5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I agree, dealers are playing a dangerous game because I can wait far longer than they can. I'm willing to wait past August if I have to but seeing the prices in February/March, I now have a baseline. I'm holding out for 27 -30+% off on a limited
I think educated buyers willing to negotiate are the minority going into dealerships. They don't push things like fabric protection because the average consumer is informed.

For every buyer like you, I bet there's at least one other buyer ready to get taken advantage of on their trade, purchase, warranties and financing. Dealerships don't need educated buyers like you, they need emotional ones.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think educated buyers willing to negotiate are the minority going into dealerships. They don't push things like fabric protection because the average consumer is informed.

For every buyer like you, I bet there's at least one other buyer ready to get taken advantage of on their trade, purchase, warranties and financing. Dealerships don't need educated buyers like you, they need emotional ones.

One? I was thinking for every one buyer like me, there's at least 20-30 uninformed. Its my opinion that they see educated buyers as not worth the hassle and would rather lose that sale waiting for the 20+ easier ones that ARE coming behind. The last few months of the IDGAF attitude they've had makes me firmly believe that and they are not really hurting for sales now.

I had a dealer that played games in February and caused me to walk away from a deal a day before the rebates ended. They (the sales manager) called me a couple weeks ago and asked if I was still interested in the truck. After i told them yes, at the right price, he then told me "well, the rebates have ended and the price has gone up about $3K so if you're willing to pay a little more, we can have you in the truck today. I asked him if he was f----ng stupid? Did you hear what you asked me, to come pay "a little more"? Generally you call and give the potential customer a better price, not a worse price.
Him: well yes, I know it sounds a little strange....

These dealers have lost their minds

Last edited:

Redd_Jedd

Reaction score
One? I was thinking for every one buyer like me, there's at least 20-30 uninformed. Its my opinion that they see educated buyers as not worth the hassle and would rather lose that sale waiting for the 20+ easier ones that ARE coming behind. The last few months of the IDGAF attitude they've had makes me firmly believe that and they are not rally hurting for sales now.

I had a dealer that played games in February and caused me to walk away from a deal a day before the rebates ended. They (the sales manager) called me a couple weeks ago and asked if I was still interested in the truck. After i told them yes, at the right price, he then told me "well, the rebates have ended and the price has gone up about $3K so if you're willing to pay a little more, we can have you in the truck today. I asked him if he was f----ng stupid? Did you hear what you asked me, to come pay "a little more"? Generally you call and give the potential customer a better price, not a worse price.

I agree that the number of uninformed buyers is much higher than a 50-50 ratio. And as you point out, they usually drop the high pressure routine once they realize the working with an educated buyer can't be bullied, pressured or scared into a sale. That's why when they say "We need to make some money on the deal!" I point to any random customer on the lot and tell them they are making enough money on that person for the both of us.

It's all a numbers game to them. And they get enough people over paying to compensate for the small amount of deals they only clear a couple of bucks on.

And with 30 million people loosing their jobs in the past 6 weeks, auto sales are only going to head down to force their hands. And they need to face the fact that the number of people looking to buy/able to buy $40K to $70K trucks is getting small, fast.

Last edited:

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One? I was thinking for every one buyer like me, there's at least 20-30 uninformed. Its my opinion that they see educated buyers as not worth the hassle and would rather lose that sale waiting for the 20+ easier ones that ARE coming behind. The last few months of the IDGAF attitude they've had makes me firmly believe that and they are not really hurting for sales now.

Maybe, but if I remember correctly, you had a pretty solid deal going and passed on it expecting to see something better. Now the prices are $3k higher and you don’t have that new truck.

I think the hardest part of the game is realizing you have a good deal on your hands and taking it. I wheeled and dealed until I hit my target price, and then worked below that. It was seriously challenging for me to talk myself into spending the money even after I hit my own target. It’s easy to get caught up in the game and unsure if you can do better elsewhere. Don’t be immobilized by fear once you hit a reasonable target price. Prices change daily and monthly and those fantastic rebates that got you to 25%+ off sticker might not be around next month...

SickSix

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger yesterday! Had to order from factory.
2020 Limited 4X4, HEMI eTorque, 3.21 gears, Black Appearance, Advanced Safety Group, sunroof.

MSRP $68,190
-$0 rebates (have to see what's available at time of delivery).
-$9345 additional negotiated at dealer (6% off invoice: $62,588).
=$58,845 current price, $500 deposit to place order.
They did low ball me on my trade-in by $2500, but said it was because they can't predict the trade-in value when the truck gets delivered. I'll probably end up selling that privately anyway.

I highly recommend contacting Craig at Koons and asking for a price sheet from him. Then use that to negotiate with your local dealer. My dealer started at 4% off invoice, but with Craig's info, I got them to go up to 6%.
They were shocked that another dealer was offering that kind of deal, and supplying the form showing invoice, holdback, friends&family, and employee pricing. I could see the look on their faces that they had just lost all bargaining power.

BowDown

Reaction score
Maybe, but if I remember correctly, you had a pretty solid deal going and passed on it expecting to see something better. Now the prices are $3k higher and you don’t have that new truck.

