5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

69Safari

Reaction score
OK, I'm following Silent Bob's advice and have sent my factory build for a maxed out 2021 RAM 1500 Longhorn Limited to a dozen or so dealers. Koons in Virginia (Craig Benner) and Mack Dodge in Louisiana (Aaron Ginsburgh) have been very responsive. They do it differently but both are offering the equivalent of 14% off the $75,415 MSRP before rebates, incentives, etc. What do you think? Can I do better? And if so, where?

Reaction score
What state are you in? There's two dealers that will do 6% off invoice on orders in the North East.
And another dealer going 7% off invoice in Florida.
I ordered from the Florida Lakeland dealer, roughly 15%ish off from MSRP before rebates and incentives on my Limited build.

I looked at your PDF, it looks like they're giving you invoice price.
Lakeland would beat that by 7%.
That's a $3568 difference.
And that's again, before rebates and incentives.

If you're close to Florida, or in Florida. You might want to consider that.
Texas here and thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. I am trying to contact as many local dealers who would reply to my communication.

rtslab

Reaction score
What state are you in? There's two dealers that will do 6% off invoice on orders in the North East.
And another dealer going 7% off invoice in Florida.
I ordered from the Florida Lakeland dealer, roughly 15%ish off from MSRP before rebates and incentives on my Limited build.

I looked at your PDF, it looks like they're giving you invoice price.
Lakeland would beat that by 7%.
That's a $3568 difference.
And that's again, before rebates and incentives.

If you're close to Florida, or in Florida. You might want to consider that.
For people live in Northwest, do you think it is wise to order from Lakeland and pay them to ship it from Florida to Northwest? The truck transportation fee across continent is around $1500. For some reason, RAM dealerd in Northwest barely offer discount as deep as those in Northeast or South like Florda or Texas.

dartbrooks

Reaction score
OK, I'm following Silent Bob's advice and have sent my factory build for a maxed out 2021 RAM 1500 Longhorn Limited to a dozen or so dealers. Koons in Virginia (Craig Benner) and Mack Dodge in Louisiana (Aaron Ginsburgh) have been very responsive. They do it differently but both are offering the equivalent of 14% off the $75,415 MSRP before rebates, incentives, etc. What do you think? Can I do better? And if so, where?
I would go with Aaron at Mark Dodge. I am pretty sure Koons adds the destination charge back in at the end, which is like $1,600. Aaron at Mark Dodge won't do that. So you're around $1,600 cheaper going with Mark Dodge. Also, I think the fees are cheaper at Mark Dodge, but I don't remember exactly what Koons charges for fees.

dartbrooks

Reaction score
For people live in Northwest, do you think it is wise to order from Lakeland and pay them to ship it from Florida to Northwest? The truck transportation fee across continent is around $1500. For some reason, RAM dealerd in Northwest barely offer discount as deep as those in Northeast or South like Florda or Texas.
Dennis Dillon in Boise has some really good prices. They make you finance through them to get their top deals, but on my original build they ended up being cheaper than the East Coast dealerships. I ended up changing my mind and ordering a Laramie Southwest Edition, which Northwest dealers cannot order. So I went with Mark Dodge in Louisiana. They also have great pricing and you do not have to finance through them to get their best price. Personally, I'm just gonna fly to Louisiana and drive my truck back to Idaho. But I would imagine the shipping would be cheaper from Louisiana than Florida if you wanted to go that route.

Venom700

Reaction score
I would go with Aaron at Mark Dodge. I am pretty sure Koons adds the destination charge back in at the end, which is like $1,600. Aaron at Mark Dodge won't do that. So you're around $1,600 cheaper going with Mark Dodge. Also, I think the fees are cheaper at Mark Dodge, but I don't remember exactly what Koons charges for fees.
Yes check the destination differences. And the dealer fees are around $6-700 cheaper at Mark Dodge. They even use zoom to go over all of the final paperwork with you to make sure everything looks good to you before sending you the documents to sign.

Reaction score
Do any of you know if any of these high-volume dealers will take an internet or phone order and then ship the truck? I don't mind traveling by car for around 400 miles or so, but traveling any further by air right now is not so great due to Covid. I would then also have to quarantine for two weeks when I got back because of state mandates which I can't do due to my job. If only times were normal. If the prices are as good as being reported here, it would be worth the cost of freight which I figure would be around $800-$1000.

