldn't be factoring in that "savings"... if we're factoring that in then my deal was really...

Definitely agree, for this threads comparison sake it is irrelevant. The things I posted were more for personal reference on a per person basis and hopefully to help someone make the better decision for their situation.

mtehonica

Reaction score
Definitely agree, for this threads comparison sake it is irrelevant. The things I posted were more for personal reference on a per person basis and hopefully to help someone make the better decision for their situation.
Yup, that makes total sense. For each person the situation is different so it skews this comparison discussion. People should also consider the interest they will pay based on how long they will actually keep the vehicle/loan, not just the total.

1ramrunner

Reaction score
How Front-Loaded Loans Work

A repayment mortgage is, by definition, a front-loaded loan. That's because in the early years most of your payments go to paying off the interest. Only a small portion goes toward the principal. As you get deeper into the mortgage term, it switches so the interest portion decreases and you're paying off more of the principal each month.

Why? It's because the lender calculates the interest based on the current outstanding balance of the loan. This balance will start high and decrease as you gradually pay back the principal. The less principal you owe, the less interest will be charged.

Front-Loading Interest In Action

For example, imagine that you've taken out a 30-year repayment mortgage for $100,000 at a fixed interest rate of 4 percent annually. Per month, you'll pay $477 excluding insurance and taxes – that's $5,724 per year. We'll work with the annual figures to make the math easier.

In the first year, the interest charge will be $4,000 ($100,000 x 4 percent), with the remaining $1,724 ($5,724 - $4,000) going toward the principal. The outstanding mortgage balance as you enter year two is $98,276 ($100,000 - $1,724). In year two, your payments will stay the same ($5,724 per year), but now the interest charge will be approximately $3,931 ($98,276 x 4 percent) while the principal payment will be $1,793 ($5,724 - $3,931). That's $69 more per year going toward the principal portion of the loan.

Over time, the portion of the payment that's allocated toward the principal will get larger, and the portion allocated to the interest will get smaller. That's because you've paid money toward the principal amount, thus reducing it, and the interest is calculated on a smaller balance.

Great explanation Bob. Here;s a little tip to saving money on any loan, easy in the earlier months/years. If there is no penalty for extra payments, just double the amount to principal. this will take 1 payment off the end of the loan. It's easier in the beginning because the amount to principal is lowest. In Bob's example above, if you paid a total extra of $1,724 you would shorten the loan by 1 year.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
$67985 is a 13.92% decrease of $78,985

In my opinion you should be getting at least 16% off the MSRP including rebates and incentives. The total number you should be using to determine your percentage off should include the total (with rebates and incentives) before trade in, taxes, and any required government fees. Your number should include dealer add-ons you did not request and any dealer fees not listed on the factory invoice, document fees, prep fees, etc. You can use one of these two links to find the factory MSRP and invoice price of the truck and all options. LINK LINK

Keep in mind that some trim levels, typically Big Horn, often have much larger incentives allowing them to get into the larger percentage off.

Special financing, such as the current 0%, will also skew these numbers. Another way to calculate if you are getting a good deal is that you want 5% to 8% off the invoice price before incentives/rebates.

Try For More 14% to 15%
Good Discount 16% to 18%
Great Discount 19% to 23%
Amazingly Rare Discount 24% or more
Aaron doesn't seem to want to budge on the price. Seems like if you go 0%, you lose the rebates. The only rebates offered in my area are $1250 and $500, and you lose the $1250 one if you go 0% financing. Looks like the south gets an additional $1000 that we don't have in my area.

Howie Dub

Reaction score

May I ask where you got your deal from and when was it? Thanks!

Howie Dub

Reaction score
I just ordered from Phillip Olson at Bud Clary in WA. They said it's about $1 per mile to get it shipped to Los Angeles. They can help you with the other questions - they do a ton of out-of-state sales.

Btw I also talked to local dealers and they all laughed at the idea of matching Phillip's price.
Only thing is that they don't have what I'm looking for and it sounds like having one built is taking a long time.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, that makes total sense. For each person the situation is different so it skews this comparison discussion. People should also consider the interest they will pay based on how long they will actually keep the vehicle/loan, not just the total.

Absolutely, I figured the minimum I would keep my truck is 3 years. So in my particular case, at 3 years I would save about $3,000 in interest (out of the $4,000 overall) vs the $1250 rebate. I don't see that rebate increasing much if at all so more than likely I will be sticking with the 0%. Very good point regarding planned length of ownership, and important to take that into consideration as well.

ShadowRam

Reaction score
Well, ended up ordering my limited. MSRP was $74,940. Sale price ended up being $61,711 with fees without Penfed or Ram coupon. Hoping that when I go to pick it up the rebates will end up being better, get the penfed and coupon added and I'll end up somewhere between the 20-23% discount I was hoping for. Big thanks to everyone in this thread.

mtehonica

Reaction score
What did you do to get that deal from him? Also, is it an ordered deal, or did you get one off the lot?
I was going to order but he ended up getting a delivery that was exactly what I wanted so I snagged it as soon as it showed up. Ordering vs on the lot inventory pricing was the same.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
I was going to order but he ended up getting a delivery that was exactly what I wanted so I snagged it as soon as it showed up. Ordering vs on the lot inventory pricing was the same.
Thanks! Did you negotiate with him or was that the initial price he gave you? 0% financing as well?

Last edited:

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Well, ended up ordering my limited. MSRP was $74,940. Sale price ended up being $61,711 with fees without Penfed or Ram coupon. Hoping that when I go to pick it up the rebates will end up being better, get the penfed and coupon added and I'll end up somewhere between the 20-23% discount I was hoping for. Big thanks to everyone in this thread.
May I ask where did you get your deal from and how did you get your price so low? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread