5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

NJC1684

Reaction score
Totally wasted half a day at Zeigler CJDR in Schaumburg, IL. Drove a limited that I came in with the intent to buy using the 0% for 84 promotion.

MSRP was $70k. Dealer’s first offer was a ridiculous $67,500. After some back and forth the manager’s “best price” was $65k or 7% off.

Ended up leaving and getting a quote for $10k off a limited from another dealer including the 0% offer. I’ll stop by there later this week.

Clearly the dealers aren’t feeling the pain yet.
How far is Laura in Sullivan, MO?

Memphsi87

Reaction score
Found a Rebel that's $63,280 MSRP they're only giving a $5,000 dealer discount on it.
What's a realistic discount to ask for on it?
(Not rebates, as I'm trying to do 0% 84 months)
I just bought a ram rebel, msrp of 62390, so very similar In price and got them down to 55000 even before rebates. They tried a 6% initial offer, then 9% and wound up with a little over 11% when I said I would buy that today. I would say after reading quite a bit on this forum , you should be able to get atleast 10% off a rebel from msrp. Seems easier to get more on laramies and bighorns

Memphsi87

Reaction score
Totally wasted half a day at Zeigler CJDR in Schaumburg, IL. Drove a limited that I came in with the intent to buy using the 0% for 84 promotion.

MSRP was $70k. Dealer’s first offer was a ridiculous $67,500. After some back and forth the manager’s “best price” was $65k or 7% off.

Ended up leaving and getting a quote for $10k off a limited from another dealer including the 0% offer. I’ll stop by there later this week.

Clearly the dealers aren’t feeling the pain yet.
I was just at Ziegler. Same deal with me on a rebel they had, didn’t offer much off. Ended up buying from napelton in Arlington heights, 11% off a rebel before incentives. But beware, Napelton tried to pass fast ones on me with maintenance packages and other add ons in the standard finance papers you initial and sign on.

Nos

Reaction score
New member here with new Ram purchased yesterday!

2020 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4
White Tricoat with Indigo / Frost Interior
Level 1 Equipment
5.7L Hemi w/ Etorque
Anti Spin
33 gallon Fuel Tank
3.92 gears
Trailer brake controller
22” Wheels
Multi Function Tailgate
Panoramic Roof
Body Color Bumper

MSRP - $70,260
Sale Price - $61,828+TTL w/ 0% for 84

thrillracing

Reaction score
New member here with new Ram purchased yesterday!

2020 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4
White Tricoat with Indigo / Frost Interior
Level 1 Equipment
5.7L Hemi w/ Etorque
Anti Spin
33 gallon Fuel Tank
3.92 gears
Trailer brake controller
22” Wheels
Multi Function Tailgate
Panoramic Roof
Body Color Bumper

MSRP - $70,260
Sale Price - $61,828+TTL w/ 0% for 84

Really like that color choice, I would of liked the frost interior but wasn’t an option.

Ordered while the sh*t was hitting the fan..Hydro-Blue Laramie Group 2, Air-suspension, Off-road, Sport, Uconnect 12, power running boards, dual panel moonroof.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nice truck, we have the same colors... thats a good trailer puller with 33 gallon tank and 3.92 gears.

Try to file for your Bonus Drive $250 rebate (google it). You don't need any Allstate insurance, just have to have a non-fca registered vehicle in the family. Takes 6-8 weeks to get your check, all done online.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I shopped the internet discounters for my 2020 3500 and experienced what you all have described. The best deal and honest was Dillon. I ended up buying locally and have attached a redacted copy of my ordered 2020 POC . If you want to keep the dealer honest, ask for a copy of the POC - it is the most revealing document.

Attachments

• 02c-Order-POC JFJ Redaked.pdf
    3.8 KB · Views: 113

Kaag

Reaction score
I shopped the internet discounters for my 2020 3500 and experienced what you all have described. The best deal and honest was Dillon. I ended up buying locally and have attached a redacted copy of my ordered 2020 POC . If you want to keep the dealer honest, ask for a copy of the POC - it is the most revealing document.
What’s a POC

Redd_Jedd

Reaction score
I don't want to pile on too much as everyone is trying to make a living, but I asked from the beginning and numerous times to only provide me with clear breakdowns in the pricing They instead came back with monthly payments and no total cost for the truck. They did finally send me a sort of break down and it looks like they were at about 10% dealer discount with 6k in rebates, but still $4500 on the dot higher than their advertised price. I also questioned the taxes they were charging. I'm not completely in tune with that side of things, but I'm buying as a resident in TN. They had my taxes about $800 higher than what the county website said my tax bill was going to be. Their doc fee was $599 if anyone is curious. I explained to them that I had spoken to a one of the sites vendors who offered a greater dealer discount off the bat and they came back and said there is no way and they must be lying to you to get you into the dealership.

