5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

slick300

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 1500 Big Horn last night. It's got the Big Horn Level 2, premium lighting, UConnect 12, Alpine speaker upgrade, 3.92 rear end, 20" rims/tires, 5.7L eTorque, 23 gallon tank, trailer brake control, and blind spot monitoring. MSRP was $55,840 and I paid $45,655 out the door with negative equity on my trade. I know, I know. I shouldn't deal with negative equity, but the interest rate on the truck is almost 2% lower than my old car's interest rate so I see it like a refinance on part of my old car loan. And even with the negative equity I'm still paying 10k under MSRP after taxes so I felt it was a good deal.

Sounds like a nicely equipped truck and a nice deal on it! MSRP of trucks I'm eyeing are right around the same ($55k - $56k), but having trouble getting anyone down past mid-$47's. What area are you located?

Amerinamese

Reaction score
Sounds like a nicely equipped truck and a nice deal on it! MSRP of trucks I'm eyeing are right around the same ($55k - $56k), but having trouble getting anyone down past mid-$47's. What area are you located?

I bought it at Winner's Circle in Hampton, VA. Frankly, I was surprised they came down to that price. They originally offered $51k OTD and I told them I wasn't looking to spend more than $45k and was getting ready to leave thinking there was no way they would drop another $6k. Then the sales manager said if I finance through them they can work the discounts to get me to $45,655 OTD. The interest rate they offered me was only .1% more than I was already prequalified for through my bank.

slatersan

Reaction score
Does your 2020 truck (eTorque I'll assume) have the 2 lower clip-style anchors on the rear passenger side as well? What you've described sounds like just the LATCH top tether anchor. If FCA has an alternate car seat retention mechanism designed for that side on the eTorque models, that might be good info to share with the forum. (Pics would help a lot!)

Once Carl confirmed that lower anchors were not present on one side for the 2021 eTorque model (rear passenger side only) , I didn't want to risk ordering the vehicle with this option only to find an important child safety feature was missing. I'm happy to be corrected if this is not a true statement.
2020 Laramie w/ etorque, July build. Passenger and driver's side rear seats have both the lower rear metal LATCH attachment points ( i want to say they are federally mandated on all cars) and top tethers.

Looked and LATCH points are required in at least 2 of the rear seating positions in any car that isn't a bus or a convertible.

From https://www.carseat.org/Legal/622_Latch.htm
Vehicle Requirements:
  • User-ready top tether strap anchorage hardware (such as a ring, bar, bracket, or webbing loop) for three rear seating positions were available in most passenger vehicles beginning with model year 2000 and were required in all cars, minivans, and pick-up trucks by model year 2001.
  • Lower anchors for child restraints, each consisting of two rigid bars 6 mm in diameter and 25-50 mm long, are present in the vehicle seat bight (the crack between the seat back and seat cushion) in specified seating positions in all cars, minivans, and pick-up trucks after September 1, 2002 (model year 2003). and in many made before that date.
  • Requirements apply to all passenger cars, trucks, and multipurpose passenger vehicles under 8500 lbs.; also apply to buses under 10,000 lbs.
  • Current belt lockability requirement remains effective until September 1, 2012, so child restraints without new hardware can be attached with regular vehicle belts. After that date, only vehicle belts in seating positions without lower anchorage systems must meet lockability requirement (capable of securing a child restraint without added equipment, such as a locking clip).
Vehicle Exceptions:

• No tether anchorage hardware is required for convertible cars or school buses.
  • A built-in child restraint can replace the required anchorage system in one rear seating position.
  • At least one front seating position must have the required anchorage system if the vehicle has an air bag cut-off switch and has either no rear seat or a rear seat too small for a rear-facing child restraint.

I'd recommend putting hands on a 2021 to confirm the absense of LATCH points on the rear passenger.

FastnGarnet

Reaction score
I factory ordered my 2021 from Koons last week and it was a great no-BS interaction with Craig.
Here's my data point for everyone's benefit:

2021 Ram 1500 Limited (4x4, Crew Cab 5' 7" bed)
  • 5.7L V8 Hemi (non-eTorque)
  • Limited Level 1 Equipment Group
  • Technology Group
  • Rambox Cargo Management System
  • Bed Utility Group
  • Trailer Brake Control
  • 33-gal Fuel Tank
MSRP: $67,715
Invoice: $62,103
Vehicle Price: $58,377 (~6% below invoice, ~15% below MSRP)
OTD = Vehicle price - any rebates at time of delivery + Koons $899 doc fee + Texas tax and registration

Even factoring in travel costs from Houston to VA and back, they had most competitive OTD price of the 5 dealers I was working with and the responsiveness was good enough to make the distance less of a concern. I signed and returned the buyer form to Craig by email, paid a deposit online and the order was placed immediately.

