5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

glennf14

Reaction score
Type in "car loan calculator" on google to get a quick look at the total cost of a loans. See attached pic.

In my example, if you were to finance $50k at 4% for 72 months, you'd actually end up paying $6,323 in interest. So the "break even" point is if you literally got $6,323 in incentives from FCA. If you don't have a trade (like me), and you're looking at Laramie, Longhorn, or Limited (like me), the incentives aren't as good as the Big Horn. So for me the 0% financing would be a great option, unless some bank was willing to give me a super low rate.

My example assumes the best interest rate you think you can get is 4%. Others have mentioned their credit union had much better rates, so you'll have to adjust it for your own situation and see if the 0% is better, or if the FCA incentives are better. My credit union's rates are not that great unfortunately :-/

The current 5-year Treasury bond yields 2.88%, and the 10-year is yielding 3.13% (as of today). So if you have great credit maybe you could get a 72 month rate from a bank in the low 3's.

Hope this helps someone!

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 5.46.02 PM.png

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
I have had this happen 3 times and returned home empty-handed. You have to be good with this possibility and the expense, because if you are in a mindset that you cannot waste the trip you will compromise and definitely feel unsatisfied later on.

That's kind of yikes, isn't it? How much were your travel costs? You'd be eating the cost of another one way bus/train/plane ticket, plus probably a night in a hotel room. If you were going across country, that's quite a hit. Did you have the quotes in writing each time and they backed out, or they just weaseled out on ineligible rebates that were large enough to significantly offset the unanticipated travel?

JonR88

Reaction score
Did you get an EP (Employee Price) code for your deal ?

On the attached sheet the EP price says $55,643. I am guessing that means Employee Price?

Also, the rebates I am beung told I will get are as follows:

1. Denver BC Retail Consumer Cash 74CK1 = $2,000
  2. 2019 On The Job 500 Commercial Equipment/Upfit = $500
  3. Black Friday Retail Bonus Cash = $1,000
  4. Denver 2019 Bonusg Cash DECKA = $750
  5. Denver BC Bonus Cash DECKF = $500
  6. USAA = $1,000
  7. Business Owner = $500
I also signed up for Tread Lightly last night which should give me another XXX number of dollars off the truck. I have to be a member for 30 days though, so we will see on that one.

Last edited:

AnthonyJS02

Reaction score
I was lurking on this thread and in these forums for a long while. Thanks for all the great advice and information here!

On Tuesday, I purchased a Laramie crew cab with the short bed in Maryland...here's what the numbers ended up being:

$57,345 MSRP (including destination)
$42,956 "negotiated price"
$45,250 sale price (includes all discounts, $299 maryland processing fee, $300 title/tags, destination)

Add 6% sales tax to the sale price and that's what I paid to get out the door.

I did not use Chrysler financing else the price would be $500 less. I also did not qualify for any of the highly conditional rebates.

Also, a couple dealers I was working with mentioned the same thing independently to me. Given they couldn't meet the price I wanted to pay, they mentioned sales are not particularly awesome this month for RAM, and they expected to be able to beat my price as soon as middle of next week.

Those dealers said November sales started strong, which is why a couple of the coupons were pulled mid-month. However, sales have slowed dramatically and they expect much stronger incentives next Monday/Tuesday, whenever the black friday rebates and coupons expire.

Obviously, YMMV, they may be applying a lens of the mid-atlantic and they may have just been doing their best to keep me from buying a truck from a competitor, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

cmdr.....where in maryland did you purchase from? Im in maryland and been looking at like Heritage, Tate, Ourisman and a few others....

Micko24

Reaction score
Been reading this thread for a while and appreciate all the info you all have shared.

Two questions
Has anyone in Colorado gotten 10k off MSRP? The best I've done is get a Limited from 63k MSRP to 56k including rebates thus negating the financing option currently available. I've reached out to about 8 dealers in metro Denver and that's about as good as I've seen. This seems more costly than many others are getting. Earlier in the thread someone referenced the inflated prices in Denver, curious if that's still the case.

Secondly, I looked online at Boise Idaho dealer Dennis Dillon who had prices much lower (63k MSRP down to 51,572) Has anyone flown in from out of state and driven their car back home? I'm in Northern Colorado so it'd only be 12 hours and a good opportunity to get to know my new truck! Thank you in advance!

I live here in Boise and bought a Laramie long horn, MSRP 65k total OTD 52300 including tax, title and BS fees. I believe we have the best pricing here in Idaho.

SuperShortMag

Reaction score
Thanks for this. Just to make sure that I understand the numbers correctly. Is the 'Paid' column their final OTD price or does it exclude TTL, fees, etc?

You're welcome
Before tax, title and fees. Figured they would be different by state and most people gave the before price.

Runagun

Reaction score
I think you have the best pricing anywhere. In Illinois They gave 15k off a 68k msrp but my taxes where 4k in itself. So all in all I paid 58k. You my friend got a steal. Congrats.

