5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Bulldawg23

Reaction score
I had been looking for months and couldn't find the exact truck I was wanting so I then looked at building and when i saw the turnaround times on builds right now, i had my mind made up that i would just wait for the 2021's to start production and order a 2021. Now i'm seeing dealers getting more deliveries in with the production getting going again and have found one at a dealer. It has everything i want except it has the e-torque which i don't see as a deal breaker. It also has the level 2 equipment group and i was just looking for the level 1, but if the price makes sense, why not get the level 2. Oh and it also has the bed utility group which i don't necessarily have to have but not a deal breaker either. Thoughts on their price?

2020 Laramie 4x4 Sport/Off-Road/Bed Utility with Level 2 equipment group, 3.92 gears, 33 gal fuel tank, and 12 inch U-Connect

MSRP: $61,645
Dealer Discount: -$6,146
Rebate: -$3,000
Simoniz: +$995 (i asked if this could be removed and he said it has already been done. said he could drop the warranty and make it $300, but from what i hear the warranty is what makes it worth it)

Adjusted Price: $53,494
Taxes: $2,124.70
DMV Fees: $1,150.32

Final Price: $56,769.02

Ideally, I'd like to be under this. I missed out on one even closer to me yesterday by about 10 minutes. Everything was the same except it had the level 1 equipment group and the adjusted price after the dealer discount was $49k and some change. I'm waiting to hear back on some number from another dealer on one they have in transit. But so far, this is the only one that's close to the exact truck I'm wanting. I'd have about a 12 hour road trip to get this truck unless i decided to get it delivered.

Last edited:

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Does anyone put any stock into the KBB, Edmunds, and True Car fair purchase, true market value, market average, similar cars sold for prices? Common thought on this thread is we should be targeting 10-15% dealer discounts. When using any of those sites I typically see 8-9% or less as the prices they suggest paying, with KBB barely sneaking into 10-11% at the very bottom end of the their fair purchase range. Should the numbers on these sites be taken with a grain of salt since perhaps they’re in cahoots with the dealers and/or manufacturer? Or should I expect to lower my bar a little bit since most of this data is based on a zip code specific search and trucks may bring more money in my area than some others? When I’m ready to buy I won’t be afraid to travel, but also don’t want to throw out unrealistic numbers that won’t be taken seriously either.

Take with a grain of salt and use as a baseline.
Basically shoot for less than then average price.
Search YouTube as there are some videos with regards to these types of web sites.
Although they are providing an informative service, they are largely funded by the manufacturers.
Not sure how true but it was interesting info.

Jeepdinger

Reaction score
My understanding is that Truecar and some of the others are based on reported, actual transaction prices. The price ranges will include everyone. Including the people that fall for all the bait and switch and add-ons that a dealer will push. This forum thread is focused on those looking for the better deals. With a little shopping around based on the information here, you should be able to beat the normal price ranges shown on those sites. Remember, not everyone does research before purchasing a car. My 2 cents.

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
My understanding is that Truecar and some of the others are based on reported, actual transaction prices. The price ranges will include everyone. Including the people that fall for all the bait and switch and add-ons that a dealer will push. This forum thread is focused on those looking for the better deals. With a little shopping around based on the information here, you should be able to beat the normal price ranges shown on those sites. Remember, not everyone does research before purchasing a car. My 2 cents.

Agreed!! Your best advice and information will come from the guys and gals on this Forum!!

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
Same exact delivery for me too.. Koons also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I believe there will be 4-5 guys now that are having their trucks delivered to Koons during that same time frame. We will probably all be on the same truck.

Redd_Jedd

Reaction score
Does anyone put any stock into the KBB, Edmunds, and True Car fair purchase, true market value, market average, similar cars sold for prices? Common thought on this thread is we should be targeting 10-15% dealer discounts. When using any of those sites I typically see 8-9% or less as the prices they suggest paying, with KBB barely sneaking into 10-11% at the very bottom end of the their fair purchase range. Should the numbers on these sites be taken with a grain of salt since perhaps they’re in cahoots with the dealers and/or manufacturer? Or should I expect to lower my bar a little bit since most of this data is based on a zip code specific search and trucks may bring more money in my area than some others? When I’m ready to buy I won’t be afraid to travel, but also don’t want to throw out unrealistic numbers that won’t be taken seriously either.