Could the Koons price be beaten? Possibly, but weigh it against the time and effort needed to haggle with dealers - many of whom don't work over email, just want your phone number to spam or insist that you come into the dealership so they can apply pressure tactics.

BTW - I was tempted to order the eTorque version, but discovered that these models apparently do NOT have car seat anchors on the rear passenger side seat (maybe position of the battery pack behind this area?).
So for those with 2 young kids, this makes eTorque a non-starter!

Decisions are made, and now the waiting game for delivery begins.....

After reading this I had to go out and look at my truck.

2020 Laramie w/ ETorque and I have anchors on both sides. I would be surprised if they did away with this in 2021.

bramesh

Reaction score
After reading this I had to go out and look at my truck.

2020 Laramie w/ ETorque and I have anchors on both sides. I would be surprised if they did away with this in 2021.
Thanks for confirming. I've edited my original post with this info.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2020 Ram Limited. Sticker 66.4k, paid 54.4k.
FCA affiliate number, rebates and discount from dealer for being a demo model with 2800 miles.

Also got 25.5k for a trade that one dealer offered 26k, and two other dealers offered 22k-23k.

Only wish was that they would have cleaned it better and waxed it (had polishing xompound on various pieces and plenty of swirls in black paint).
Pretty decent deal, ahh the tribulations of black paint. Theres an older thread on that. Lots of detail from a couple members who are detailers.

Amerinamese

Reaction score

The dealership I bought from was the third one I went to. The first two I looked at were Laramies priced about the same as the Big Horn I ended up with. The first two dealers wouldn't budge off $48k out the door and told me I should look at Big Horns if I wanted to pay around $45k. So, that's what I did and I found a Big Horn that was priced the same as a Laramie and still got what I wanted. I guess the deals on Big Horns are bigger than the Laramie. I'm happy with the Big Horn because it has pretty much everything I wanted plus the 12" screen which I wouldn't have found in a Laramie for $55k MSRP. The only thing I wish I had that the Laramie has is the passive entry. My last car had the little button on the handle to lock and unlock the car and I keep finding myself trying to do that with the Big Horn. I'll eventually get used to using the key FOB to do that I guess.

dbjonesjr

Reaction score
The dealership I bought from was the third one I went to. The first two I looked at were Laramies priced about the same as the Big Horn I ended up with. The first two dealers wouldn't budge off $48k out the door and told me I should look at Big Horns if I wanted to pay around $45k. So, that's what I did and I found a Big Horn that was priced the same as a Laramie and still got what I wanted. I guess the deals on Big Horns are bigger than the Laramie. I'm happy with the Big Horn because it has pretty much everything I wanted plus the 12" screen which I wouldn't have found in a Laramie for $55k MSRP. The only thing I wish I had that the Laramie has is the passive entry. My last car had the little button on the handle to lock and unlock the car and I keep finding myself trying to do that with the Big Horn. I'll eventually get used to using the key FOB to do that I guess.
Did you talk any numbers on Laramies? I'm shopping in the same general area. Where else did you try?

Amerinamese

Reaction score
Did you talk any numbers on Laramies? I'm shopping in the same general area. Where else did you try?
I went to Pomoco CDJR in Newport News and Quinn Motors in Gloucester. I like the Laramie in Gloucester best. It was white with the bed utility package and 20 inch rims. The one I looked at in Pomoco was a pretty basic Laramie build. Their quotes were pretty identical at around $48k OTD even though the MSRP for the one in Gloucester was 1k more.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
Seems like alot of folks have traveled far to buy from koons. So for those who have purchased at koons, how was the experience. Some of the online reviews are not very good, but I hear no complaints from here so far, only good experiences.