Screw that. Dealers lobby for this system where it is illegal for consumers to buy directly from auto manufacturers.

And then they play games like false price advertising or other unethical tricks:
"Well that price includes rebates you don't qualify for" - (rebates are discounts to the buyer and should not be added into "dealer discounts")

"Well that price does not include some dealer add-ons we've already installed that can't be uninstalled" (which really means they are grossly over charging for a can of Scotch Guard, paint protection (wax), window etching and door edge guard tape, which cost less than $100 combined)

"Oops, did we add freight into the price twice?" (hoping the buyer didn't notice or doesn't realize freight is already included in the MSRP)

Let's not forget slipping in extra costs at the last second when sitting at the finance desk, accidentally including a discount they'll have to take back right before the buyer is ready to sign, low balling trade-ins, and the list goes on.

When a sales person says to me "We need to make some money on the deal too", I point to anyone other in buyer on the lot and say, "You're going to make enough profit off of that person for the both of us.".

Buyers didn't create this secretive system where dealers don't consider it unethical to rip off people in any of the ways listed above. And most dealers are more than well off financially. Sales people may be stuck in the middle, but they know how they system works and most won't warn the uneducated buyer they are getting fleeced.

Bobbyray

Reaction score
I've actually been speaking with them. They wont sell at that price. It includes about $4000 in rebates that you most likely don't qualify for including veteran, first responder, realtor association, recent equipment purchase from Case or Holland Equipment, Truck conquest, etc.

There may have also been a "one armed juggler" rebate in there too. Not sure.

I didn't qualify for all the rebates, but the dealership gave me the discounts anyway.

NonToxic628

Reaction score
I didn't qualify for all the rebates, but the dealership gave me the discounts anyway.

So you are saying that they didn't care and they sold you the truck for the advertised price without qualifying for a slew of rebates? Do you have an offer sheet from them saying that? What trim?

Last edited:

NJMonark

Reaction score
I purchased my 2020 Limited on 03/14 for $16.5k off sticker. I had gotten them to agree to $17k but while they were processing everything, I lost $500 because it was $500 cash or 0% for 36 months. (A week or two before they offered 0% for 84 months). Dealer in northern NJ.

BowDown

Reaction score
Hmmm, Neiman Marcus, Dillard’s, J.C. Penney, Kohl’s, Levi Strauss, Macy’s, Nordstrom are all poised to file BK this week due to Covid19. While I hate to see anyone lose their job it looks like the economic fallout is starting. Curious if this changes dealers attitudes towards potential buyers

JKlem

Reaction score
Hmmm, Neiman Marcus, Dillard’s, J.C. Penney, Kohl’s, Levi Strauss, Macy’s, Nordstrom are all poised to file BK this week due to Covid19. While I hate to see anyone lose their job it looks like the economic fallout is starting. Curious if this changes dealers attitudes towards potential buyers

All businesses that were headed out of business anyways. How can we be told to have 6 months of emergency funds when businesses can’t go 1 month?

Not to get off topic .... I am waiting until May now For sure.

BowDown

Reaction score
All businesses that were headed out of business anyways. How can we be told to have 6 months of emergency funds when businesses can’t go 1 month?

That ain't no S.
I'm waiting till May or even June, no rush

bigben542

Reaction score
I purchased my 2020 Limited on 03/14 for $16.5k off sticker. I had gotten them to agree to $17k but while they were processing everything, I lost $500 because it was $500 cash or 0% for 36 months. (A week or two before they offered 0% for 84 months). Dealer in northern NJ.

Curious as to what dealer that may be? I’m in eastern Pa and still our dealers can’t sell so I’ve been looking in other states, which I would have done anyways but that sounds like someone to check in to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redd_Jedd

Reaction score

Things may to start tighten for dealers and car makers.

Depending on their account terms with some of their suppliers (net 30, 45, 60), the end of this month may be the last payment suppliers get from manufacturers until they open plants and start producing cars again.

I also saw some stories where dealers were not taking back leased cars when people went to turn them, forcing people to take a new vehicle or extend their lease. This leaves some people in a spot because they feel they need to keep insurance and registration on those cars. in addition to keep paying for the lease. One person said the dealership told them to be patriotic because of the pandemic (not bothering to ask if the person had lost their job and couldn't afford to extend or take a new lease). Another said no one is on site to accept turn ins, but they are on site for new deals. More dealer shenanigans. Breach of contract is OK if they do it.

Users who are viewing this thread