Most of them get a fee for signing you up and giving you special pricing at local dealers. Usually the price break is $250 to $500. Some people can do better on their own.

Also note this from Wikiedia:

Cox Automotive is a provider of vehicle remarketing services and digital marketing and software for automotive dealers and consumers.[12] Cox Automotive brands include Manheim, Clutch Technologies, Dealer-Auction Ltd, AutoTrader, Kelley Blue Book, vAuto, Dealer.com, Dealertrack, NextGear Capital, Xtime, Vinsolutions and a host of global businesses and brands serving auto dealers, manufacturers and financial institutions.[7]

So the sites that were once dedicated to providing auto buyers information to get a better deal (which they still do to some degree) are now tools of the dealers or services dealers pay for in order to heard customers onto their lots or harvest their data from the various websites they own.

kwilson0288

Reaction score
I'm still in the process of looking for a 2020 Rebel. I decided a few weeks ago that I would just wait until the 2021's were available to order but now that I'm seeing 2020 stock increase in my area, I've been calling around. Is it that crazy for me to be asking for $50k before rebates on a $60.5k MSRP when I have an employee pricing control number? It seems like no one is willing to budge from the EP price they see on the build sheet.

TAL2GK

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat - ordering a 20 or waiting for 21. Apparently a Longhorn with off-road package, 33 gallon tank, Ram Boxes, 3.9 rear end, and saddle interior is a unicorn.

The question that one salesman claimed, is 21s will not be discounted. Time will tell.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m in the same boat - ordering a 20 or waiting for 21. Apparently a Longhorn with off-road package, 33 gallon tank, Ram Boxes, 3.9 rear end, and saddle interior is a unicorn.

The question that one salesman claimed, is 21s will not be discounted. Time will tell.

Typically, factory incentives/rebates are pretty non-existent when the new MY trucks begin hitting the lot. You still might get a dealer discount, but again, probably won’t be as big of a discount as 2020s. Seeing how this year has been with everything going on, especially with the economy, things might be different.

That being said, i believe you can still order 2020s (some options/packages might be restricted). If you can, I would just order a 2020. The discounts will be better on a 2020 versus 2021.

Paultg

Reaction score
Typically, factory incentives/rebates are pretty non-existent when the new MY trucks begin hitting the lot. You still might get a dealer discount, but again, probably won’t be as big of a discount as 2020s. Seeing how this year has been with everything going on, especially with the economy, things might be different.

That being said, i believe you can still order 2020s (some options/packages might be restricted). If you can, I would just order a 2020. The discounts will be better on a 2020 versus 2021.
I was told you can order a 2020 thru August. - Paul G.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I'm still watching numbers closely, and suspect the lack of supply will probably result in low interest rate deals only. Though it's clear new stock is being delivered.

It appears it's just 90 days no payments :rolleyes:

theeuroguy

Reaction score
Purchased 5/26/20 In Dallas, TX. 2020 Ram LoneStar 4X4. Premium Lighting, Bed Utility Group, Night Edition, Big Horn Level 2, F&R Rubber Mats, Black Crystal ClearCoat, Destination Charge. MSRP= $52,600. Offered $42,000 if they gave me the dealer installed side steps for free. Drove off for $45,117 including T,T,L.

MtbkHack

Reaction score
Purchased 5/26/20 In Dallas, TX. 2020 Ram LoneStar 4X4. Premium Lighting, Bed Utility Group, Night Edition, Big Horn Level 2, F&R Rubber Mats, Black Crystal ClearCoat, Destination Charge. MSRP= $52,600. Offered $42,000 if they gave me the dealer installed side steps for free. Drove off for $45,117 including T,T,L.
Nice! Is this cash or FCA financing?

horish

Reaction score
Going to pick up my truck later this evening, and wanted to know what you guys think.
  • 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
  • Hemi w/ eTorque
  • Level 2
  • Advanced Safety
  • Bed Utility
Dealer said I locked in my rebates, $5,500, when I ordered w/ small deposit, so we'll see if that holds true.

