5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Grouper

Reaction score
Laramie: $2,000 or 0%/60 months with $1,000

Maybe I'm missing something but unless paying cash, it seems the 0%/60 +$1000 is a no brainer vs. the $2000.

Some quick math, making several assumptions, shows about $3100 interest paid on a $40K loan at 3% over 60 months.

Wsmith

Reaction score
I just ordered a well optioned '21 Longhorn. I emailed about 20 dealers within ~300 miles of me. Best price was about $1,800 under invoice according to NADA. Plus any rebates/discounts available when it's delivered. Not bad for exactly the options and colors I want on a brand new model year. Now the interminable waiting begins...
I wish that dealers in my area that would give a firm price by e-mail. Their websites advertise these silly low prices on line, when asked for a firm price the answer is always when can you come in. I pushed one dealer for a guaranteed price, going back and forth with him. Must have pissed him off as he came back with MSRP. Needless to say I looked no further at that dealership.

AK103

Reaction score
I wish that dealers in my area that would give a firm price by e-mail. Their websites advertise these silly low prices on line, when asked for a firm price the answer is always when can you come in. I pushed one dealer for a guaranteed price, going back and forth with him. Must have pissed him off as he came back with MSRP. Needless to say I looked no further at that dealership.

If COVID did anything it really solidified the notion that most dealers are stuck in the past and not capable of doing business in the digital age.
I lost count at how many times I never received an email back, or refusal to even discuss the vehicle over the phone.

After my final experience of agreeing on a price on the phone, only to be told 2k more once I arrived to purchase/pick-up the vehicle I gave up dealing with terrible South Florida dealers.
Koons will be getting my business on a Limited.

Wsmith

Reaction score
If COVID did anything it really solidified the notion that most dealers are stuck in the past and not capable of doing business in the digital age.
I lost count at how many times I never received an email back, or refusal to even discuss the vehicle over the phone.

After my final experience of agreeing on a price on the phone, only to be told 2k more once I arrived to purchase/pick-up the vehicle I gave up dealing with terrible South Florida dealers.
When I bought my 15 Silverado I dealt with the internet sales person by phone. When she finally did e-mail me a guaranteed quote, (the word guarantee was on the quote), I went in to finalize only to be told I didn't qualify for some rebates on the quote. We went back and forth about the definition of guarantee (ala Seinfeldt). I ultimately bought it as they pretty much made up the difference with an exceptional trade in offer.

tjsadler

Reaction score

It boggles my mind to see how many dealers are still doing things the old way and even more so how many people will just walk in off the street, "haggle" for hours, and then ultimately pay more than they would have if they just refused to deal with dealers like that. To quote the words of a very wise woman,,, "ain't nobody got time for that!" Everyone says they hate dealing with car dealers but 80-90% of car shoppers do it anyway. I don't get it. When I sent out my emails I was very explicit in my instructions to contact me by email only and then only with a quote or a question about the build. One salesperson actually called me 3 times in 5 minutes and then texted me to try to set an appt to come look at their inventory. I texted them back to say that if you can't read and understand a brief email then I'm not spending $60-70k with you so please remove me from your list and do NOT contact me again. Of the 20 dealers I emailed, only 6 got back to me with a price. Interestingly neither of the big dealers in Idaho even responded at all. I probably could have saved an additional ~$3k with Koons or Criswell but the shipping would have eaten a lot of that and the difference wasn't worth the extra headache of shipping cross-country after the sale.

Last edited:

EJ84

Reaction score
Did the rebates for 2020 big horns get worse? I don’t see any conquest cash

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much are dealers charging to install factory trailer brake controllers? Its a must have to me but too many trucks showing up without them.

You can get the parts on ebay for $150, then you need some module to program it which is probably about $50. Some videos on youtube on how to do it, looks to be about an hour job including programming. All you need are hand tools and a plastic trim piece tool.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did the rebates for 2020 big horns get worse? I don’t see any conquest cash

For Southern California I believe they did. I want to say that Big Horns had $6500 last month, and they went down to $5000 for October.

flyfingers

Reaction score
I realize good dealer discounts can be had toward the end of the year, but historically speaking, is there a general time of the year when rebates / factory incentives are higher?

laramie4x4

Reaction score

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CUUR0000SETA01
Oct/Nov has always been the best month. Apparently not going to happen this year due to the low inventory level.
It will still happen, COVID killed a lot of sales due to people being out of work and inventory being low, factorys are starting to pump cars out again so there will be inventory by year end and they are going to want to make up as much lost revenue as possible.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like they went down to me.
I thought bighorns had 6500 to 7000 last month . Limited and longhorn have been $1500 since May.
I bought a Laramie yesterday (Wisconsin). Rebates are $500 less today. They added $500 after Labor Day through the end of Sept.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Agree that dealers are not apt to give firm prices over email. I also agree that going to the dealership to hear them spew unknowledgeable BS just to give you a price finally after a couple hours is no fun. What I found to work the best is to first call the dealership and speak to a sales agent over the phone and ask them for rebates/pricing over the phone. This lets them know you are serious as you are taking the time to speak directly with them. Once they quote you a price you are happy with over the phone, then go in and meet that guy / gal in person and hold them to the deal and fend off the upsells.

hydrant328

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2020 Ram 1500, crew w5'7' bed, granite metallic, big horn 2, night edition, bed utility, premium lighting group, blind assist, hemi e-torque, underseat storage, all weather mats, 12" nav, 9 speakers. trailer brake, multi function tailgate. I searched high/low for truck with certain options, tailgate wasn't one of them. I'm in south fla and had a deal in Georgia on a truck in transit. But 2 weeks later, dealer says truck damaged when delivered. Found this on the west coast of Fla. Msrp: 54345. Did total negotiation by email. Actually had another dealer by there, trying to work a better deal and do a dealer swap. Got it down to 42800 and out the door, tax, tag title for 47300

baccigalup

Reaction score
I have tried a few local dealers to match the criswell and koons price and they don't even call back. Ill be ordering my truck soon screw the rebates at this point.
With covid coming back I'm not waiting it out till I see my build on the lot or the factory gets grounded

Grouper

Reaction score
Look at Ram’s site under incentives.

It’s at the bottom of the page.
Yes, I'm aware of the nationally advertised rebates on Ram's site.. But it seems there are frequently obscure rebates mentioned here that some, but not all, will qualify for (conquest, military, various other memberships and affiliations, etc).

I was wondering if there's a thread that lists all potential rebates.

Users who are viewing this thread