This is a repost of my August 8th post of my experience with Koons:
Aug 8, 2020
I picked up my 2020 Limited yesterday from Koons. My experience From start to finish from Koons was very good! I ordered my truck on 4/27. My order was for 8% under “invoice” plus rebates at time of sale plus TTL and $799 doc fee. NOTE: As most know, Koons went from 8% under invoice to 6% under and doc fee went up to $899. Craig states truck sales have not slowed down even through COVID and that’s why they were backing off the deeper discount. So take that for what it’s worth to you. It was delivered to the dealer on 7/6. Due to personal travel and a delayed graduation, I wasn’t able to get there till this week (Friday). The numbers stayed the same and did not change from when I ordered the truck till I finalized the sale yesterday. No junk fees were added nor any add ons. They did however try to sell an extended warranty like all dealers do. But I told the finance lady that I decline the extended warranty. She wanted to still tell me about what all it covers and then I could say no. After she finished, I smiled and said no Thank You. There was no pressure or hard sell attempted after I said no. All documents were clear and very easy to understand and there were no math games played like a lot of dealers do when you get to the finance office at a dealership. We were in the finance office maybe 10 minutes max. I did get my own loan before I left home and had the Cashiers Check in hand. Done!

MSRP = $68,605
8% under Invoice = $57,884.56
Rebates =$1,500
Final before TTL = $56,334

I live in Atlanta Metro area so we had to drive the truck home. We toured the DC area for a while then hit the road. Stopped for a hotel stay on the way home. We were in no rush to get home. It was right at 650 mile trip. I am very happy to report the Hemi with 3.21 gears achieved 21.5 MPG! That’s according to the trucks onboard computer. I know this is not the most reliable but based on my 2013 RAM wasn’t far off. Having the 33 gallon tank was nice with a full tank range of over 700 miles per the truck computer.

So I have to say that I LOVE this truck!! The ride quality, quite cabin, sound system etc. etc. etc were phenomenal!!!! And one last thing..............So far, my A/C works GREAT!!! It blows very cold air and we kept it on 3 or 4 fan speed most of the time even with the Pano shield open. So far no complaints!!! Fingers crossed!!

For those considering ordering a 2021 or getting a new 2020 lot truck, I was told that the new Uconnect 5 will be available on the 2021 MY in the 2nd half of 2021.

Ok that’s my report......Good Luck to everyone on your trucks!!

Grouper

Reaction score
... My order was for 8% under “invoice” plus rebates at time of sale plus TTL and $799 doc fee. NOTE: As most know, Koons went from 8% under invoice to 6% under and doc fee went up to $899. Craig states truck sales have not slowed down even through COVID and that’s why they were backing off the deeper discount. So take that for what it’s worth to you...

...For those considering ordering a 2021 or getting a new 2020 lot truck, I was told that the new Uconnect 5 will be available on the 2021 MY in the 2nd half of 2021.
I ordered with Craig on 9/24 and as stated, it was 6% off FWP. But I emailed Craig yesterday with my Affiliates Rewards number and he took off another half percent. It's not a lot, but it's something.

And if they start putting UConnect 5 in 2021's later this year, I'll be pissed :)

Last edited:

Rau

Reaction score
I ordered with Craig on 9/24 and a stated, it was 6% off FWP. But I emailed Craig yesterday with my Affiliates Rewards number and he took off another half percent. It's not a lot, but it's something.

And if they start putting UConnect 5 in 2021's later this year, I'll be pissed :)

What is UConnect 5 about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laramie4x4

Reaction score
For those considering ordering a 2021 or getting a new 2020 lot truck, I was told that the new Uconnect 5 will be available on the 2021 MY in the 2nd half of 2021.

Told by whom? Is it a credible source? I'd be happy to postpone buying half a year to have wireless Apple Carplay

AK103

Reaction score
Told by whom? Is it a credible source? I'd be happy to postpone buying half a year to have wireless Apple Carplay

I have that in my infiniti right now. I still end up plugging my phone in due to the fact that running navigation obliterates the battery on the phone.

baccigalup

Reaction score
Ordered my ram today from craig. 6.5 under invoice with affiliate. Didnt quite make the 14 percent but very excited , it only took me a month or two to decide....
Silver laramie night ed 3.92 w rambox mft and a most of everything but air , offroad and tow pkg...
Taxes are a killer. Now we wait.
No one here would come close to the order price. Carl was 2 percent off as well Ill join the ranks and take a ride across a few states to save 2 grand....No turning back now

EJ84

Reaction score
Trying to decide if It’s worth it to take the $500.00 rebate and then refinance, has anyone had trouble with Chrysler trying to refinance there loan?

Morenar

Reaction score
Heads up, not sure if this has been posted here yet but I found this bonus cash through True car last night and used it today when I purchased my 2021 Ram Laramie. You do not need to get a quote through Truecar. Just need to have an account. I was able to add it to the $2000 Cash Allowance for 2021.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online