Current dealer offer:
MSRP: $61,875
Dealer Discount: $56,616 (8.5%) ($5295)
Rebates: $51,116 (8.9%) ($5500)
Final: $51,116 + TTL (17.4% off MSRP)

Thinking about shooting for $55,000 (11.1%) before rebates, bringing it to $49,300 + TTL (20.0% off MSRP). There's also a trade in there with a low-end fair condition value of ~$5,000, it's actually in pretty good condition, but didn't want to include that, initially. Dealer holdback is also around $1,800.

Interested to hear what some of you guys think. I'm not really concerned with getting the ABSOLUTE best deal possible, I want them to make some money too, so interested in what you guys think would be a fair price, as well.

horish

Reaction score
Ended up walking away, out of principal. The there were $1000 worth of rebates that they said they could lock in if I put down a small deposit that went away, they said they discounted my truck to make up for it. But, they offered me $1000 less than the low-end fair market value for my trade, for reasons like worn seat cushions and weatherstripping, and wouldn't budge. I had asked for $6500, since that was the middle of the fair market value from Edmunds and KBB, but would have been fine with $5000. I wasn't willing to pay for the rebates that they said they could guarantee.

They were at $55,800, essentially preferred pricing discount, before rebates. Had they not become shady near the end of the conversations, I'd have a new truck right now. I went in prepared to walk away as much as I was prepared to buy, so I'm not too bothered by it. We'll see if they call in a few days, but even if they do, I don't know if I'll go back.

theeuroguy

Reaction score
Nice! Is this cash or FCA financing?
Paid cash, but refused to say how I was going to pay until the contract had the “OTD” price on it. How I pay for it is none of their business (the way I view it). Got burned like that once, not again,

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ended up walking away, out of principal. The there were $1000 worth of rebates that they said they could lock in if I put down a small deposit that went away, they said they discounted my truck to make up for it. But, they offered me $1000 less than the low-end fair market value for my trade, for reasons like worn seat cushions and weatherstripping, and wouldn't budge. I had asked for $6500, since that was the middle of the fair market value from Edmunds and KBB, but would have been fine with $5000. I wasn't willing to pay for the rebates that they said they could guarantee.

They were at $55,800, essentially preferred pricing discount, before rebates. Had they not become shady near the end of the conversations, I'd have a new truck right now. I went in prepared to walk away as much as I was prepared to buy, so I'm not too bothered by it. We'll see if they call in a few days, but even if they do, I don't know if I'll go back.

This seems to be becoming the norm with FCA salespeople/dealers. I walked from a similar situation in March and again yesterday. I'm not going to play games with these people and will not buy out of emotion. Now, its principle because even if these asses finally come to their senses and make this right, I still likely will not buy from them out of principle. I'm ready to buy BUT ready and willing to wait another 4 months also

Paultg

Reaction score
Good for you. I am also totally done with the dealer games.
That is why I searched here for dealers like Koons and Criswell. My time is too valuable to deal with BS.
Both these dealers are close enough for me which is nice (8hr drive or short flight).
I didn't deal with Koons because they changed the discount to 6% (forum post was 8% off invoice) & higher fee).
That alone made me dislike the situation and I was out. But, the Criswell price and Koons price would have been within a few under dollars, unless Koons went back to 8% then they would be cheaper for my specific truck
Carl at Criswell has been great though and very responsive too, no BS.

I'm no longer going to try to work on a deal with dealers and go through all this BS.
Just find a dealer that is high volume and can offer great pricing and be done.
Luckily I'm not in a hurry to have a vehicle either so it gives me that option. - Paul G.

TexasDrone

Reaction score
Ask them to show you the buyers order sheet. Look at the pricing in the center on the bottom. How I negotiate is find the very bottom number on far right as seen in this picture. Most will want to sell for $500 above that however I try to get some of the HB (Dealer Hold Back) in this case it was $2502. I ended up getting $1500 off the 79141 plus any rebates when it showed up. Now look at EP (Employee Pricing) if they ever run that again, JUMP.
d45dcf9131a081cf1ac4b53dea5f156d.plist

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS
2020 Jayco NorthPoint 382FL

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online