I live in New England. Does anyone know of a high-volume dealer in Maine, Northern NY, CT, VT, MA, or NH? All of these would be in driving distance.
I would be glad to order your truck and ship it to you once it arrives. [email protected]

ramtruck89

Reaction score

AK103

Reaction score

You can. Lakeland Ram in FL -
7% off invoice.
Koons is only doing 6%

69Safari

Reaction score
Koons adds in a "899 processing fee." I'm still waiting for an explanation of that as well as a written quote that might clear up the destination fee. Mark Dodge shows the destination fee as part of the MSRP with the only other charge being a $200 documentation fee, $4 temp tag fee, and $15 notary fee.

baccigalup

Reaction score
Yes check the destination differences. And the dealer fees are around $6-700 cheaper at Mark Dodge. They even use zoom to go over all of the final paperwork with you to make sure everything looks good to you before sending you the documents to sign.
I cant say i was crazy about the finance department at koons....they seem a bit shady. I was forced to apply for a bank loan with them as a hold contract even though i had my own financing but didnt have my check in hand..and they dont do wire transfers, which i never heard of before from any dealership and i found out last minute so had no time to overnight my check before i went there. They got my check the next day from my bank and i still have not received any confirmation they ripped the hold contract from finance other than from craig. Im good with his verbal but Thats the only part of the deal that made me uneasy.. i was not charged double dest fees or anything else like that. Craig is very good to work with and always very responsive. He answers all my calls and follows up...more than other dealers are.. hes not gonna negotiate with you much because he is strictly volume and pushes out cars like a machine. Its pretty straightforward..6 percent off invoice and another .5 for affiliate..dest fee 899. he gives you the buyer order and there were no suprises....i guess if you dont deal with him then you are not getting the group buy and all bets are off..koons doesnt have the best of reviews for some of those reasons and i guess because its a volume dealership its expected....the place is huge. I think your in good hands if you deal with him. I lost on my trade because i had a prior accident and i didnt do it in person..i expected as much so it is what it is..beat the hell out of having to rent a car to get mine. I tried to sell it on my own but i needed over 2000 to break even for taxes and rental and i wasnt getting it.

Go with your money in hand and there should be no tricks like that.
Ram plays with rebates and the rules always change...i was saved a bit by the 1500 cash back and non fca.

DanoUF

Reaction score
Here's a direct quote from Craig's email when I first inquired prior to ordering my truck. The Italicized last paragraph explains why the some people reported having the destination charge added back on. I personally don't like that trick as it makes the WOW price seem better than it actually is, unfortunately in the greater DC area almost every dealership I looked at plays that game. At least that's not a thing if you go through Craig and do a factory order.

"Now due to low inventory, I can only do the Group Discount on factory orders only. So if you are looking for the Group Discount of 6%, under invoice, it would have to be a factory order. Otherwise if you are looking at something in stock, it would be whatever the WOW price is plus freight, tax, tags and processing.

If you are looking at an in-stock vehicle, what is the vin number or the stock number? You can check out my inventory here; https://www.koonsjeep.com/new-inventory/index.htm

Usually factory orders take about 6-7 weeks, however I can not promise that. Once I submit the order to the factory, it is beyond my control. But usually factory orders take 6-7 weeks. However, with current events, that is indeed subject to take longer and is out of my control. Now the 6% under invoice does require financing through Chrysler Capital at which all you need to do is make 3 payments and either pay it off or refinance elsewhere if needed . So it would be whatever the invoice is, less 6% (Must Finance with Chrysler Capital or loose 1,000), plus tax, tags and 899 processing.

The difference between the Group Buy and WOW price is that the WOW is always changing, all the paperwork has to be done before months end and does not include the factory destination, so that fee would have to be added back in. Compared to the Group Buy where it would be invoice, less the % off, plus tax, tags and 899 processing as the destination is already included. "

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Roughly how much more is a comparable 21 vs a leftover 20 right now?
It really depends on the dealer and the deal you can get.

I started looking last November and purchased in December. Found a '20 Laramie Night Edition w/ MSRP about $62k. Best deal they were offering was $52k. Found a similar '21 with more options and MSRP at $64k, bought it for $48k (before my $1500 coupon).

It's fun being on the phone with dealers as they're saying "....that's almost 10k off, I thought you'd be more excited about it!" 😅

EDIT: To add a little more - if you find a leftover '20 like you want, you can try the dealer or you might have better luck contacting a near by high volumn dealer to see if they can get the truck and do a better price. When I was searching around, almost every dealer I contacted was able to give me their internet advertised price (or close), but was generally not willing to take off much more, that '20 that I passed up for example. I didn't haggle any dealer hard this time, I just collected a lot of quote and went with the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online