I think the hardest part of the game is realizing you have a good deal on your hands and taking it. I wheeled and dealed until I hit my target price, and then worked below that. It was seriously challenging for me to talk myself into spending the money even after I hit my own target. It’s easy to get caught up in the game and unsure if you can do better elsewhere. Don’t be immobilized by fear once you hit a reasonable target price. Prices change daily and monthly and those fantastic rebates that got you to 25%+ off sticker might not be around next month...

Correct but this was one of those deals and we came to an agreement on the price. I was ready to sign when they threw in a mandatory warranty and the sales manager refused to honor the internet sales managers price causing a $4500 price increase.
It was at that point that I walked away from the "solid deal".

ktl5005

Reaction score
What does everyone think the incentives are going to be tomorrow starting 5/1???

Also, has anyone email Craig at Koons at the group buy email recently? I sent him one a week ago and he hasn't gotten back to me

Tcanderson20

Reaction score
What does everyone think the incentives are going to be tomorrow starting 5/1???

Also, has anyone email Craig at Koons at the group buy email recently? I sent him one a week ago and he hasn't gotten back to me
I sent him one yesterday and he was off. He emailed me back first thing this morning. Shoot it to him again

BowDown

Reaction score

I expect them to be the same as they are now. They may have another mid May but I don't expect anything good til June

texas_guy90

Reaction score
Need some advice/opinions. I started talking to a dealership that has a 2020 Ram Rebel MSRP $57,620 with $3,500 in Ram rebates and $7,111 in dealer savings that comes out to $47,009. I asked the guy to send the invoice of the truck which shows the price to be $54,009. Trucks been sitting on their lot for 58 days. Do y'all think there is more room to negotiate? He did mention if I went with the 0% APR for 84 months the Ram rebates would not apply (but I'm assuming they can add on to dealer savings if I asked).

DeDax

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has traded a 19' for a 20' to take advantage of all the incentives? I bought my 19' in the summer of 18' so almost 2 years old, with 29k miles now. But at 0%/84 months, and with the equity I have in the truck I think I would walk away with a new truck for less than I am paying now.

AK103

Reaction score
Fair warning to anyone looking to get buyer protection on 0% 84 months from Craig at Koons on a truck order -
THEY WILL NOT HONOR IT.

They are more than aware that FCA does offer buyer protection, and you're completely eligible for it but per Craig their dealership GM will not honor it.

This was sadly the nail in the coffin for me to look elsewhere.
When it's time to pick it up, what will stop the GM from claiming they're not going to honor and rebates or promos?

Redd_Jedd

Reaction score

I expect them to be the same as they are now. They may have another mid May but I don't expect anything good til June

I'd agree. Manufacturers seem to be content at the moment to use whatever cash reserves they have before resorting to helping dealers with steeper rebates to increase foot traffic.

Tcanderson20

Reaction score
Fair warning to anyone looking to get buyer protection on 0% 84 months from Craig at Koons on a truck order -
THEY WILL NOT HONOR IT.

They are more than aware that FCA does offer buyer protection, and you're completely eligible for it but per Craig their dealership GM will not honor it.

This was sadly the nail in the coffin for me to look elsewhere.
When it's time to pick it up, what will stop the GM from claiming they're not going to honor and rebates or promos?
I just got a call from Craig and he said the only way they will lock it in is if he does 5% under invoice. Time to shop elsewhere with the invoice he provided of 8%

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay received a counter. Laramie 1500 crew off road MSRP 56280
their initial offer 43500
My offer 41500
Their final counter 42,500
Thoughts? I receive 4500 in rebates. 9220 dealer discount. By my math that’s 25% off MSRP. Do I pull trigger or hope may-July rebates improve? Only other moving part is to this point, my trade price has not been altered since I began all this pre covid. If used market has a glut there is no promise my trade will be worth as much as it is today. Thoughts? I could just be trading more rebate for less value on trade
If you like the truck, I would take that deal.

AK103

Reaction score
I just got a call from Craig and he said the only way they will lock it in is if he does 5% under invoice. Time to shop elsewhere with the invoice he provided of 8%

Yeah, extremely shady.
They seem to try to get your down payment, and once the truck comes they'll play the "GM won't honor it" card again.

Hard pass for me.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
If you like the truck, I would take that deal.
Reasonable counters. Do you want the truck as equipped/colors/gears etc yes or no? If you want/need one now, then that price seems fair. If you have reliable transportation, you could just wait. Nothing wrong with waiting till September for year-end deals too. It’s all up to you. If you are driving something ratty or old then believe me these trucks are NICE.

I watched a YT last night of a guy who moved up from a 1995 3/4 ton with a 460 to a 2019 with a 6.2 gas (both Ferds). He was absolutely amazed at the differences.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Yeah, extremely shady.
They seem to try to get your down payment, and once the truck comes they'll play the "GM won't honor it" card again.

Hard pass for me.
I’m sorry to hear from both potential buyers that K—-z played games with you. Here I thought that my experience a full year ago was “untypical” due to recent “they are wonderful” posts.
I threw in the towel and just bought fairly local after getting pissed off with them. Hopefully either they will chase you and firm things up or you can find something better close to you.
That sucks to get all ready to buy and happy about the deal to then get the proverbial rug pulled out from underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread