5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ouch! That’s a hefty sales tax. Do you guys also have to pay county or registration tax on top of sales tax? For example, I’ll have to pay a county tax of about $1,300 on a $75k truck before i can get my license plate issued.

Ah, they always get you somewhere I suppose! Just registration and inspections here, probably cost a couple hundred every 2 years. I believe our county rate is included in the sales tax paid before you can get plates issued, which makes a total for my county of 8.25% sales tax.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I've seen a review where you can turn off the auto shutoff at lights in the settings.
The only way to shut it off is to use an Autostop Eliminator. We own two of them for our Rams - worth every penny.

Horty222

Reaction score
Do you mind sharing some details about your Maxima? And your selling transaction? I just listed my 2012 with 140 K earlier this week
Sure. Had 104k miles. No warning or engine lights. Overall condition was very good cosmetically and mechanically sound. Little bit of rim rash but not bad at all. The rep that came did not even drive the car. I owed almost 9k for it and they offered 8.4.k so I had to write a cashier's check for the difference. 20210412_132327.jpg

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Sure. Had 104k miles. No warning or engine lights. Overall condition was very good cosmetically and mechanically sound. Little bit of rim rash but not bad at all. The rep that came did not even drive the car. I owed almost 9k for it and they offered 8.4.k so I had to write a cashier's check for the difference. View attachment 89539
Who did you sell it to?

RJS

Reaction score
In many states, the problem with selling to another dealer, or a third-party, is that you lose the tax benefit on the trade. Typically the tax benefit far outweighs the additional money you got by selling it elsewhere.
You make an excellent point about checking with the state you reside in. Michigan says you don't pay sales tax on the difference until you check the numbers. They only allow a maximum difference of $5000 or $300 at 6% sales tax. Not as much as one would think so it pays to check.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you buy a new car and trade in your old car, the amount of sales tax you pay depends on state and local sales tax rates and whether the taxable purchase price is figured before or after you subtract your trade-in allowance. In most states, you will pay the sales tax on the value of your new car minus the amount of your trade-in.

Seven States Do Not Allow Trade-In Tax Credit

The following 7 states, as of 9/2020, do not offer tax credit on trades.

California

Hawaii

Illinois

Kentucky

Maryland

Michigan

Virginia

In the following 3 states, it is not an issue, as they do not charge sales tax:

Montana

New Hampshire

Oregon

So if your state is not listed above, you are able to get the taxable amount in a transaction reduced by the amount of the trade-in item.,

That list is not accurate.

As of 1/1/20 Illinois allows a tax credit on trade-in value up to $10,000 (prior to that it was full tax benefit)

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AutoNation will cut a check on the spot.

Good to know, thanks for posting that. Only downside it looks like (for me) is that their closest location is right outside nyc. Not the worst drive from here, just hate driving down to that part of the state. For $1500 more though, probably would just do it. If carvana was within say $500, I would definitely go with them and save myself that trip.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking at maybe getting a new build from Phillip or Aaron. Couple questions...

Anyone know if blind spot and cross path can be added later? If so how difficult is it? If I order a Longhorn without it, does it come with the BSM-ready mirrors?

Can multi-function tailgate be used with a truck cap?

I love the interior of the Longhorn, but don't like the price or want all the options (12" screen, power running boards, HK system) of the Level 1 Longhorn group, but you need that to get BSM.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking at maybe getting a new build from Phillip or Aaron. Couple questions...

Anyone know if blind spot and cross path can be added later? If so how difficult is it? If I order a Longhorn without it, does it come with the BSM-ready mirrors?

Can multi-function tailgate be used with a truck cap?

I love the interior of the Longhorn, but don't like the price or want all the options (12" screen, power running boards, HK system) of the Level 1 Longhorn group, but you need that to get BSM.
As someone whose Laramie build had to be downgraded from the desired Level 1 Tech to the Level A Tech package...that bolded part is THE question.

I'll be interested in adding blind spot and cross path in later, if it's plug-and-play. My hope is that the wiring harness is there for it, and that the Body Control Module includes allowances for it. Maybe it's time for me to look at junkyards for 2019+ Rams and pull the sensors off?

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As someone whose Laramie build had to be downgraded from the desired Level 1 Tech to the Level A Tech package...that bolded part is THE question.

I'll be interested in adding blind spot and cross path in later, if it's plug-and-play. My hope is that the wiring harness is there for it, and that the Body Control Module includes allowances for it. Maybe it's time for me to look at junkyards for 2019+ Rams and pull the sensors off?
Ok this is something that I have not been able to find much information on, and the dealerships I have talked to about this have also been stumped. What is the difference between Level A and Level B (because the ramtrucks.com website has ZERO information on this) and how do these two options differ from the Level 1 and Level 2 groups they were called in March?

Troutbeck27

Reaction score
Ok this is something that I have not been able to find much information on, and the dealerships I have talked to about this have also been stumped. What is the difference between Level A and Level B (because the ramtrucks.com website has ZERO information on this) and how do these two options differ from the Level 1 and Level 2 groups they were called in March?
Difference between Level 1/2 vs Level A/B is Blindspot Monitoring and Cross Traffic Alert. No idea on A call B.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Or I guess I should ask, why did your build have to be downgraded? (don't say chip shortage, don't say chip shortage,...)

Every20years

Reaction score
The chip shortage is going to get worse before it gets better. Order your trucks now or be prepared for a long wait or not getting exactly what you want.
Ordering now will still be a long wait unless you choose the base models without the safety features.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or I guess I should ask, why did your build have to be downgraded? (don't say chip shortage, don't say chip shortage,...)

My build had to be downgraded because I ordered the 6'4" bed with MFT. No way can they figure out how to work blindspot with that combo.

KIDDING! (C'mon: how many times have you been frustrated by things like that?)

The real reason? Chip shortage.

They'll only put the blind spot/cross traffic chips in Limited and up trim levels (AIUI).

So, I'd like to add it later. But, if that's too expensive or not an option, no worries. I'll just remember I'm driving a truck.

Reaction score
Here you go. Hope these come through okay, I took screenshots from window stickers of trucks online.

As others have said, Blind Spot monitoring is the difference. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210414-194137_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210414-194137_Drive.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20210414-194059_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210414-194059_Drive.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20210414-194012_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210414-194012_Drive.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20210414-193921_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210414-193921_Drive.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 46

JWhigham

Reaction score
So I had been looking locally (Georgia) for a Ram 1500 Limited with the Limited 1 Package and the Technology Group. The MSRP for those options are somewhere around 72k but all the dealerships around here say the sales price is around 68k. I know there is room for negotiation, but in other parks of the country I see trucks with the same options for around 58k after a dealer discount. I actually bought a Night Edition from Mark Dodge Chrysler Jeep in Louisiana for just over 59k but after we completed all the paperwork and I was going to fly and pick it up but they told me that there had been a problem with paint during transport.

My question is how are some dealerships offering an additional 10k off other than normal rebates and how much additional do you think I could get off that?

Users who are viewing this thread