I live here in Boise and bought a Laramie long horn, MSRP 65k total OTD 52300 including tax, title and BS fees. I believe we have the best pricing here in Idaho.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Seems on the East coast we may be better off buying from Idaho via phone and just paying for shipping.

Micko24

Reaction score
There’s deals here in Idaho. If you don’t mind the distance. Dennis Dillon Ram Boise has great pricing.

geotex1

Reaction score
That's kind of yikes, isn't it? How much were your travel costs? You'd be eating the cost of another one way bus/train/plane ticket, plus probably a night in a hotel room. If you were going across country, that's quite a hit. Did you have the quotes in writing each time and they backed out, or they just weaseled out on ineligible rebates that were large enough to significantly offset the unanticipated travel?

Different experiences actually each time. First time was with a CPO GM K2500 that was supposed to cherry and babied. Didn't take me more than 20 minutes to identify it had been used as a plow truck and had a significant collision repair done. Their claim was their buyer and mechanic, and if you know the CPO process the mechanic has to have additional level of certification, saw none of this! Second was with a classic car I had been in search of - owner represented it to be way more than it was. Third was with buying a new truck in 2014 - put $1500 bank transfer deposit down on a phone negotiated deal till I could fly out on the Monday and do the paperwork and drive home - I needed the vehicle right then because mine had been totaled. They sold the truck out from under me!!!

First one, buyer beware and my expense but nothing out of pocket as I used credit card points to buy the ticket. Second one, also buyer beware and that was $$$. Third, well let's just say my evidence was solid and the owner dealership conglomerate saw the light of paying for my travel, expenses, and handing over a check and personal apology before I turned my lawyer fully loose.

Horkn

Reaction score

I've been looking at the webpage, and I don't see any place where you can request a brochure.

Also, it's good to hear that it sounds as if ram will offer better deals starting in December. Typically though, dealers of any brand want to move vehicles by the end of the calendar year. They always spend the most money on local advertising at that time.
I'm conflicted though. The gladiator was just announced, but I'd have to wait until quarter 2 of 2019 for that. Then there's no v8, but it has top off capability. To get the pano roof on a ram, it costs more, but the back seat area and bed are bigger. Then there's the v8....

professorwest

Reaction score
Is there Price room below Employee Price (which I have)? Looking at a Limited with $3,750 rebates/incentives

glennf14

Reaction score
Is there Price room below Employee Price (which I have)? Looking at a Limited with $3,750 rebates/incentives
depends on if the dealer gets their holdback for EP sales. I think they do. HB is 3% of MSRP (without the dest fee). You could try to get some of the HB off of the EP price. The EP price is already pretty sweet though, plus whatever FCA incentives you and your zip code qualify for.

professorwest

Reaction score
I’m at $3750 with EP and stackingvwhat I can in Atlanta. I’m going in tomorrow to finalize before end of month. But I hesitate on two things.

1. I can beat him up on some hold back
2. I hear December incentives could be even sweeter. Si I’m inclined to be like, I’ll wait till December.
3. Is there any way to hedge your bets. Meaning if you buy tomorrow and the incentives drop next week are better ... can you get those?

Thanks for your response

Last edited:

RedKnightRG

Reaction score
Wow, thanks!

Longhorn, two tone (any), 4x4, Equip Group 1, Security Group, Twin Panel, V8 etorque.

Things I don't want - air suspension, towing package.

Thanks Red!

No problem. Twotones are not common so you definitely cut down on the options by looking for them. I wasn't sure which packages Security Group and Twin Panel refer to so I left those off and I don't have an easy to say without X but I'll PM you a list of every longhorn, twotone, 4x4, equip group 1, V8 etorque in the US. (530 trucks!)

runamuck

Reaction score
I bought my Laramie CCSB 4x4 off road sport pkg. 56766$ msrp for 44351$ . taxes and fees were 798$ . I am in the DFW metro area. They gave me 40059$ for my 2017 sierra 1500 slt ccsb 4x4

zman9119

Reaction score
Well, looks like I'm headed back in to do some negotiating this morning. Hopefully get to leave with a new baby today.

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
No problem. Twotones are not common so you definitely cut down on the options by looking for them. I wasn't sure which packages Security Group and Twin Panel refer to so I left those off and I don't have an easy to say without X but I'll PM you a list of every longhorn, twotone, 4x4, equip group 1, V8 etorque in the US. (530 trucks!)

Great! That'll take a while to sort through, really appreciate it!

fastarget

Reaction score
Negotiating as I write with a dealer in CO, on a 2019 limited they would have to bring from Denver. Gave them JonR88's list(below),
so far 7k off, 5 dealer discount, 2 rebate......may qualify for Business owner and Sams still. Suggestions?

1. Denver BC Retail Consumer Cash 74CK1 = $2,000
  2. 2019 On The Job 500 Commercial Equipment/Upfit = $500
  3. Black Friday Retail Bonus Cash = $1,000
  4. Denver 2019 Bonusg Cash DECKA = $750
  5. Denver BC Bonus Cash DECKF = $500
  6. USAA = $1,000
  7. Business Owner = $500

Users who are viewing this thread